1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari Smith Jr. is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Jul 7, 2023.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

MPJ is a good defender these days, but yes, I believe in Jabari's defensive potential.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

Really happy with the rapid development of JG and Jabari within a system. Now imagine an entire season, and off-season under Udoka. My goodness. I am so pleased with the unselfishness of the group, and the overall effort on defense.

WE GOT A SQUAD! :)

4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Smith has looked much improved. I would like him to have a little bit more freedom on offense. I would like to see 1-2 times a game where he steps into a three pointer off the dribble from the top of the key. And I would like a couple times where he is allowed to drive from the elbow. He can always stop his dribble turns and shoot the fadeaway.

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Mr. Steady

i3artow i3aller and clos4life like this.
  6. subtomic

subtomic Member
    Supporting Member

I am still low on Jabari being much more than a utility big due to the well-discussed gaps in his game. That being said, when his shot is falling, the Rockets need to feed him more touches other than the elbow 3 that always seems to be available. Last night, I found myself wondering why we didn’t play him more while Alpi was off the floor - a simple play to get him switched on to a smaller defender would have likely generated quality looks via his midrange turnaround Js.

7. studogg

studogg Member

I am still very high on Jabari becoming a more dominant force over the years. He’s currently limited due to size/bulk, a weak dribble and bouts of self doubt. I see each of those weakness fading over time and he’s already showing the ability to average 18 & 9 now.

Arnel, solid, Dobbizzle and 2 others like this.
  8. Icehouse

Icehouse Member

Isn't it troubling that our PF only avg's 1 FT a night?

9. i3artow i3aller

10. clos4life

clos4life Member

He is going to be a problem.

studogg likes this.
  11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Not really. Not his play style. But you’d like to see him get a few more easy points on the board.

Sengun and Brooks, however, should be averaging more for sure.

RudyTBag and Dobbizzle like this.
  12. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Not when you consider what was always clearly noted as his main weakness coming in (taking it to the rack.) It was troubling when he was throwing bricks all day every day because he was supposed to be the sharpshooter who shot better than KD from deep in college. I'd say we've already seen clear improvement on his driving abilities, give him a couple more years and a bit more muscle and he'll get a lot more calls just because it'll be tough not to foul him once he's a physical presence inside.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

Alperen was a foul merchant in Europe. Be nice to see him and JG relentlessly attack the rim a little bit more to get those FTAs.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

feels like the refs have been hating the Rockets in general. Rockets opponents have ben +10 on fts for like 4 games now. How Rockets get outshot at home too? it's getting ridiculous. I'm starting to think refs hate Dillion and Fred.

Mr.Scary, Arnel, cml750 and 3 others like this.
  15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

I think the NBA hates Dillion because he stands up to their “king”. I do think we actually do foul more than the average team, because of our extremely aggressive defense. I think Ime is alright with that. We also do not have guys that have the muscle to attack the rim yet. That will change. I do think any team playing the Lakers, Warriors, and Clippers on their home court are going to get screwed by the refs. It’s just a given. The West Coast teams attract the highest number of fans on TV and that translates into money for the NBA.

Y2JT, DreamShook and OremLK like this.
  16. solid

solid Member

Slowly but surely Smith is going to improve. He is almost 7 feet tall with skills. I just can't forget those silky smooth threes in college.

DreamShook and AroundTheWorld like this.
  17. Arnel

Arnel Member

Almost 7 feet? I can’t put him above 6’10”. JJJ is listed at 6’10” I believe and he easily looks taller than Smith

18. solid

solid Member

He is listed at 6'11" in the Rocket's Roster published by CBS sports. Same in the roster posted by Fox Sports.

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

i just want bari to stop bring the ball down so low when he trying to make a move. Turn around and shoot the ball.

solid likes this.
  20. Arnel

Arnel Member

That’s fine, but does he look as tall to you as JJJ? (Who’s listed at 6’10”).
    Maybe JJj is taller than 6’10”, not sure. I just don’t really trust some of the listing heights. To me if I had to take a guess based on seeing him compared to other bigs I’d say he’s 6’10”.