1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jackie Butler Tonight.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by matty101, Oct 11, 2007.

1. matty101

matty101 Member

Now before you guys flame me, i know that he had only 4 minutes at the end of the game, but to me he just seemed lack luster and disinterested. There was one play in particular on defense when he stepped out to guard the guy coming off the screen and then just didnt bother even TRYING to get back to his man after he got the ball. I think it was left to Hayes or Landry to foul him to stop the easy 2.

I understand his time was limited but wouldnt that mean he would give 110% to show the coaching staff what he can do. Im just saying this because people are earmarking him as a possible back up to yao when deke retires. Im not sure he has what it takes.

What ya'll think?

PS. He looked like Kimbo tonight :D

2. BlackSombrero

BlackSombrero Member

Jackie Butler played tonight? I didn't even notice...

I heard he has been slightly injured so which may have contributed to his "lack of interest".

3. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

i swear it was cato out there... ;)

4. darnbni99a

darnbni99a Member

he wont make the roster....

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He didn't look great in the few minutes he was on the floor. He's seems to be a poor fit in Adelman's offense, so if he's going to get any sort of significant minutes with this team he needs to be a presence defensively and on the boards. It wouldn't hurt him to lose 20-30 lbs either.

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

He played 4 minutes when we were up by 40 and his contract is guaranteed. I'm shocked he didn't look like an all-star.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm not sure he will make the team.

8. uchlha

uchlha Member

ship him to charlotte for a 2nd round + TE

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We're stuck with him, unless he's traded. It's the price we paid for Scola. Butler has a team option in '09. Yes, it sucks. The irony is that Scola may be the first option at center behind Yao, as well as the starter at the 4. Viva Scola! gives us a different look at the 5, has more size than a lot thought, and fits perfectly, IMO, with what Adelman wants to do. Hayes (and Harris, I hope) may see more minutes at the 4 as a result. Deke won't see a lot of time, except in spots, which is OK. The Spurs must be actively kicking themselves in the rear right now.

10. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

I can see him making the team. What happens if Deke goes down? Who do we sign to play Center? Yao's not guaranteed to stay healthy either.

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Exactly. I was considering starting at thread discussing Scola as the primary backup at Center. I definitely think it could work.

12. rodmanhust

rodmanhust Member

4min, 0 pts, 0as, 0rb 0f.
    man at least get a foul! lol

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

14. scola

scola Member

I really don't see Scola playing as a C. Specially on the defensive end... you have to take into account that Panathinaikos hasn't got much firepower between the big men, it will be different against NBA teams.

15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I think he can cover most NBA centers. He seems to have the grit and the size to handle modern Centers since the position is so watered down these days. Quickness seems to be the name of the game now days and Deke and Butler are sorely lacking in that department

He looked good against Tyson Chandler on Tuesday and there are not many longer, more athletic centers in the world. Of course, against the big, heavy centers he will be undersized but those are the nights when Deke can come in and wreak havoc.

16. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Agreed 100%!! :p

17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

And how many traditional centers do you see out there these days? The best one is on his team... That leaves Dwight Howard, Shaq...Chris Kaman but barely...and finally Eddy Curry may be too fat and slow for Scola to guard. Everybody else that plays the 5 in the NBA Scola should be just fine against. The other good ones (Chandler, Amare) make their money out-quicking their center-counterparts, and I think that's where Scola fits in well because he will be able to defend the centers that face up even better than Yao could. I like it, Adelman. Rack it!

18. battousai

battousai Member

if i am mistaken, scola was playing 4 and hayes was playing 5.

couple of times Yao subbed Hayes and vise versa.

19. battousai

battousai Member

if i am mistaken, scola was playing 4 and hayes was playing 5.

couple of times Yao subbed Hayes and vise versa.

and, no scola can't guard the other centers. he is not a physical player, hayes is a better defender at the 5 than him.

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

Or Hayes can just break their legs :p