1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

J.Feigen: Wood will be in training camp, future star Alan Williams likely not

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 20, 2015.

1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

wait till the deadline when we upgrade the PF spot. we're gonna have a better year than last (as long as we are healthy in the playoffs again).

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

They('ll) have a full 15 man roster and no money to spend.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

For those saying we'll be dealing with "Hack a Chuck," Chuck shoots free throws like an All Star compared to Dwight. Check his numbers.

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i don't get it. i mean, i do get it, but i don't.

Wood is obviously a long-term prospect with huge upside, and i'm all for using the 15th roster spot on a guy like that. But i do question his temperament and willingness to work hard. Seems like he's got a lot of growing up to do; he wasn't drafted because people thought he'd be most likely to succeed. I guess one thing i've learned is that your willingness to work to be great, makes all the difference in the world as far as whether someone pans out or not. I don't trust Wood is that kind of guy, but I'm willing to be surprised.

As far as Williams ...wtf? the guy is about as good of a natural rebounder as i've seen. He clearly has a very advanced post game. He just needs to work on his range and defense (which is what 90% of bigs need to work on when they come into the league). But i just don't get how you don't offer this guy at least a camp invite. He was far and away our best player in Summer League, and he's got the meat and potatoes skill set and attitude to stick in the NBA.

In Morey we trust i guess ...but Sean Livingston says hello. ;)

the $8 mil we paid Jeremy Lin a year or so after being cut from camp says hello too ;)

5. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Simple wood has more potential....a stretch 4 in today's game is like having a elite qb. You let wood go n u will never see him again. Guy has talent. Save this post.

6. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It would suck to see Williams realize his potential on another squad, but this has been part of Morey's strategy all along: to bring in talented guys the rest of the league overlooks. As he keeps bringing in guys and as he solidifies the roster, we are gonna see a lot of prospects end up elsewhere. It is just the public downside of trying guys out. Provides fodder for the haters, but there were gonna hate anyway.

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i don't deny the talent. I saw him live at summer league this year. So i agree with you that he's worth taking a long shot on. But I'm just wondering why Williams doesn't get a shot to keep impressing. It's not like Jones and Dmo are infallible, highly seasoned players. Our 4 position is now our least stable. I;d think we'd want a guy like Williams in camp to compete.

8. MONON

MONON Member

Well, you were silent much tooooo long then. Good to "hear" you again!

9. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

I read the tweet the opposite way, that Williams isn't going to accept just a training-camp invite from the Rockets, because it's incredibly unlikely he makes the final roster. Therefore, he'd rather try and latch on with another team that isn't as stacked at his position. And the Rockets can't offer him a significant guarantee, since they're going to be in the luxury tax and every dollar counts.

Wood seems destined to be a training-camp cut that gives the Vipers priority D-League rights; I'd imagine that his agent probably realizes this, but also understands that Wood needs the time in the D-League, and the Vipers style will make him look as good as possible. Different situations.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm really torn on this. Chuck is awesome as end of the rodter filler. But Williams can turn out to be someone really solid. Damn, wish we didnt sign marcus thornton.

11. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

He's washed out real bad. Like I said before you notice whenever the Rox played the Kings or Raptors in which he was on he was mostly on the bench? I don't even recall a time he saw much action since he left Houston. He can't do it anymore anyways.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Did Williams sign a deal with Rockets? If not, it could be that he's earned more than minimum....which Rockets won't offer him.

13. Rocketsmanhk

Rocketsmanhk Member

To be fair to Morey, I don't think you can fault Morey for this. If I were Alan Williams, I wouldn't choose the Rockets.

14. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

The team doesn't need them now, but we need evaluate this guys potential

15. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

We get Wood, and lose a Johnson.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I agree to an extent. Wood is more likely to be in Rockets camp not because he is better, but actually because he is worse than Bigger Al. Bigger Al most likely has better options out there-- like a rebuilding team for which he is more likely to earn a roster spot and maybe even minutes.

Wood, on the other hand, probably gets a largely non-guaranteed contract to be a part of the 20 player roster with an expectation that he'd get cut and go to RGV unless he totally surprises the coaches.

17. Sanity2disChaos

Any promising summer league video clips worth watching?

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Fap-worthy roster

19. Spooner

Spooner Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0wQq9YWZ568" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. PeppermintCandy

I don't get the hand-wringing over Williams. Then again, I wasn't sold on Tarik Black either.

Williams played great in the summer league, but more often than not in the NBA, he looks to be overmatched due his size.

The backcourt rotation looks solid. What a difference a couple of weeks make.

I love the combination of talents in the frontcourt, but the lack of inexperience could pose a real problem. DMo and Jones have really got to step up this season.