1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari Smith Jr: 2022's version of Scottie Barnes

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ickaruto, Nov 14, 2021.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Not in my eyes. Smith is more fluid offensively. AD is more physical and a better defender with his size with the superior inside game, but Smith can get there and is just such a good shooter. @Milos nailed it when he went with a 6’10 Klay.

Nook and D-rock like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Jabari Smith Jr. Has Become 'Pretty Big Favorite' Amongst Lottery Teams To Go No. 1

Jabari Smith Jr. of Auburn has started to become the consensus No. 1 pick in the 2022 NBA Draft, according to Chad Ford.

"Among the lottery teams I surveyed, he’s become a pretty big favorite among most of them," writes Ford.

"Gonzaga’s Chet Holmgren and Duke’s Paolo Banchero still have support [at No. 1]," writes Ford.

Smith is a 6'10 power forward shooting 44 percent on three-pointers.

The Detroit Pistons are amongst the teams "pining" for Smith, according to sources that spoke with Ford.

D-rock, i3artow i3aller and cheke64 like this.
  3. bmelo

bmelo Member

I know @Clutch said it on Twitter but i beat him to it… for me he looks kinda Duncanish but at the SF. He is so poisoned… he plays just like any coach would like stretch wing to. Textbook

Clutch likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

#104 J.R., Jan 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  5. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

So trying to pay more attention to draft prospects. Looking at Smith, I see a player who can shoot and reminded me of shades of college Ray Allen.

If someone has a better comp please share film, but I thought what would Ray Allen play like if he was 6'10?

He would be setting screens as a big, rebounding more, less playmaking/passing or coming off curls.

You don't need to see the whole video for time, but here is

Ray Allen at UConn age 19:

I'm not saying he's going to be Allen as no one can predict the draft, but I see shades there. Again if someone has a better comp let me know.

#105 OkayAyeReloaded, Jan 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    lakersuck2, D-rock and Shark44 like this.
  6. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

He reminds me of Bob McAdoo. McAdoo was 6'9", but had like a 7'3" reach and a silly smooth jump shot. After he left the NBA he played 7 years in the Italian League (until retiring at 41). Most of the videos aren't good quality and 3 pt shooting wasn't big in his era, but you'll get the picture. He had a weird little kick with his legs, but looking at his shot and upper body mechanics I see some J. Smith. McAdoo is a HOFer.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Nice.

That's a great comp.

D-rock likes this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

https://www.theringer.com/2022/1/11/22876836/2022-nba-draft-jabari-smith-jr-auburn

TheThe NBA draft dialogue is like a weather system: warm and cold fronts roll in and roll out, propelled by atmospheric pressures—overreactions to thrilling glimpses, dismissals of players who seem to have let us down, or intel that came from god-knows-where. Sometimes ultra-talents will hide in plain sight, overshadowed by peers who peaked earlier in skill set or in physicality.

Think about Marvin Bagley III, who was consistently ranked ahead of Jaren Jackson Jr. in 2018. (Good lord, did I whiff on that one.) Think about Josh Jackson, who was ranked NUMBER ONE in the 2016 high school class over Jayson Tatum, Lonzo Ball, De’Aaron Fox, Jonathan Isaac, Bam Adebayo, Miles Bridges, and Jarrett Allen. Think about R.J. Hampton or Nico Mannion being ranked ahead of LaMelo Ball.

We do this every year, this thing where we keep an eye on the player hovering outside the mainstream conversation and ask “... is this dude actually the guy?”

This phenomenon appears to be unfolding again with Jabari Smith Jr. Smith isn’t exactly a dark horse. He’s hung around in the top 10 of his class for the past few years, and yet he’s much less heralded than Chet Holmgren or Paolo Banchero. He’s been impressive, but he quietly built his skill set at Sandy Creek High School in Tyrone, Georgia. He’s the son of a player who might pop up in a random bit of NBA trivia, Jabari Smith Sr.—a soft-shooting traditional 5 who starred for LSU for two seasons at the turn of the millennium (next to Stromile Swift, I might add), and then had a few cups of coffee with the Kings, the 76ers, and finally the Nets.

Jabari’s game is a modern version of his dad’s, and his frame puts him in a position to pull that off. He’s heavily perimeter-oriented, and has a leaner body type that is in the process of filling out. He stands 6-foot-10 and has a 7-foot-2 wingspan, and by his own words, he’s put on about 20 pounds since arriving at Auburn. I’d say he’s more of an oversize wing than a skinny 4 at this point, projecting as someone who could add size and length to lineups without a true center.

But should he be the no. 1 pick, ahead of other skilled big men like Holmgren and Banchero? Or is Jabari’s surge to the top of many mock drafts a case of recency bias? Let’s take a (much) closer look at the freshman phenom’s game and see whether we can answer those questions.

More at link.

https://www.theringer.com/2022/1/11/22876836/2022-nba-draft-jabari-smith-jr-auburn

i3artow i3aller and D-rock like this.
  9. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Rough game. Missed some shots he usually makes, but you can see how the lack of a handle/counters makes him predictable. He likes to take 1-2 dribbles to his right and then put up a hook/jumper. Sometimes its just a straight up turnaround fadeaway going right. Defenders are just staying down and contesting because he isn't a threat to drive. He's still getting okay looks in these situations and he can make them, because he's so tall with a high release, but there's room for him to create easier baskets and put more pressure on the defense.

dmoneybangbang and Verbal Christ like this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This has been my biggest question with him, can he create offense, right now he looks like JJ down in Memphis a very good player but just a piece.

11. i3artow i3aller

He's playing on ESPN tonight. See ya'll there.

12. dmoneybangbang

I think he can if he puts in the work, but it's probably the weakest part of his game. He seems more "wooden" or stiff when handling the ball compared to Chet and Banchero.

13. dmoneybangbang

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Mobley but with better handles and a jumpshot

15. dmoneybangbang

I can’t get there with that comparison even though I get what you are saying.

I think they are both giant wings, but I feel like that’s where their comparisons end.

D-rock, jiggyfly and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

he takes some incredibly difficult shots. He's just really tall and good at shooting.

Will he be able to add to his game at the pro level?? tbd...

i3artow i3aller, D-rock and jiggyfly like this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I noticed that as well, unless he is spotting up at the 3 they all seem to be contested and difficult shots.

He seldom has plays run for him, so I guess it should not be a knock on him.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Jabari is an ultra elite 3 level and FT shooter. Mobley not nearly as advanced in this area.

Both are explosive above the rim players but Mobley is more comfortable with physicality.

Long high energy switchable 1-5 defender, like Mobley.

Jabari plays with more suddenness while Mobley always seems in control. Both have high IQ but Mobley's IQ is off the charts good.

And Mobley's ability to defend without fouling is preternatural, so effortless and fluid in his moves.

Mobley also is the more polished ball handler and passer. Jabari is more flashy with his handles but more prone to turnovers.

I would not use Mobley as Jabari's comp. Jabari is more natural wing 2-4 while Mobley is natural big 3-5 but should eventually grow into a center.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

20. xaos

xaos Member