1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari Smith haters in hiding?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Oct 3, 2022.

1. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Too early to tell what he will be on offense ( yes patience is important I'm getting too positive too) I love what he brings on defense. Talent wise I think the closet Rockets have had to him was Eddie griffin but combine the attitude and leadership to talent and we have never had anyone like him.
    Really impressed with Eason also, I think he will be a better value based on where he was picked than Bari.
    Would love to trade gordon for a first and maybe combine that first with bkn first to move up into the teens and add 2 solid players in the next year draft.

2. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

It's funny how some folks disappear when reality doesn't fit the narrative.

i3artow i3aller and clutchdabear like this.
  3. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

For the record, Paolo went 2-9 on FG for 8 pts, 2 rebounds, 1 assist and 4 turnovers in 24 minutes.

4. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Delete. Pointless

#44 King1, Oct 3, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
  5. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

I can go bump threads prior to draft if you like. I got in many heated discussions.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Verbal and Jiggy were definitely not Chet fans.

Those are the only 2 I can really recall.

seeingredtx likes this.
  7. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

There were two polls asking who we should draft - one after we the lottery and Jabari was the clear #1 option. The other close to the draft and Paolo was the clear #1 option. But there always was a very vocal Chet group as well.

I think the majority of people were fine with the Smith pick once the other two were gone. The problem was, that a lot of them felt we missed out in Paolo who seemed to be our pick 24 hours before the draft. And Smith has the longest road to be a number 1 option and superstar - I guess a lot of people prefer potential over floor when drafting this high.

But let’s not act like we are any smarter after one preseason game - just as we shouldn’t overreact after the SL. And let’s not say I told you so - let’s just be happy, that we have a great young core and get excited watching them grow.

8. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

There absolutely was....calling him a bust and so forth.

9. Puppet Master

Puppet Master Member

First I'll say this, I would still pick Banchero over Bari

Second, Bari did exactly what we know he can do, shoot and play D, he was also very poor at what we critiqued him for, off the dribble trying to create

3rd, I still see him as a starting role player at best, he obviously won't go 5 for 8 from three every night

Overall, he's a great fit and Tari is just a bonus

Sengun, Green, Tari & Bari is the core

KPJ is not the answer at point

10. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Jabari Smith and Tari Eason really Changed the Rockets Defense and Communication on Switches

Jabari Smith and Alperen Sengun are a Great Fit, Jabari Smith Shoots 3s while Alperen Sengun does more Post Ups and Passes

4 Out Shooters and 1 In Post Up Offense is the Best Play in NBA History

The Rockets 1995 Championship is Evidence, Especially Robert Horry as a Stretch Power Forward Shooting 3s while Hakeem Olajuwon Post Up and Passes to Open Shooters.

ROCK3TM4N, D-rock and Believe It! like this.
  11. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i'm glad you can see this. He's a buy low sell high candidate at this point and stone has done a great job. if we overpay KPJ wouldn't we risk not being able to pay tari and sengun. Green and Smith are going to be maxed out and we are going to get a big free agent possibly this summer. KPJ is replaceable. he's improved a lot, but at the end of the day is replaceable. I'm thinking he'll be shipped out along with gordon and we'll swing for the fences in scoot henderson or wembi. That's what tilman should do. Tyty will do a serviceable job running the point and with Josh christopher getting better, kpj aint worth his price tag. If he wants to stay he needs to sign that lowball offer.

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This, it's extremely divisive and misleading to go on a Rockets board and act like people that had genuine concerns about Jabari (being more raw and one-dimensional on offense for a #3 pick) are "haters" and want to see him fail.
    Obviously everyone here roots for him and is happy if he pans out great, that doesn't mean you can't call out some room for improvement or weaknesses.

The black or white, no middle ground mentality that many here are displaying is completely childish and makes debates impossible often.

And doing a "where are the haters" thread after one preseason game, I won't even comment on that.

13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

This is a really silly post. Stone has shown absolutely no interest in trading KPJ. In fact, I believe he will be extended sometime before the end of October.

D-rock and Verbal Christ like this.
  14. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

why is this silly? we all know you are his biggest fan, but i want to win a championship, i'm not about making ppl happy and watching mediocre basketball for ten years. we need stars, generational talent to do so.

King1 and BonziWellsGOAT like this.
  15. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

And most of the Paolo fans became Paolo fans when the Rockets got the 3rd pick and supposedly had no shot at Jabari.

ROCK3TM4N and D-rock like this.
  16. vator

vator Contributing Member

17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I do think he is potentially an all-star player, but if he doesn’t develop or improve I would say move on. Saying we can’t afford all these guys is what is silly. We don’t even know what Sengun, Tari, Bari, and Green’s careers are going to look like. Why do we have to trade him now? If you can trade him and Gordon for Victor or Scoot I could see your point, but that is not realistic. You really think what we get back for Gordon and KPJ is going to be significant enough to start TyTy? That is silly. TyTy won’t even beat out Nix and will be in RGV most of the year. We all want generational talent, but why give up on a guy with the potential of KPJ for some shot in the dark FRP that probably won’t even be in the lottery?

D-rock likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I mean divisiveness has done great for people who want it to split groups instead of finding common ground.

It nurtures aggression.

slothy420 likes this.
  19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I was never a "Jabari Hater" .. ever. A simple search would have confirmed that without needing to assume.

I WAS a Chet "hater" and so far Im feeling good about that. His game didnt look transcendent at all to me and he's already hurt. Just another fairytale about unicorns and rainbows.

I am on board with Wemby and have been pushing that kid for a minute, but I thought this place had already ruled him as an injury risk too?

Paolo looking bad game 1 is a win in your book though so pound your chest, but means absolutely nothing. Just another talking point for fragile egos looking for something in life to vindicate them.

"be better"

dmoneybangbang and D-rock like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So where is Dream in all of this, pls no Wembayama.... too early