1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Jabari Smith Jr.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by austinite, Apr 25, 2023.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Why isn't he showing what?

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

7 foot 3&D players are more impactful than poor shooting point guards. Interestingly enough Ivey is ranked 118 and Jabari 119 in fantasy rankings for whatever that is worth.

To my eyes it appears that Jabari is seizing the team. He's demanding the ball and trying to do something with it. He is always active on defense and needs to be that 40% 3pt shooter we all think he can be. Whether it results in stardom remains to be seen. My hunch tells me Cam Whitmore is going to be THAT guy.

3. i3artow i3aller

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's weird but even though it's harder to be a good dribble-up 3 point shooter, it's more valuable to be a C&S 3 point shooter because a dribble up 3 guy who can't really pass or drive against elite defenders is basically just leaving the other 4 guys out of the offense.

anthony59237 and Verbal Christ like this.
  5. meh

meh Contributing Member

I had the MPJ with health and defense going into the draft and while his rookie year made me question it a little bit, I feel a lot better about the comp now. Probably won't quite reach the efficiency of MPJ but in general he is definitely a big man with the ability to shoot from anywhere on the court.

Sengun/Green/Amen may have higher ceilings, but Jabari looks to be most likely to get a max contract because his floor feels really high.

Arnel likes this.
  6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Theoretically it shouldn't be hard for a dribble up 3 point shooter to improve his c&s 3 point shooting

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Jabari played insanely well this preseason and in my eyes Def jumped over both Green and Sengun in terms of playing winning basketball, at least so far anyway.

He showcased all the reasons why most people thought he would go no 1 (accurate sniping, Great defense, athleticism) and also proved how his weaknesses have been improved as a product of last season (ft attempts, taking contact, passing and ball handling).

Dont get me wrong I'm still very high on both Sengun and Green, but Jabari is playing like he can be part of a championship team someday. Maybe not the superstar, but Def a valuable piece on that team ala JJJ/Horford/LMA etc

Arnel, Denovo and Dobbizzle like this.
  8. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

He's definitely ahead of Green's development curve that's for sure. I actually think Green will surprise this season, he's not been featured too heavily in preseason whilst all the sets get put into place, but he's primed. At the end of last season I expected this season to be a breakout year for Sengun and Green with Bari and Tari coming along behind them. I'm almost convinced that we're more likely to see Green and Bari breakout this year (which is great considering they're our highest picks) and Sengun might take a little longer despite his obvious charms.

9. fchowd0311

How is he ahead of Green's development curve?

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think Jabari has Def been more efficient and his shot has been hitting more than Green. Better on defense as well.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I like that, agree that Bari year 2 is better than Green was at the same stage, however, Bari has Ime, where Green was stuck with Silas - as long as they both keep getting better we are golden.

The biggest problem is we need them both to up their efficiency in scoring the ball a lot.....we have a team that has not shot well and we just got rid of two of our most efficient scorers so we need Bari, Tari and Green to score better.

DD

Dobbizzle likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

How?

Two preseason games where half of his shots came from Green's gravity?

Ask Sengun which player is far more helpful for his offense: Green or Bari. The answer to that question is why Green is a much more important offensive player.

When Grew scoring because of Jabari's gravity and playmaking more so than the other way around then we can make this claim.

Or you know actually start the NBA season.

13. fchowd0311

year 2 hasn't even begun dude.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

I never said Green wasn't an important offensive player but looking at their shot Jabari has been consistently knocking down open looks while Jalen has been struggling with his 3s.

15. fchowd0311

A 2 game stretch of Jabari hitting threes and Green not in two preseason games....

My God man are you trolling or sincere?

And outside the jump shot Green is showing a lot more on offense. If you want to make a mountain out of a lole hill from TWO PRESEASON GAMES then the more poignant take would be how Green's abilities on offense are missed more than Jabari's skillets. Without Green the team misses out entirely on dribble penetration/pnr Playmaking. Reason why Sengun gets a lot easier buckets with Green out there and not Jabari.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

When Udoka was hired and the veterans were signed, I thought Jabari was most likely to break out this year while JG and Sengun would struggle the most adjusting to a completely different culture. IMO, it's going to take at least 20-30 games before they fully adapt.

The people here who love chopping on Sengun and JG every chance they get will have a lot fun for a couple of months.

17. fchowd0311

Like what makes you say that? Like what have you seen? So if Jabari next game in preseason misses his threes instead of makes them, we can go back to old talking points?

That's what you bring when you use fickle 2 game preseason sample sizes. People can then use singular games to **** on Jabari.

Don't play that game. You got two preseason games where hit his threes. He's still not creating offense for others nor is he attracting gravity. He hit just mostly spot up shots in two preseason games.

#57 fchowd0311, Oct 19, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2023
  18. fchowd0311

Just a reminder that Jalen Green is 6th in NBA history in 30 pt games before turning 21 and 3rd in league history in 40 pt games before turning 21 and those are actual NBA games.

Just so you understand how absurdly unhinged you guys are of Jabari scoring 20 in a preseason game and being more impressed with that than you know being top 10 all time in scoring metrics for a player 21 or under.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Jalen's efficiency isn't that good only 54% TS last year and he was also bad in preseason. Having lots of pts is good and all but efficiency also matters a lot. And yes I know Jabari was also horrible shooting last year but This year in preseason he looks much better whereas Jalen's shooting is still at 33% from when he played. If the argument is these are just preseason games then why Jalen still not efficient? Jabari being a 2 way player also puts him ahead of Green in my book.

Finally as I said before Im a Jalen guy but it's dumb to pretend he isn't a volume scorer right now. He does a lot of things but he needs to be more efficient with his shots if he wants that max contract. He

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Why are you so unhinged about a modest comment on Jabari? Like I said, when Udoka was hired and the vets were signed, I thought the environment for Jabari would be more favorable. Pre-season has zero to do with an opinion I had more than 3 months ago.

I never said Jabari would create offense for others. I'm not playing any game nor trying to have an argument. What in the world is your problem?

IvanLCPM, Arnel and anthony59237 like this.