1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari Smith Jr. is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Jul 7, 2023.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I think you may have read it wrong. I worded it a bit weird. I said that Cam could be that. For me Jabari and potentially Reed are just winning bball players of the order variety. Whereas Tari is a winning player of the chaos variety. You just need a star or two to get there after that. Players that Hakeem needed. Yao and Tmac if they were healthy needed.

Players like Jrue Holiday, Draymond Green etc

2. MystikArkitect

Tari is a racoon that feasts on second units. He can defend smaller 4's and that's his limit. He scores on possessions he touches the ball because usually it's a put back. They are vastly different players and if you offered both to 30 teams I don't think a single one picks Tari.

3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Jabari is a winning player and exactly what we need. 3D stretch PF who can switch and rebound and doesn’t need to dominate the ball. He improved across the board but most importantly increased his 3s from 30% to 36% on more attempts.

Fully expect him to get over 38% this year. With all of our supposed strong passers (FVV, Sengun, Amen) Jabari needs to be setup for more shots.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Nah, Tari gets offensive rebounds and goes up strong. He also plays real defense 1-4 and can take it coast to coast. You're severely underrating Tari.

darksoul35 likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The issue with Tari is he's kinda ineffective in half court set offenses outside of spot up shooting.

Bari isn't much better currently in that either but then again he's much younger than Tari and shows some promise in operating in a half court offense beyond just open spot ups with his turnaround game and middie game.

6. MystikArkitect

Tari might be the worst finisher at the rim on the team.

PatBev likes this.
  7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Disagree. Tari has a feel for the game that far exceeds Smith and that's clear with the eyes

cheke64 likes this.
  8. leebigez

2 yrs younger

9. leebigez

8th seed maybe

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. Rokman

Rokman Member

Jabari needs to hit the gym extra hard this summer. He's got a decent frame he can fill out it's just he's so young he'll probably be 24 or so before he really starts to hold on to the weight. At that point he'll be experienced enough to know how to use his stature to his distinct advantage and won't get knocked around.

Mathloom and Rudyc281 like this.
  11. MystikArkitect

Idk about far exceeds but it does exceed. Ultimately Tari has limitations that Jabari doesn't have. He's also 2 years older. Tari's biggest strength is his game feel and the data is there for the team being better when he's on the floor.

I'm still taking Jabari moving forward but he needs to make a leap next year.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Jabari is extremely underrated. You can argue his archetype is one of the most valuable in the NBA. The reason Minny is dominating is because of their double stretch PFs/Cs Kat and Naz Reid.

Phillyrocket likes this.
  13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Has Udoka ever commented that he did not install his full O package with the Rockets since the team was so young?

If this is the case, I would hope that Udoka's full O package would spread the shots around and would mean that Jabari would get more shots per game.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

Jabari off-season goals should have him focus on how to:
    • Get stronger overall! Train with Steven Adams. This will help his offense through contact and post defense.
    • Get more fluid with his movements especially his hip and ankle mobility. Sumo, plie, and deep squats. Calf strains are debilitating ex. Durant, D. Mitchell, Porzingis
    • Get better as an off-ball scorer with movement around screens and slashing.
    • Study Durant, MPJ, McGrady, Paul George and other tall scorers get their shot off. Whatever nuances he can pick up and repeat should be added to his game.
    • Extend range of 3 pointer
    If he can apply half of these goals then he will get that 3rd year super rise as a player.

Mathloom likes this.
  15. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I gave yo mama the full O package if you know what I mean. :D

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  16. leebigez

What are his limitations?

17. leebigez

If I told you before the draft Smith was going to be Naz Reid, and undrafted player, would you

daywalker02 likes this.
  18. leebigez

I don't see him being any more fluid than he is now. He's also a average foot athlete. I like him, he has a role in some capacity, he's just not going to be special in any sense

cheke64 likes this.
  19. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Tari has the tools to become a really productive 3 or 4. He needs to work on his control off the dribble when he transitions to the basket as well as finishing in the paint using his body to bump off defenders.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

After missing out on Chet and Paolo, of course you take him.

I for one am not worried about a big man's age, Naz Reid is 24 not that old and he is further ahead on Defense.

roslolian likes this.