1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari Smith Jr. is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Jul 7, 2023.

1. Arnel

Arnel Member

ehh that’s not really true. He said he hopes that everybody on the team falls in line and that everyone understands that Sengun is at the top of the pecking order and that everyone else can become his complimentary pieces. And that he HOPES Jabari can end up being a Horry lol and Jalen another complimentary piece to the almighty.

I hope Sengun becomes the best player in the world. But some of us also have some hope that some of the other youngsters also become stars or all stars and not just all simple role players on the bottom of this “pecking order” complimenting Sengun :D

And it just doesn’t seem like ATW has those hopes, more like just worried about making sure everyone understands Senguns status in the “pecking order” and that no one surpasses him, which to me describes a Sengun only fan, not necessarily a rockets fan first.

34to11, Dobbizzle and fchowd0311 like this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Overall, I haven't seen anything to indicate that Jabari is not a good teammate.

I like him.

Forget about the Horry comparison in terms of stats - if he could produce stats like Rashard Lewis and help the Rockets win as many rings as Robert Horry won, that would be great :cool:.

Easy likes this.
  3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep, I should say bumped by a guy that wants him to fail which is pretty clear.

When you have nothing good to say about a player and then only pop up when he plays poorly then you want that player to fail just so you can dunk on them. Dredd has pretty much said as much that he just wants to hate on Jabari.

I don't believe the whole "I want him to play well!" because when he does, there's no flowers for it, no appreciation for it, like I Said this thread and Bari threads go dormant unless he has a bad game.

It was only a few games ago Jabari shot like 60% or some really high % and scored 21 points. In fact Jabari has increased about every bit of his efficiency and defensive stats (for whatever they matter) but you have people out here believing he's playing WORSE when no availiable metric agrees with that.

ITs just that whenever Jabari makes a mistake it gets highlighted and pushed into the narrative that he's bad. I see it every game thread. Let Jabari miss a shot, the man could be shooting 55% for the night and miss ONE open three and a string of posts "God this guy can't shoot..." all start pouring in.

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You are misinterpreting me.

I think it is important on a sports team that people understand their roles, their strengths and weaknesses, and how their own strengths have to contribute to team success.

E.g., if Dillon Brooks, who has already won me over, were to think he "has to be the man on offense" and were to mindlessly chuck the ball, then I wouldn't like him as much as I do now for what he has been doing.

Similarly, KPJ should have never been made the "head honcho" who could just do whatever he wanted, without any accountability. If he had understood his own strengths and weaknesses, he could have been a decent secondary facilitator and catch-and-shoot threat. But no, he saw himself at the top of the pecking order and felt that he had to get the ball every single time, or he would pout.

My impression is that Ime sees people's strengths and weaknesses, and constructs roles, touches and minutes accordingly. And he holds everyone accountable, including Alpi.

All I'm saying is that I saw Amen and Cam both saying they want to be rookie of the year. This does not seem likely at all. I saw Jabari come in with a bit of a chip on his shoulder where he thought he should have been picked number one, and while there was nothing really bad, in a team that had no clear roles and accountability, other than KPJ being allowed to do whatever the hell he wanted, it seemed like Jabari was sometimes trying to "get his". He wasn't the only one either. It was just a badly coached team.

This year, that has already looked much better from Jabari. Again, I think he has been fine, and I think he will be fine.

He just won't be a franchise player.

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes, I know what you mean. As you will have noticed, there are a few guys like that for Sengun who will literally only pop up when he makes a mistake or something. It's annoying, about any player.

There are these stupid labels like "Sengun Only Fan" - I find players who are enthusiastic about a player much less annoying than those who are "Player Only Haters".

JayGoogle likes this.
  6. Arnel

Arnel Member

Both “player only fans” and “player only haters” are annoying lol

harold bingo and Dobbizzle like this.
  7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think this place more than others are just...we have PTSD from 'Only Fans'.

We had Yao Only Fans, those were the first. People that would trash Tmac and blame him for the teams failures when really both of them were the issue because neither could actually stay on the court...but the YOFs were nothing compared to the Lin fans which I don't even want to remember.

I think after the Lin fans we are kind of rightfully cautious. We did have Harden fans but Harden fans were really and are really just Rocket fans who have Harden as their favorite Rocket player. I don't think HOFs really exist in that same way. They wished Harden the best and followed him after he was gone but the same way Cleveland Lebron fans probably still root for Lebron or how Minny KG fans still rooted for KG...although I think Harden fans kinda having a rough go of it righ tnow...

I don't really mind that some people are Sengun fans first, as long as they respect the team he's currently playing for. I understand why they are, I think it's cool, I support it. I know if Sengun is traded (which I don't hope happens) they'll go to his new team, some might stay like how some Yao fans have stayed after all these years but I get it. They watched him grow up to get drafted to an NBA team and he's from a nation that is a proud basketball nation and so they want him to do well here.

