1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari off the dribble

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Scarface281, Jun 23, 2022.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Exactly, I don't see him EVER as an all time great, but maybe peak Dale Ellis......

DD

jiggyfly and robbie380 like this.
  2. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

He's still young and raw enough to have his handles developed more. he certainly doesnt strike me as someone afraid to get hit in the paint as evident by his defense down there. but he doesnt even need to drive all the way to the paint. just a quick dribble inside the three point line for a college 3 will open the floor up

3. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I think Jabari will be great for what we need him to be on this team as we rebuild. He may never be a high-level shot creator type guy, but you can already see he has a really good shooting stroke. He has the want to, the length and the mobility to be a very good defender. We already have a SG that is a scorer/creator, we have a C that is a good passer, and we have a PG/SG that is a scorer/creator (and TyTy will come in and he will be a good creator at PG). All of them will find him and get him open looks. I think he will have enough skills to be able to pump fake and drive the ball when needed. This is a young, developing team and he will fit right in with the players we have, but bring a little something different and something we need. Lets let him get in training camp and get some development going before we pass judgement on what he will or wont be. We can all see there is talent there for sure.

MultipleSauces and ROCK3TM4N like this.
  4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I linked a channel that has most of his games condensed and shows several good drives, honestly don't get why some of ya get hung up on some bullsh** lowlight video that you could make for everyone.

Is he a great dribbler? Honestly no.
    Is he as bad as that sh*** Mini clip that was intentional lowlights is making him out to be? God no.

Zen Tabak and xaos like this.
  5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Seems alright to me. :oops:

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The clip still shows he has a very shaky handle and you see far more of that than good drives I have yet to see any kind of upper-level dribble drives.

What's bullshit about wanting to see an advanced dribble game from the #3 pick>

I don't know why some of ya'll get bent out of shape when people discuss actual issues that these players actually have.

The fact that he is not a great dribbler and was picked number 3 should be concerning for everybody if they actually want the best for the team.

Will you be happy if he wants the max even though he still has a huge hole in his game?

Streakshooter likes this.
  7. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Agreed dribble/ handles need work. KPJ is so smooth with his handles I am sure he can get him going - John Lucas as well.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

A 6’10” peak Dale Ellis with excellent defense would be pretty damn good.

BTW very nice for thinking Ellis. He’s a nice comp.

DaDakota likes this.
  9. spm_fan

spm_fan Member

Klay Thompson scored 60 points on 11 dribbles ... Jabari will score 120 points on 22 dribbles

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He could do that on 11 dribbles because he had the threat of dribbling and Smith does not have the same quick-release as Klay.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

What made LMA somewhat a difficult guard in his prime was his low post game correct? I've watched Smith and he's none of that. The best comparison I've seen is Rashard Lewis in Orlando. Although you expect more than that from a player drafted 3rd, if he plays at a higher level than Lewis,but similar, thats pretty good. I think Washington is really the key to how good this offense can become. I think Washington is going to push KPJ to another team.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

See he BARELY gets above the rim one handed there....I mean that is only interesting because he never does it.

Compare that 6'6" Kenyon Martin Junior.....whose head is at the rim, or KPJ or GREEN who also is at the rim.

Jabari is 6'10" he should have that ball WELL above the rim, yet he doesn't.....I dunno - I hope he is a great player but I see a good complimentary player as his ceiling.

DD

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Actually, he has a post-game very similar to LMA, mid-range as well he just has much more range and is way better defensively.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  14. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Yeah I think he complements Jalen well, all of our new rookies do.

I think we're one piece away from being really competitive. Bringing in a young big man who can protect the rim or an elite young point guard we'll have something special.

ROCK3TM4N likes this.
  15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Nothing is wrong about wanting to see an advanced dribble game, I'm just saying that twitter clip was total bs and probably the worst that user could find.

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. Asian Sensation

When you say ‘Floor’ I think of someone like Otto Porter jr. Not a career 20/8 guy that’s made 7 X All star teams and 5 X All NBA teams. Talk about lofty expectations. I hope you right though.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't think it was total B.S. and nothing was especially glaring in that video to think those were aberrations.

Anyway, I am going to let it play out and stop focusing on the negative.

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Nah I'm with you in general, feel he's much less developed than Chet and Paolo on offense and more of a niche guy unless the dribbling really develops.

Also worried about how his weird shot selection translates to the NBA, but guess he'll have much more space than in NCAA basketball.

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

If the starting lineup is Porter Green Tate Smith Sengun Smith has 4 other guys to dribble, drive and kick to him. Should be ok.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah, the shot selection is going to be a thing which is why I don't know how he is going to take being the 3rd option most nights and be mainly spotting up.

He takes far too many contested shots and he is not going to have as much of a height advantage in the pros.