1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabar Gaffney speaks about the Eagles and Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Howyalikemenow, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Howyalikemenow

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/homeNewsDetail.jsp?id=46098

Eagles A Dream Situation For Gaffney

March 21, 2006
    By CHRIS McPHERSON

Wide receiver Jabar Gaffney did not need an official visit before he signed his one-year contract with the Philadelphia Eagles.
    He saw everything he needed during the 2003 Playoffs when he watched his cousin, cornerback Lito Sheppard, and the Eagles defeat the Packers thanks in large part to the miraculous "4th-and-26" play.

"It was totally different from Houston," said Gaffney during his introductory press conference Tuesday. "Just seeing the guys, how close knit they were and everything with the facility is top of the line. It's totally different. It's a real organization and I'm happy to be a part of it."

Gaffney especially loves the fact that the Eagles threw the ball 63 percent of the time last season.

"Seeing how much they throw the ball around, it's a receiver's dream to be in an offense like this," said Gaffney. "I'm going to have an opportunity to go out and catch passes."

Gaffney will contend with Reggie Brown and Todd Pinkston for a starting role in 2006. Gaffney does have the ability to play in the slot and make the tough catches over the middle of the field.

"I am coming in as another receiver who can do a lot of things," said Gaffney. "I can play inside and outside. I can block and catch passes. I am just going to come here with the attitude that I have always had. I am coming here expecting to win, win a championship. I am just going to bring that along with all the great talent they already have here. I have spoken to people and they also have that mindset, so we will gel and go to the next level."

Sheppard said that Gaffney has talked about what he could do in the right situation for years. Sheppard told Gaffney that all of those conversations will not mean a thing if he doesn't take advantage of the opportunity that has presented itself in Philadelphia.

"We used to talk about what he wasn't getting in Houston and what he wanted," said Sheppard. "I said to him, 'This is your chance.' He wants to go out and prove to everyone he was worthy of coming here. I don't see anyone out there in the free agency market that's out there now who would fit in better.

"I'm not just saying that because he's my cousin, but I know what he can do and I'm glad he's going to have the opportunity to show everyone."

Gaffney, who was selected by Houston with the first pick of the second round in 2002, spent the first four seasons of his professional career producing for what was consistently one of the league's worst offenses. Last season, Gaffney caught 55 passes for 492 yards and a pair of touchdowns.

"A lot of times you went out there and before you even get into your routes, you could hear the crowd," said Gaffney. "You may get halfway into your route and (David Carr) was already sacked. It was frustrating."

For his career, Gaffney has caught 171 passes for 2,009 yards and seven touchdowns while starting 50 of his 64 career games. The only receiver on the Eagles' roster with more career receptions is Todd Pinkston (184) and the rest of the team's receivers have a combined 194 grabs.

After four losing seasons, Gaffney's cousin was going to do everything he could to get him into an Eagles uniform.

"As soon as the season was over, I was putting the bug in their ear," said Sheppard, who was with Gaffney in Brazil when Gaffney signed his contract. "He knows he's better than what the stats show. When you're going through things like Houston was going through, they can't protect the quarterback for one and then when they do, he only has time to look at one receiver, it's hard for him to be productive. This is a better situation for him to shine and do his thing."

Gaffney's time in Houston was difficult especially since he and Sheppard enjoyed so much success as teammates at the University of Florida. In their four years together, Florida compiled a 37-14 record. Gaffney is among the all-time greats in Florida history after grabbing 138 receptions for 2,375 yards and 27 touchdowns. In the four years with Houston, the Texans did not make the playoffs once and have won only 18 total games.

"Everything wasn't together (in Houston)," said Gaffney. "It was a new franchise and that takes time. It is just part of the growing pains that organization was going through."

According to Eagles media relations, Gaffney and Sheppard are believed to be the first teammates to play high school (Raines, Jacksonville, Fla.), college and pro together. In fact, four members of the Eagles organization are alumni of Raines High School - Gaffney, Sheppard, free safety Brian Dawkins and Director of Player Programs Harold Carmichael.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

also...

Texans | Buchanon's home destroyed by fire
    Tue, 21 Mar 2006 15:10:01 -0800

Mike Morris, of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, reports Houston Texans CB Phillip Buchanon had his Georgia home destroyed by a fire. The fire, which was apparently sparked by lightning from overnight storms, was reported shortly before 3 a.m. Tuesday, March 21. No one was at home, and no injuries were reported. Buchanon was in Houston for off-season conditioning. Interestingly enough, Buchanon was not burnt in the ordeal.