As I've said, I hope Sengun is the best Rockets player ever. Just like I hoped Harden would win more championships than Hakeem and if Sengun leads the Rockets to 2+ championships and he retires I'll hope the next Rocket franchise player surpasses him. I'm a Rocket fan first...

And I've not always been right on Sengun, I've underestimated him, but if people call me out on it I don't get mad about it. I'm happy that Sengun is growing into a star player and if the stats hold up for the rest of the year...not only a star player but a top 5 center in the NBA.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think the haters are worse though, they are more persistent at least lol.

I don't know, I don't think the Sengun fans have been bad. I think on average they have had much better takes than the Lin fans at least...

Honestly they always knew Silas and KPJ were holding their guy back and they were right about that.

cmoak1982, AroundTheWorld and Arnel like this.
  9. Arnel

Arnel Member

Ok, fair enough.

By the way I’m more than good if Sengun is the franchise player and rockets are successful. (Heck I think his FLOOR is an all star)

I’m also totally fine is Jalen ends up deservedly becoming a franchise player and rockets are successful.

I’m also super cool if Amen ends up deservedly becoming a franchise player and rockets are successful.

Honest question, are you also ok with any of those scenarios?

Dobbizzle and AroundTheWorld like this.
  10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes.

Dobbizzle and Arnel like this.
  11. Arnel

Arnel Member

Glad to hear that. Go Rockets

Dobbizzle and AroundTheWorld like this.
  12. Arnel

Arnel Member

That’s actually a really good write up and you’re onto something. I feel the same as you with some of the “only fans” we’ve had over the years. I’ve been a Rockets fan all my life. Players come and go and sure we get attached, but always a Rockets fan first. Can’t help it lol

#832 Arnel, Nov 12, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2023
    JayGoogle likes this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Keep on deflecting champ. Dig those little heels in

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Yeah THIS is the biggest issue with the Sengun OF's, they get satisfaction out of making his teammates & coaches the bad guys. You're happy with creating narratives that the coach is racist, KPJ hates Sengun & now Jabari. MOD's here need to crack down on this

34to11 likes this.
  15. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

First of all. I love Sengun, but I'm a Rockets fan and Sengun happens to be our best player. Majority of us Rockets fans are so happy that Silas and KPJ were replaced with Ime and FVV.

But Jabari was benched for Uncle Jeff, not Sengun. This has nothing to do with Sengun.

Now go complain to someone who cares. And go watch the Pistons if you love Silas so much

16. invocux

invocux Member

I read on Twitter that last season he was finding it odd why others were celebrating, chilling after blowouts which is how i felt frankly. Sengun was dressing up like a Rockstar after his ass got whooped 24 hours ago, Jalen was acting like some hippie like we should weed and chill. I like that mindset in a player. He wants to be the best he can be and wants team to be better however he is too limited to be other than a good role player. He's a catch an shooter. When he drives to the rim, tries some fancy **** bad things happen which is probably biggest sign that he's not the franchise cornerstone. You have to be somewhat good with the ball in 2023. You are not? Don't worry about it champ there is another way. You have to be Giannis.

17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

All I know is if Smith ends up just being a role player, he's a bust in my eyes. U don't draft a player that high to b a role player

18. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Tbh this is kinda how I look at our draft picks as well tbh. My expectations for Green, Bari and Amen are higher than my expectations for Sengun, Tari and Cam. Now, so far I think Jalen's meeting the expectations, Sengun's eclipsed them and Tari's exceeding them. Bari needs to do more to meet them for me, the flashes aren't frequent enough yet. Green in year 2 scored over 20 in well over half of his games and his biggest flashes were literally "top scorer in the league" level flashes. I need to see Bari putting up some big games this year to justify his draft position, this isn't quite the same as Jalen last year for me as despite his haters, when you look at the actual stats, Green showed star potential. We need that from Bari this season otherwise he wasn't deserving of his pick position. Same will go for Amen next season. This season I want a few flashes from Amen, next season I want a lot more. I don't think that's unfair either, the draft has a lottery for a reason, you're not supposed to get a mid player with a top pick.

fchowd0311 and Arnel like this.
  19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

I just want Jabari and Alperen to become brothers and play like a couple of damn all-stars so that the Rockets can boast the best damn frontline and wreck the league.

Call me crazy, but I think that they both have the potential to TOTALLY complement each other on both ends.

They are workers, first and foremost, and they are busting their asses right now. I could not be happier.

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

Ahhh... Welcome to the Alperen Sengun show Mr. Foot in Mouth Boy! :D

Long season for the Haters!!!