1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jack Sikma Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cohete Rojo, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Jack Sikma has had an awesome impact on this team. I remember when RA came in he hired Sikma and it seemed like Yao became a far more than expected superior player under his tenure, and to me it seemed like those two years with Sikma (before Yao's injury) made Yao a far better player than he was before Sikma joined the staff. Say what you will about Ewing (good or bad) but Yao learned and played at a much higer level tutoring under Sikma.

I'm not saying Yao did not improve under other coaches but he seemed to make a leap and bounds improvement once RA and Sikma came here. Not only that, but our other front court players have played at a level above where other front court players played when Yao was out before Sikma came here. Look at last year when we were just a few wins away from the playoffs with a midget front court, to where we are now battlefighting for a playoff spot we a young (Hill and Patterson) and very old (B-Rad) front court.

I'm not trying to give Sikma credit for being the real brains behind Yao and our front court improvement (a la Martz in St. Louis NFL) but if Sikma were head coach in Orlando Dwight Howard would be the GOAT and Orlando would win like the next 5 championships.

I am very happy that Sikma is with the Rockets staff and not off coaching a team like the Orlando Magic.

1 person likes this.
  2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Once Jordan Hill and Patrick Patterson develop, I will give Jack some serious props... :)

#2 RudyTBag, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure he taught Chuck Hayes how to shoot FT. :)

4. YaosDirtyStache

im sure he is nice but he is really really ugly

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. pge71188

pge71188 Member

LOL!!!!

8. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

yao had his best years with tibs working with him...not even close

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

cool story bro time...

ran into Sikma at Pete's piano bar after the game last night. As he walked by i said, tough game tonight. To my surprise, he stopped and we talked for a few minutes about the game.

Classy and very nice man.

10. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Yao also had his worst years with tibs working with him, too. It's when he became injury-prone.

11. gah

gah Member

Wow, I am surprised to hear the truth comming from Adelman's company man. Not to discredit Sikma because I'm sure he helped him become a smater player but Yao hit his maximum peak before he worked with him.

Dumb post.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'd give him the most credit for Landry.

13. conquistador#11

Cleverly disguised Sikma should take over all war efforts once the great monacle resigns due to the "I'm getting to old for this s...tuff" syndrome.

Last night was the first time in a long time that I've seen Coach so upset with everyone refs and our own players. I don't blame him.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I disagree, I haven't seen much from Sikma. CD is probably still making more of an impact working with our posts than Sikma. I mean, I could be wrong, I'm obviously not aware of what hes doing behind the scenes but I just don't see it on the court.

15. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

uh, yao had his best years under the tutelage of ewing and thibs

16. verse

verse Contributing Member

Yao's best years were under JVG. He utilized him as a low post monster, which is where at his height he should have been. No big man with low post skills should ever be relegated to the high post looking for cutters.

1 person likes this.
  17. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Yao's best year was under Adelman in the 08-09 season.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Let's not get crazy - Yao's best years (months) were under JVG and company.

19. alethios

alethios Member

Sikma the heir apparent to Ranger Rick? If this is Rick's last year, then why not give him a shot?

20. SuraGotMadHops

Sikma is a frequent visitor of the Sarku in the Park Shops downtown, he likes to wear windpants.