3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

LOL....Nice!! :D

4. wesnesked

wesnesked Member

Yeah that Reliant Stadium is a dump!

5. magnetik

magnetik Member

don't let the door hit you on the way out...

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Member

Well, Gaffney is right. The Texans are a horribly run franchise.

7. DieHard Rocket

It's easy to say that after a 2-14 season.

What is Gaffney supposed to say? That he is going to miss the Texans? Nobody misses playing for a 2-14 team.

8. MadMax

MadMax Member

in all honesty, what else can you say? of course it's easy to say it. that's where the results lead you.

listen...i think the organization itself has done a terrific job. i think they've reached out to the fans here in really great way. J.D Powers listed them as the top sports franchise in the country for the way they treat their customers. the stadium is fantastic and the atmosphere for gameday is awesome.

but....on the field, they've gone backwards. they've actually regressed. and the sum of the decisions made by our general manager is, at best, questionable. gaffney doesn't care about how the fans are treated and the gameday experience. he wants a chance to make a difference and to win games. so it shouldn't surprise any of us that he would make these comments. he wants to be surrounded by quality NFL talent. the texans didn't do that. clearly.

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Member

It was horribly coached, but again, losing is a disease...I think Gary can turn it around, but it won't be next year...

10. gucci888

gucci888 Member

I don't think it was just horribly coached. CC failed to sign good FAs (not all his fault), overpaid other FAs just to come, botched a bunch of draft picks for which the Texans are STILL trying to recover from.

While coaching had a lot to do with it, I firmly believe CC had just as much to do with it. I still can't believe the man still has his job.

11. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

Even when he's not on the football field, he is getting burned.

12. Blatz

Blatz Member

I don't think he meant it that way but I can diffidently see being taken that way. I think he was just giving a complement to the Eagles though.

I do think they were taking a shot at the Offensive Line and/or the protection scheme with the other comments.

13. superden

superden Member

ouch. haha.

14. stevel

stevel Member

Make no mistake we were a horribly coached team, BUT we also made some very questionable player moves as well. You mentioned overpaying FAs, well that is the inherent problem with FA, guys typically go to one of two places, the team with the best chance of winning a SB or to the team that offers the most $$$. I think there are 2 reasons CC is here: 1. the coaching WAS horrible 2. McNair couldn't lure anyone better to come in to help out. McNair tried to get Jimmy Johnson to come in as GM, and he offered him a boat load of money and JJ wanted to remain retired. Wolf would be a definite upgrade but he is retired as well.

BTW, Gaffney is a F***ing Idiot, I for one am not sad to see him go!

#14 stevel, Mar 22, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  15. swilkins

swilkins Member

I'm not saying he's wrong about the line and Carr being gun-shy. He opened his mouth on it, so I doubt it helped his love here in H-town. I saw him drop plenty of decent catches. He has no room to talk.

I thought it was low to say that unlike Houston, Philly was a real organization. If he thinks that he won't hear booing in Philly, he's dues for a reality check. They will attack you in Philly.

Perhaps, we'll kick their ass this year.

We'll see, I guess.

16. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Member

Gaffney was part of the problem with the dropped passes. Besides who is Jabar Gaffney anyway? A third option at best!! Who cares what he says.

All I have to say is the coaching was horrible.
    The few times they let Carr loose the offense moved the ball with almost perfection...the Cards and Rams 1st halves.

The coaches put players out of position on a regular basis.
    I think Kubiak abd Carr can turn this thing around.

I am nervous about CC still being GM....BUT at least he is not the final say anymore and Kubiak will have a lot more input on signings than Capers did...at least that is what I have heard.

Casserly should worry about paying the vendors at Reliant and let Kubiak run football operations...PERIOD!!

17. dskillz

dskillz Member

Well, we can all boo Gaffney when he returns to Reliant this season. I would be shocked if Gaffney even makes a blimp on the screen in an Eagles uniform.

18. gucci888

gucci888 Member

Agreed. I guess we're in the latter category, but that still doesn't justify giving mediocre players big contracts. It's kinda like a vicious cycle, we aren't good enough so we have to overpay mediocre FAs, yet it is the medicore FAs and lack of cap space (and coaching) that makes us a 2-14 team.

It's kinda like the Hawks. They gave Joe Johnson a max deal just to come and play for them, does he help or hurt the team in the long run?

19. Drewdog

Drewdog Member

Its Jabar freaking Gaffney..... :rolleyes:

Its not like he was a high profile All-Pro WR for us or something.....

Who cares what this dumbass says.

20. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

no big deal especially when he is out of the league in a couple of years.