1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

J.R. HOUSE

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketfat, Aug 10, 2006.

1. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

wow....way past time for a thread on this guy.

absolutely DEMOLISHING AAA, after crushing AA. batting .529. a blistering 27 for 51.

don't know if you guys know his back story, but he was a big pirates prospect, then he took a year off to play college football at WV.

he actually caught clemens in his corpus game, unfortunately, round rock has been playing him at first. his arm was suspect when he was in the pirates organization. dont really know if it's gotten much better. can't be any worse than Dogsh*t Ausmus's though. i dont really understand why he's not being groomed at catcher in RR. we're kinda set at 1B in the bigs.

the guy can obviously mash. hope to see him up here soon.

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

He's apparently had abdominal surgery, two hernia related surgery, Tommy John surgery, and rotator cuff surgery all within the last five years. I don't know what all of that means to a major league catcher, but I'd guess the wear and tear factor from the most demanding position on the field isn't good.

Baseball-Reference.com lists all but the second hernia surgery, which I saw reported a couple of other places.

#2 arkoe, Aug 10, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The arm injuries, I believe, are what sent him back to football. When he didn't play, he thought he'd try baseball one more time and the Astros took a shot. It's worked out great, but I don't believe he'll be a major league catcher. He's absolutely destroying the ball right now in AAA. Maybe he gets a September callup as a pinch hitter after RR is done with the playoffs.

Then again, within minutes of me saying that Hirsh wouldn't see an Astros uniform this season, the Astros announced that he would start on Saturday.

4. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

damn...didn't know that. i guess that puts a wrench into the "catcher of our future" possibilities.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hell Ausmus can't throw anyone out either, bring him up....that way Everett will be our only weak link in the lineup !!

DD

6. Buck Turgidson

If it weren't for the shoulder problems, he would have been the Pirates catcher for the past couple of years.

He'll also be quite possibly the slowest player in MLB. Dude can rake, though. You'll see him Sept 1. He'll be a damn useful bat off the bench next year too.

7. Phil

Phil Contributing Member

why's everyone here gettin' on ausmus. at least his arm isn't as bad as piazza's, and i'm assuming house's arm would be comparable to that. i would love to see him try out the catcher position, but not if he's going to be like piazza...have you guys seen him try to throw out runners stealing second? it's ridiculous and painful to watch even as a fan of the opposing team...anyway, it's exciting either way to see our minor league prospects getting so hot wherever they are. this shows a lot of promise for our future.

and remember, ausmus is not there to just throw out base stealers...he calls the best game at his position in the major leagues - that ivy league education did him a lot of good. ask any pitcher that's had him behind the plate, and they'll vouch for him 100%...shoot, clemens says a big part of coming back was having brad ausmus back. so, before you dog on his arm (and bat), look at what he provides the team from a bigger perspective. same reason that AE is at SS, ausmus is our catcher (and a damn good one).

...and it doesn't hurt that he's the best looking player on our team (of course, that could change if we bring back ezequiel astacio) ;)

8. docgundy

docgundy Member

House can't play catcher anymore. He's had way too many surgeries. What position did he play for WV? Was he a QB?

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Yes...He was a backup on last year's squad.

10. imoffg33

imoffg33 Member

How has this guy not been brought up for munson yet? i mean this is rediculous.
    i know that someone is going to have to be sent down when hunter gets his call up, but who would you send down?

11. Buck Turgidson

Can you read?

12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would be fine with him staying at 1B. I mean, for this season, there isn't a lot of room to play at 1B with Berkman being stuck there and Lamb taking it on his days off, but we don't have many, if any, decent 1B prospects in our minors system right now, so I don't see anyone coming up behind House and pushing for the position.

13. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

The H-train rolls on...2-3 last night, avg up to .537. kid is sick.

14. imoffg33

imoffg33 Member

can you use your brain. how about we have our struggles at cather. i understand that he plays 1B since being called up to AAA. here's the thing though, just because hes played a handful of games in roundrock at 1B, does that make him a first baseman?
    kind of like if we put, idk, ausmus at 2nd, is he a second baseman?
    No.

15. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

Maybe Astros should consider bring him as the PH.

He wont be worse than Palmiero/Lane.

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I think by "can you read?" he meant, "Can you read more than 1 line?" I realize you read the line about him currently playing 1B. But how about the multiple posts about him being injured, having too many surgeries due to playing catcher, and his current inability to go back to that position?

hooraaaaayy reading!

17. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I think we should dh him. That would be sweet. What the hell are carrol dawson and bud adams thinking. He should have been up last year!

18. Buck Turgidson

Almost every day.

Apparently the Astros do not view House as an option as a regular everyday catcher. His shoulder will not allow him to play the position, and the fear is that he'll reinjure it, thus ruining any value he has as a hitter.

As far as calling up a young, untested, mediocre catcher in the middle of an August pennant race, here's a reminder of the problems you create:

[Javy] Lopez, acquired by the Sox in waiver deal with the Orioles Aug. 4, had a horrible time catching Beckett, who was charged with three wild pitches, and Lopez committed one passed ball. Lopez seemed to have problems following the movement of Beckett's offspeed pitches; he needed to block several pitches in the dirt.

"He's doing the best he can on the fly," said Francona. "Lopez's defense was a different story. It was evident he wasn't comfortable catching Beckett as he learns a new staff.

In the third inning, Beckett struck out Angel Berroa, but the ball got past Lopez for a wild pitch. Berroa could have ended up at first, but the Royals shortstop didn't run the ball out.

In the fourth, when the Royals scored three runs, right fielder Shane Costa reached on a wild pitch on strike three. That was after three consecutive hits by the middle of the order, the big blow a two-run double by Teahen.

Then with Ryan Shealy up, Lopez committed a passed ball.

He was crossed up on a ball that broke inside. Lopez didn't follow the break on the pitch and it bounced off the end of his mitt, scoring Teahen. The inning was reflective of the inexperience Lopez has with the staff.He's trying to learn these guys. He's trying his best."

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseba...8/10/no_relief_as_sox_collapse_in_9th/?page=2

And all that's from a 15 year vet with almost 11,000 major league innings behind the plate. Can you imagine how much House would struggle with a staff he's never caught, and the effect that would have on the pitchers?

House has a ton of value as a RH PH, backup 1B & 3rd/emergency catcher. I'd imagine he'll be up here Sept. 1 (though they'll have to drop someone from the 40-man). There's no room for him now, as they're already stocked to the gills with 1B-types.

19. Buck Turgidson

Right, didn't really mean to be a dick, just thought it was funny that:

1. Question asked
    2. Question answered by 5 or so different people
    3. Same question asked

20. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Or spell.