1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

J.J. Redick the best shooter since Ray Allen and Reggie Miller

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by jopatmc, May 19, 2006.

1. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm sorry...everyone keeps mentions Kerr and Hornacek and Korver.

Michael Redd is the same type of player. He is a shooter. Comes off screens, hits open shots. He has some ability to drive, but not great. He has some athletic ability (more than those guys and Reddick, but probably not average). He can hit shots, and get to the free throw line. Both are major components of Reddicks game.

I'm not saying Reddick will be the white version of Michael Redd, but he could be a very good asset to this team. I would hope that if we draft we, we drop down at least to #10 because he won't go any higher than that.

2. Drizno

Drizno Rookie

I would love to have him on our team. Every team does indeed need a pure shooter. He plays tough and seems to have a good high Basketball IQ.

I just don't know if we should get him at the 8th pick.

I wouldn't mind his teamate though. Shelden Williams seems like a guy that can help Yao's career alot on the defensive end. Juwon's coming to the end, Stromile is suited for a bench role, and he would fit nice with JVG.

A new Charles Oakley.

Hehe

3. sun12

sun12 Member

Basically you are saying if he plays 30 minutes, JJ will average 45-60 points/game. JJ will be the greatest of all time, much better than Jordan, Chamberlain etc. What a dream world!

4. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Word.

say no to jj

5. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

JJ Reddick = Jeff Hornaceck

Oh yeah I know 'why ya got to compare him to another white player?'

Ok then,

JJ Reddick = Mitch Richmond

6. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

JJ won't be nearly as good as either one of them.

Jeff could handle and pass better, while Mitch was a much more complete scorer and was about 30 pounds stronger and a better athlete.

7. waran007

waran007 Member

Mitch Richmond was an athlete in the Run-TMC days. Unfortunately, Redick could never match that.

Redick's best-case scenario is too low and his worst-case scenario is also too low. You do not want to mess with high-risk, low-reward guys unless you know exactly what you're doing.

8. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Yall are right about Richmond being a different kind of player than Reddick.

Ricky Pierce then. That's who Reddick reminds me of. Pierce could handle the rock better though.

9. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

Pure shooting wise, I like Steve Novak more than any other.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,635211719,00.html

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

Yep, sounds like a jazzhole to me.

12. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Everyone seems to think that Redick is as good as he'll ever be right now.

If every other player people are comparing him had time to improve, get bigger, get stronger...why can't you afford that to J.J.? He can improve his passing ability, ability to create his own shot, etc..

And to the person who said he's used like Rip Hamilton is.. holy crap, I'd be just fine if we had a shorter version of Rip on this team. Or almost any of the comparison out there.

Other thing:

Everyone says he shouldn't be drafted so high because a lot of his comparisons have been found in the 2nd round. However, everyone is also acknowledging that he'll have a long and productive career undoubtedly. Well, it's my opinion that you can HOPE to get lucky in the 2nd round (because it is a lot of luck)... but if you have a chance to nab a guy that you know is gonna contribute for a long time, there's nothing wrong with taking him a little earlier than you think you should.

I mean, there are enough first round busts out there. Guys that are out of the league in 5 years or ride 12th man for their entire careers. If we can find a guy that can contribute for a long time on this team, I say take him.

(Although yes, I hope we can trade down a little bit first if he's the target)

13. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

14. fa7999

fa7999 Member

He will be a better shooter than Ray Allen although he sucks in other skill sets.

15. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

I think the way to look at a player, JJ Redick or otherwise is to look at our the weaknesses on the team and what you need to beat the best teams you are competing with.

SG is a gaping hole on this team and I don't think JJ Redick can fill it with what we need out of the position. We do need someone who can catch and shoot jumpers and three's but Redick can't do anything else.

Looking back at the Dallas series, the reason we lost was because of our lack of perimeter size, quickness and defense and penetrating ability and athleticism. JJ Redick provides none of that. We need somebody quick, athletic and long to guard guys like Stackhouse and Kobe and Ginobili and Wade. The Rockets did nothing but shoot jumpers last year and got low percentage shots. We need the athleticism and quickness to penetrate and take the ball to the basket and draw fouls and finish and get high percentage shots and also the length to shoot over opponents. This is certainly not Redick.

16. jimmybrown

jimmybrown Member

If JJ turely would become one of the best shooters in NBA history, it gonna be no reason for other team not to choose him.

17. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

Houston is a team with a couple of really good offensive players who can open up Redick for WIDE open jumpers. Thats why he is a good fit there at 8, but not for many other teams at 8. As for your list of shooters, I would take JJ in a three point contest against any of them

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

No. I'm saying he will be like Vinny Johnson as far as his ability to score. He'll be able to come in and light up somebody's second unit.

He could turn into a Hornacek type starter. That's not a given however. What is a for sure thing to me is a guy that will be able to nail 2-4 3 points shots as a designated zone buster double team breaker in very few minutes of play. He is a player that will force defense to have to adjust for him or pay the price. When they adjust it will free up Yao and Tracy and we will be rolling again. There is no player in this draft, none, that will cause defenses more grief spotted up at the 3 point line with Yao and McGrady on the floor. Yao COMMANDS a double team. There is no player in the league that can stop him once he gets the ball and this season he finally figured out how to get the ball consistently. J.J. "Dead-Eye" Redick could hit over 50% from the 3 point stripe on the open 3 shots. Just wait til he comes in here and knocks down 38 for 38 or something like that in that HORSE drill they run down there.

J.J. is going to make some team very lethal in the half court sets, especially if he goes to some team that has a player like Brand, Yao, Shaq, whoever, that has to be doubled.

19. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

taking an unathletic, undersized, one demensional player at #8 is flat out crazy. you can get a spot up shooter to hit WIDE open jumpers late first and into the second round. to spend a lottery pick on guy who stands at the 3 point all game while contributing nothing else is just insane.

and as far as your comment on taking redick over anyone else in a 3 point contest means nothing. i want a guy who can hit a 3 pointer with a defender in his face with the game on the line.

that's why i listed those other players like tmac, kobe, AI, nash, dirk, billups, and redd. they can hit you that BIG shot to WIN A GAME. not a meaningless 3 point contest. and last i checked J.J. has never stepped up big in the NCAA tournament, hitting shots to win championships.

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I have never said to take Redick at #8.