1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari Smith Jr. is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Jul 7, 2023.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It's still a work in progress, but if he keeps making the same strides over the next year and a half that he's made the first year and a half we're gonna have one hell of a player.

Still needs to get stronger so he can absorb contact on both sides of the ball, but you can't just magically give grown man strength to a 20 year old.

harold bingo and gfab-babyboi like this.
  2. cml750

cml750 Member

I hope he will not be out too long with the ankle. We need him.

3. CXbby

CXbby Member

He’s literally just coming off of 11, 13 and 9 points the last three games. If I wanted to mention you every time Jabari looked like a role player, we would be here all season long. Also what did he do tonight that made him not look like a role player? Hit open shots like a role player is supposed to?

4. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

He’s 20. The fact that you can’t understand that fact makes me question your knowledge. And he was incredible on both ends all game.

gfab-babyboi, BMoney and anthony59237 like this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

Not every 20 year old is going to be a star, like holy sht, that’s my opinion, leave me alone. You can think he’s the next Larry Bird for all I care, I don’t give two flying fks if you question my knowledge or not I’ve been right about everything I’ve said about every prospect on the Rockets the past three years.

7. Strawberry Gum

When he shoots the three our offense becomes so much better. He'll be one of the best role players at the league at age 20 if he attempts two more threes per game while keeping his percentage up. He'll be a dominant force on the court when he bulks up and learns to use his size to his advantage.

Arnel likes this.
  8. maypk

maypk Member

Jabari is going to be a problem next season.

Jabari-Sengun frontcourt duo is going to feed families for a decade.

9. Lathander

Lathander Member

I hope he is OK. He was elite-level tonight.

clos4life likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t agree - he has done a number of things to get players easier shots and maximize match ups.

He isn’t RA or MDA, but he makes a lot of smart adjustments.

BMoney likes this.
  11. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

Sengun 2nd yr had many dumb moments too and his outlook was pretty grim. By looking at how much at how much Alpi jumped in 3rd yr gives me hope that both Bari and Tari could be very good starter level player by next year. I think Jeff Green has been huge plus for his growth

12. Nook

Nook Member

Also - all this nonsense about whether Jabari Smith is a role player or not, it gets old.

I agree with Larry Brown when he said he didn’t care about a players raw numbers, all he cared about was whether a player helped his team win a lot of ball games - and Jabari does that.

After watching Jabari last season, I don’t know how anyone cannot be thrilled with his play this season. He is the most improved player on the Rockets, and that’s saying allot because Sengun is on this team.

#1732 Nook, Jan 20, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2024
  13. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

He is good at exploiting mismatches. That is certainly a focal point in his offensive mind. I see a lack of off ball movement and ball movement in general. Maybe that will change.

The other thing, he is very responsive to players' mistakes and intervenes right away, which is great for player development. But I don't think he is very sensitive or quick to react to his own mistakes.

Old School74 likes this.
  14. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Jabari is stiff and he will probably be a good-to-great role player on offense. But combined with his defense and his fit with Sengun his value might be more than a good number of so-called stars.

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Great job creating off the dribble. We needed that. Waiting just for spot up threes isn't enough for a franchise player.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, Will Hardy was on the bench and he is doing better on Offense at least.....give him a Fred Van Vleet, things looking different.

His coordinators are doing more than he does......I mean he selects them.

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

It's ok the Bariwagon is always willing to make space for newcomers

18. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Cutting by wing players have gone down in general this season under Udoka. Last season Bari, Tari, and Tate all cut a lot more.

19. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Jabari won the game tonight with his single one legged free throw

20. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Yes, I wrote in my other post. That is my only complaint about udoka. By stiffness I mean the lack of fluent mobility and putting the ball on the floor, which results in not being able to create much. He is still young though, there is still possibility of major improvement.