1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabrari Smith Truly Sucks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Feb 14, 2024.

1. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

I repeat my opening opinion once again after watching last night’s game….don’t care if he added ten pounds as Smith sucks. He makes a few shots here and there but provides zero value when he’s on the floor. He doesn’t take games over on either end of the court and just literally takes up a spot in the lineup. His best games are the ones where we say he’s made a few shots and didn’t hurt us. Wow….that’s exciting stuff from the third pick in the draft who everyone thought was a steal since he should’ve gone number one.

BigShasta, zeeshan2, mario_v and 3 others like this.
  2. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Now we’re comparing Smith to Reggie Miller??? On a side note….fun fact, FVV averages twice as many blocks per game as our tall toothpick.

CantStopJG24 likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hahaha, have a little fun, obviously he has to go to the WCF several times and hit game winners to be considered Reggie Miller.

But his mug is probably as coarse.....

4. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Smith's best minutes came last year when he was small ball 5.

5. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

We should aim for this as benefits most of our roster. JG, Amen, Cam, all would benefit from a cleaner paint a few more minutes every game.

Bo6 likes this.
  6. sefril

sefril Member

I hope he develop go to move in the mid range, like 15 feet shot.. it will open his game so he’s not only camping in 3 point line or awkwardly trying to drive inside..

oh and also more running off the ball please

7. Bo6

Bo6 Member

It was one of the few things Silas did right. Having the other team's 5 matchup with Jabari was usually a win offensively.

We should at least be running it 10 minutes a night. I'd stagger Jabari and Sengun as much as possible.

FVV/Cam/Amen/Tari/Bari

is a lineup I'd be really excited to run against second units.

fryjol7 likes this.
  8. invocux

invocux Member

Him and Sengun has to put muscle on them in the off-season. They still look like kids. Jonas looks like Sengun's dad. Bulky Sengun will be a force in the paint though. Jabari is the same. He is skinny but not strong skinny. He's not Mobley skinny. He's skinny and weak. He's probably weaker than Sengun which is expected because Sengun has at least 30 pounds on him. Jabari isn't strong for a power forward and Sengun isn't strong for a center. Sengun's lower body is strong but upper body isn't. They seriously need to get bulk up. I don't want them to get shredded but i want Jabari to be as strong as John Collins and Sengun to be at strong as Sabonis. They both are realistic expectations imo.

9. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Good post. Assuming they come back next year in similar shape then I believe that we will have no choice but to start Adams at center and Sengun or Smith at PF. I believe Smith to be a non-impact starter, so I’d go with Sengun. Sadly, our current situation requires us to be playing Jeff Green (another undersized and older center) too much. Add inconsistent Brooks and Jalen Green and this team was put together rather poorly by Stone. Surprised no moves were made at the trade deadline.

10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Is anyone going to teach this kid how to man up on defense? He always looks like he gets manhandled by whoever he's guarding.

cheke64 and daywalker02 like this.
  11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

It's disappointing watching him regress from his play in December. Just doesn't look aggressive out there.

BallSoHarden and daywalker02 like this.
  12. conquistador#11

Still laughing. 5 FG attempts. Looked like he was locked on with his shot last night. 5 fga, that's it?

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He has hit the Jabari Wall......customized Wall just for him.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Logical conclusion is to bench Jabari right? :rolleyes:

15. cml750

cml750 Member

He lost his confidence after the last injury so the logical conclusion is to try to get him going early in games. They have been trying and failing with that strategy with Jalen for a while. Jabari is better than Jalen. Send Jalen to the bench and try to get Bari some open looks to begin games. I think that strategy would have helped a lot last night.

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Udoka has no idea on how to get any player going. With Jabari you could be spamming the living sht out of 10-15 foot turnarounds and a killer two man high post game, but instead we get chucking and the fan favorite pick and roll that the entire NBA has figured out how to defend.

17. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

It's hilarious, Jabari is just as bad as Jalen. Jalen gets all the animus while we see nothing but excuses for Jabari.

Imanimal, mario_v and cdastros like this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

that's bc only JGOF's think so. that's the actual hilarious part

When one player is abysmal is so many relevant statistical categories which matches the eye test, nobody is as bad as him.

JGOF's just try to tell themselves otherwise. that's not how reality works

you can add this to the long list of already known bottom of the list. And he puts up nearly the same shot attempts as Sengun

19. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

I think Jalen Green sucks too. But from the moment we drafted Jabari I knew he would suck ass, and if we've been keeping it a buck, he has pretty much sucked ass. His handle is weak. His ability to create offense for himself is limited. His jumpshot is inconsistent. I don't look at him as a lockdown defender like Amen or Tari is. He's not a shot blocker. He's weak mentally.

I'm not sure what redeemable quality Jabari has.

cheke64 and mario_v like this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

problem is he doesn't actually suck. Bari's issues stem from not being aggressive enough and generally stays passive or even keel game to game. He's not a chucker like JG. And being a chucker especially when you can't shoot is far worse then someone who will eventually learn to be more assertive and finding his spots. We've already seen what Bari can do in many games where he is looking for his game more often. And boy are those games pretty and high efficient.

If you don't see redeemable qualities in Bari then you just haven't been paying attention enough.

JayGoogle likes this.