1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari Smith Jr: 2022's version of Scottie Barnes

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ickaruto, Nov 14, 2021.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/...ook-luka-doncic-devin-booker-nba-observations

7. There’s a New Potential No. 1 Prospect in 2022

Q: Does Jabari Smith have a chance to go first in the draft? —Aaron from Georgia (email)

Yes. Duke big man Paolo Banchero and Gonzaga center Chet Holmgren received the majority of hype as potential no. 1 picks in the 2022 draft entering the college season. But Auburn freshman forward Jabari Smith Jr. has entered the conversation, and even surpassed them in the eyes of many scouts and executives around the league.

Through 12 games, Smith is averaging 16.2 points, 7.2 rebounds, 2.3 assists, and 1.8 steals. At 6-foot-10, he has a fluid handle to create his own shot.

Smith is making 45.2 percent of his 3s, with many of them coming off the dribble like in the clips above. He can also pull up from midrange, hit turnaround shots from the post, or drive all the way to the basket.

Blending skill with size is becoming increasingly common as bigs continue to migrate from the interior to the perimeter. But few possess Smith’s shooting upside, which derives from an unblockable jumper plus the ability to go coast-to-coast with the ball in his hands.

Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl calls Smith the best player he’s ever coached, and the playmaking responsibilities he gives his freshman support his claim.

The Tigers run offense through Smith around the elbows and wings, allowing him to use dribble handoffs, pass to cutters inside, or take matters into his own hands. Against Syracuse, he stood in the middle of the zone and broke it with four assists and many other quality passes. On out-of-bounds plays, he’s often the inbounder.

Smith isn’t an all-world shot creator with the fluidity to contort his body in the paint, or an elite distributor with the vision to pick apart defenses with bullseye passes. He’s actually a bit stiff in the upper body, sorta like Michael Porter Jr., which limits his ability to slither to the rim. But I’m picking nits. Smith doesn’t turn 19 until May, making him more than one year younger than Holmgren and six months younger than Banchero.

Smith also has NBA bloodlines. His father, Jabari Smith, played 108 games in the NBA over four seasons in the early 2000s before finishing his career overseas. The younger Smith learned strong habits and discipline. People from NBA teams say he’s a mature 18-year-old who loves basketball and the work that goes into it.

Smith has highs and lows on defense, with most of his lows coming away from the ball because of his positioning and unaware rotations. But energy is never a question. He’s a competitor who flies around the floor, competes, and communicates. Few players his size can move as quickly laterally as he can, giving him on-ball stopper potential against a range of players.

Banchero is a bruising scorer resembling Chris Webber with modern perimeter versatility. Holmgren is a 7-foot rim protector with shooting range and playmaking skills. They’re both top prospects who could still go first. But not if Smith keeps getting better.

2. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Jabari Smith reminds me of Khris Middleton, although taller.

3. Rockets21

Rockets21 Member

Scottie Barnes is modern day Charles Barkley. I like Jabari but different player.

4. xaos

xaos Member

5. bmelo

bmelo Member

He should go first i know gold when i see it. His game is very methodic, great mechanics, great physical tools. He can be a top wing in this league if everything would go right for him

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  6. Landsdale

Landsdale Member

Playin' sorry for Jabari

whag00 likes this.
  7. ickaruto

ickaruto Member

The reference to Scottie Barnes was in regard to how he flew under the radar due to Cunningham, Green and Mobley getting all the attention last year, similar to how during the beginning of this season everyone was down to Banchero or Homlgren for the top pick in 2022.

I posted this thread after his Jabari Smith's second game of the season I believe, back when nobody on clutchfans was evening mentioning him as a possible pick for us.

8. dmoneybangbang

SI: 2022 NBA Draft: Breaking Down the Candidates Vying for No. 1
    Auburn’s Jabari Smith and Duke’s Paolo Banchero have separated from the pack as the leading candidates to be selected first in June's draft.

Also

https://www.tankathon.com/

D-rock and ickaruto like this.
  9. Milos

Milos Member

Great writeup from The Ringer:

Why Jabari Smith Jr. Might Be the Best Prospect in the 2022 NBA Draft

By J. Kyle Mann on January 11, 2022 6:30 am

Chet Holmgren and Paolo Banchero have been at the forefront of this year’s class, but Smith is quietly making a strong case to be the no. 1 pick. Here’s what the Auburn big man has flashed thus far, and the questions that still need to be answered.

https://www.theringer.com/2022/1/11/22876836/2022-nba-draft-jabari-smith-jr-auburn

D-rock likes this.
  10. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Looked more focused on defense this game. Offensively he's looking more like taller Khris Middleton or Dirk-lite.

D-rock likes this.
  11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Does anyone know how his driving and finishing game is? I'm just watching highlights and it seems like he is only comfortable taking jumpers. The few times he does drive he doesn't have too much burst or elevation, it's like slow motion.

D-rock likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

he has a bit in his game. Obviously it's something he'll work on, but potential is there. People have to understand these kids play in the college system. They have to fit in where the team lacks most because that's what they're capable of. You're typically not going to see how these guys translate over to the NBA game. They're elite prospects because their ceiling is that much higher. Auburn has a number of guards that handle the ball and look to score, so it doesn't need to go to Jabari in that sense to see much.

D-rock, clutchdabear and apollo33 like this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I would say his ability to penetrate and create his own shot is not near Banchero. Smith is a GREAT shooter. He thrives in the pull up game and one dribble mismatch. I dont see him blow by and get to the rim as often, but he has the ability to do so. He's just such a good shooter that if he can get an open look he's probably your best option at hitting that shot. He's like a 7 foot shooting guard. I really like his game.

D-rock likes this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He's more a one or two dribble guy and then pull up instead of taking it all the way to the rim type of guy. He's still very efficient on mid range twos as it is difficult to contest his shot without fouling him.

D-rock and dmoneybangbang like this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

Paying more attention to Jabari as the season as gone on. I like what I've seen so far. He has a pretty high ceiling given what he can already do and to pair with his size and length

D-rock and dmoneybangbang like this.
  16. Juxtaposed Jolt

Is Anthony Davis a good comparison?

17. MystikArkitect

Seems like every highlight of this kid is him shooting at the top of the key. I like his jumper but seems like Chet and Paolo have more dynamic games.

18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Looks more like Durant to me in the style of his stop and pop 3 pt shot and turnaround. Reading he doesn’t have the handle for driving like Durant. He would be a really good fit with Sengun on offense. How about defense? How does he rate with Banchero? The Rockets really need a rim protector and I guess Chet is the only one of the top 3 that would provide that, but man is it easy to worry about his lack of bulk.

19. Milos

Milos Member

6'10" Klay Thompson
    Elite shooting spotup or off the dribble
    Versatile defender - Lateral quickness and foot spoed to guard perimeter and size/length to guard inside
    Disruptive in passing lanes to get steals/deflections
    Upside as playmaker and penetrator, but neither a strength at this point

20. dmoneybangbang

I was thinking this too. He doesn't seem like a primary creator/scorer like Durant. He doesn't seem like a PF/C like Anthony Davis.

I like the Klay comparison.

Verbal Christ and Milos like this.