1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari Smith: Know Your Role

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shakes05, Oct 25, 2022.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

A 4-5 game win streak would make last night's spat disappear. Or maybe it will be looked at as a turning point in the season. The early season.

2. PeppermintCandy

Looks like KPJ and Green were on the same page. KPJ was waiting to throw the ball to Green as soon as he comes off a Smith screen.

But Green's defender was pretty tight on him, making it hard for Smith to screen him. But Smith didn't look like he was trying that hard to set that screen, (Christian Wood would've been proud) or maybe he thought it was a different play?

Anyway, Smith also calls out for the ball, making KPJ hesitate and the play gets broken up.

I'm sure they'll go over that one in the film sessions LOL.

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

This is a whole lot of speculation. You have no idea what was said, yet you're extremely sure it's about his defense or or that Jabari was criticized about his game or something.

I can speculate too. Green was on Jabari for not picking up the tab that one time, at Landry's. Now Tilman is mad at Jalen, who in turn, is mad at Jabari. Clearly, that's what that exchange was about.

BonziWellsGOAT and Rolliepollie like this.
  4. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I agree, but EG is that dude and he was just setting there looking dumbfounded. KPJ and Lucas are who stepped in.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I re-watched this a few times. KPJ is trying his best, but if he had turned around, he would have had a couple of opportunities to pass the ball to either Jalen or Jabari. Instead, he ended up taking a crappy shot, because once he moves towards the basket, he only sees the basket. But both Jalen (after the initial effort to break free) and Jabari (who looked kind of lackadaisical on the whole play) could have made more of an effort to break free. KJ Martin and Gordon basically just stand around and just watch during the entire play...

aaquaa and cheke64 like this.
  6. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Clearly Jabari was completely oblivious to anything and was just trying to get the ball for himself much like la fitness bball

Glad he got called out for that little league bs.. this is the NBA .. set an mfing screen for someone or have someone set it for you... no ones giving you the ball at the 3 with a guy in your face why haven't you learned that yet you suck in those situations, post up or come off screen for a 3.

Anyways glad he got called out bet he won't do that again

7. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

How is that his fault lol

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

First he almost turned the ball over. Still 10+ seconds on the shot clock.

[​IMG]

Then he put his head down and decided to barrel towards the basket from almost mid-court, ignoring all four other players on his team, starting at about 7 seconds on the shot clock.

[​IMG]

1 against 5 at this point.

[​IMG]

If he had stopped and quickly turned around, he would have seen that both Jabari and Jalen were free for some moments. And actually KMJ as well. And Gordon could still have gotten a shot off, too.

[​IMG]

But because he only had eyes for the basket, he couldn't see it anymore. The end result was a pretty awful shot, still with 3 seconds on the shot clock. Even when already in the air, he could have still swung it to KMJ who was completely free. But he had decided it was him against the world with just under 10 seconds to go on the shot clock.

[​IMG]

And you know what, Sengun would have probably done a reverse bounce pass to the trailing Green or Bari, or would have thrown a bullet pass to KMJ in the corner. That, ladies and gentlemen, is the difference.

#88 AroundTheWorld, Oct 25, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
  9. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Um no.. what actually happened is that in a tight game KPJ was waiting to hit Jalen green off a pick, when JS screwed that up him and JG were standing in the same general vicinity and he made the correct decision of not making a difficult pass to either of them (with the shot clock running down only for them to end up with the ball 27-30 ft away from the basket), and instead tried to score on his own, which again was JS's fault for standing in one spot with his thumb up his butt.. which anybody that actually watches basketball would understand.

Unless you think that passing the ball to JS standing sideways a foot outside the 3pt line sandwiched between 3 defenders with less than 7 seconds on the shot clock is a good decision.. in which case I would understand why you are confused

Also the reason he almost lost the ball is because JS blew up the play and he was left standing there with the ball in his hand like a dummy lol

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

If this happens again and again then I would be worried . But I don’t think this is a big deal . They are gonna have plenty of time to get to know each other and hang out with this road trip coming up

11. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

I’m pretty sure he got passed the ball several times after that argument .. next thing you know y’all gonna be dissecting wether green or Jabari ever pass to each other lololol

raining threes likes this.
  12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I made no such claim in certainty about anything. If you go back and follow along you'd see that defense seemed to be a speculative thought and I was only adding on to the thought.

When you need to go so far off tangent to try and make a point its probably not a good point. Just sayin'.

13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I went to see the fights and a basketball game broke out.....as they say
    in hockey.

I love the passion, the fight, the grit.

Next time focus the fight and energy towards the enemy (opponents)

groovemachine likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ego strikes me as just plain old relatively speaking.

He doesn't strike me as wise or something sure he knows one thing or the other about shooting, on ball defense and scoring.

I think winning a ship and getting his last big contract should be his priorities.

aaquaa likes this.
  15. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

That passion will translate into a lot of W’s in a year or two :)

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  16. marinara

marinara Member

thats because he was the best player on the team when he got drafted dude Cavs were BUMS.

17. marinara

marinara Member

Serious question, has the person who made the thread played sports?

If so you never argued with a teammate?

18. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Yeah, he's the "I'm too old for this ****" guy. Props to EGO for being one of the few professional athletes "quiet quitting" - he's just a man of the people....

daywalker02 likes this.
  19. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I'm not concerned about the Jabari/Green spat but obviously I'll keep an eye on it. A big part of the reason why this team loses as much as they do is because of poor late game execution. Vets have another level where they tighten up execution, effort, and attention while younger players don't necessarily have the ability to get there or don't realize the need. That's why paying a mostly veteran Jazz team lacking top end talent was a decent test for this team.

I see this as a young team realizing:
    a.) that level is there
    b.) they weren't on that level and
    c.) holding each other accountable for it

...if feeling were hurt, it festers, and the situation isn't resolved/acknowledged, it's a bad thing but if they can have those types of conversations during the game it's actually super important for their development if they are to become the world class team we hope. In short this is either the beginning of the end or the beginning of something very important - a flashpoint if nothing else.

jiggyfly and Plowman like this.
  20. raining threes

Where did you find these stats?

I want to know for future reference.