1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jack Sikma Could join staff

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketlaunch, Jun 12, 2007.

1. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4884413.html

Ex-Sonics great Sikma could join Rockets coaching staff

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

A month after Hakeem Olajuwon worked with Yao Ming on a move that Olajuwon called "the Jack Sikma, " Yao could soon be learning from the original.

Sikma is close to becoming the second member of Rick Adelman's Rockets coaching staff, joining Elston Turner, an NBA official said Tuesday.

Turner said last week he would join Adelman with the Rockets.

Former Rockets player Mario Elie is scheduled to interview with Adelman for a position this week.

Current Rockets assistant Steve Clifford is close to becoming the first of Jeff Van Gundy's assistants to move; he seems to be close to joining Stan Van Gundy in Orlando.

Sikma, 51, returned to the Seattle SuperSonics bench for the 2003-04 season and has been coaching with the team for which he starred since. He became available with the coaching change in Seattle.

Sikma, the eighth player chosen in the 1977 draft, is the Sonics all-time leader in rebounds and free throws, is second in blocked shots and third in scoring, using the turnaround jumper Olajuwon demonstrated to Yao. He finished his career with the Milwaukee Bucks, retiring after the 1990-91 season. The Sonics retired his number in 1992.

Rockets officials would not comment on ongoing talks with assistant coaches.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well, that was out of left field... hmm.... signs of things to come with regard to Yao? I remember Sikma's game and it sure as hell isn't how Yao's been developed to-date. I wonder if this is a "for Yao" move or not.

3. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Good hire. My guess is Sikma will work with Yao a lot.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If peopel perceive Yao to be regressing, I wonder if there would be a cry to get Jack off the team.

5. SonKhan

SonKhan Member

mistake to let Thibadeau get away.

Yao will suffer from a basketball standpoint this coming season.

Can you say backslide?

6. Vivid

Vivid Member

Do you assume Yao will just forget everything he has been taught up to date??? He is a smart cerebral player and he will learn what will improve his game from Sikma...He also just learned a few things from Dream...You really think Yao will regress?
    -V

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If Yao "backslides" because Thibodeau left then he isn't the great player we all that he is.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I don't see how Yao has improved skill wised since he joined the league. Every improvement in his play can be directly attributed to the Folsone. Holding his ground, stamina, balance, and speed are due to the work Folsone has done and not anything that JVG's staff has done.

9. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

I think Feigan is pulling it from this paper which reported this first.

10. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

I didn't get to see Sikma play until the tail-end of his career. Isn't he notoriously soft for a big man?

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

excellent observation.

all yao has is:

1. a turnaround jumper
    2. a drop step which he hooks the defender for an offensive foul each time
    3. one dribble move into the paint for a fade-away jumper.

if he had a real post coach working with him his arsenal would look more like:

1. jump hook - for yao this is unguardable.
    2. baseline power dribble w/option to spin back middle - finish w/hook or jumper
    3. turnaround jumper

12. Possum

Possum Member

Agreed. What skill has improved? Only physical ability. He has been used wrong from day 1. Now maybe he can reach his full potential since he has a coach that understands there is more to his game than being a back to the basket low post player.

For all those who are going to reply "he is 7'6" and 300+ why take him out of the low post" Sit back watch and learn. He will be something special. The likes of which havent been seen before. Only a young Sabonis would of been like this if he hadnt wasted all of his prime playing outside the NBA.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

None of you remember seeing Yao take jump hooks? Interesting...

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2007/05/the_dreams_dream_yao_ming_stud.html

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

you obviously don't understand the art of bashing van gundy at all costs, regardless of how unbelievably ridiculous it sounds. get with the times my man. ;)

15. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

in yaos 5th year he averaged more points than olajuwon did in his 5th year. if you cant see how thibodeau has helped yao at both ends of the floor you are not watching...

16. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

I like this, Sikma is sort of the Yao mold - more finesse than force, good passing, etc. Good hire, I hope it happens.

17. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

How much do Assistant coaches make? 200-500k? I'm curious...

18. xlr817

xlr817 Member

Pls make it so! Also, I hope RA will add ME to the staff! ;) :)

19. Pringles

Pringles Member

there was an article where it says that yao, couldn't work with cd because of jvg. i wonder if that was true? i heard in another article that yao is going to train with cd, since cd doesn't have a job. as a hardworker as yao is, i'm pretty sure hes only going to get better with jack and carrol.

20. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Anymove for someone to work with Yao is a good one. He is not going to backslide, he is going to progress. You don't forget to walk after you learn how to ride a bike. It's a progression. Like a boxer getting a new trainer to teach him something new. Let's not forget that Yao will be getting a healthy dose of CD's instruction this year for the first time since Rudy left. Akeem has always said the biggest coaching influences in his career were Guy V, CD, and Pete Newell. JVG absolutely forbade CD from working with Yao. Not sure why. He will be working on Jump hooks into the middle of the lane and footwork.

Before you JVG lovers come out of the woodwork, this is not JVG hating. This is fact from JVG. Look it up. Most recently it is in the Chron yesterday with Fran B.