1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

J A Adande dogs on Schaub on Around the Horn!!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by robroy77, Feb 9, 2011.

1. robroy77

robroy77 Contributing Member

With Texans news being slow right now, I thought I would just bring this up. Today on Around the Horn they were talking about Larry Fitzgerald being involved with making the decision on the Cardinals next QB. The panel went back and forth and finally it came to J A Adande. He said it was a bad idea mentioning that the Kolb was Fitzgeralds first pick. He then said u never want to fall in love with backup QB's like a Scott Mitchell or Matt Schaub. Mitchell makes sense! He got the big contract and starting position and he was not very good. Well we all know that Schaub is a top 10 QB and has had 2 Pro Bowl type seasons in a row, well stat wise! Just kinda frustrates me cause most nationwide fans dont know Schaub from Adam, and that one line could give them a lasting impression of Schaub. I know this is kinda stupid to bring up, but what they hell was he thinking! I guess thats what u should expect from the national media. They treat Romo like he is the next coming of Montana, but only 1 in 10 with give Andre the title as best WR. Thoughts?

1 person likes this.
  2. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Woody Paige makes the most sense on that show.

3. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I don't think not giving Schaub credit is as frustrating as crowning Romo the golden child.

Fact of the matter, all stats aside, neither has done anything significant to make their teams championship contenders.

Each has an argument but both IMO aren't valid:
    -Romo has he won a playoff game, big whoopie fing doo, he also choked away more games than I care to count, and he has some of the most talented players in the league on his team and can't do more than win 1 playoff game.

-Schaub has well my defense can't stop anyone. Well how about the offense shows up for more than 1 half. If the Texans didn't fall behind every game and had to crawl their way back, they would also win games. Sure the D sucks, but showing up for 1/2 a game again and again is ridiculous.

Anywho Schaub is a solid QB, but it sure does help that he has AJ, he is a solid QB just nothing more than that.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Who cares what fans think of what J A Adande thinks? Does it really matter to you if someone in Des Moines Iowa thinks Schaub is a 'backup' QB? Why does it frustrate you thinking that fans across the country may not think much of Schaub?

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm in the "I don't care" column. Someone from Buffalo, Detroit, Seattle, San Francisco, Miami, or wherever can think what they want about Schaub. In the end, I know that he's ten times better than their quarterback.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

[​IMG]

fitz wants kolb though? hmm.

2 people like this.
  7. conquistador#11

unfortunately schaub can't play defense. He could still probably cover better than some of our safeties.

8. The Situation

The Situation Member

Really? Because the Packers fell in love with Rodgers

9. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Epic monkey of win.

10. RocketMania1991

Schaub hasn't been able to step-up in the big games when we've needed him to.

He has struggled against playoff caliber teams and under the big spotlight.

11. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Surprised J.A. even knew who Matt was.

Until he does more then win the Pro-Bowl MVP, the media won't give him any credit and they shouldn't.

12. DonnyMost

False. So freaking false.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Matt is not a top 10 QB.

He's a list of 10 QB's that are better (not in any order)

Rodgers
    Big Ben
    Manning
    Tom Brady
    Cutler
    Rivers
    Ryans
    Brees
    Freeman
    Vick

#13 REEKO_HTOWN, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  14. DonnyMost

these are in no particular order...

Rivers
    Manning
    Brees
    Brady
    Rodgers

are the definitive top 5.

Then the next group is where it gets fuzzy.

Vick
    Roethlisburger
    Flacco
    Cassel
    Ryan
    Schaub
    E Manning
    Cutler
    Romo
    Freeman

I could have that list with Schaub as the 9th or 10th best QB, easily.

15. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Here's a pretty good ranking list. Schaub is #12 but in the elite class.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=5972554

THE ELITE DIVISION
    1. Tom Brady, New England Patriots

Analysis: Brady's remarkable season included an in-season change from a big-play offense that featured Randy Moss to a move-the-chains approach with high-percentage passes. He should be voted the league's MVP, a reason I am moving him ahead of reigning MVP Peyton Manning in my rankings. Brady's TD pass-to-interception ratio of 9-to-1 is remarkable.
    Arrow is pointing: Up

2. Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts

Analysis: Manning hasn't lost anything from his game, just weapons. At times operating with neither a running game nor an inside passing game, Manning had a tough month in which he forced too many passes, resulting in interceptions in bunches. But he showed he still has it in carrying the Colts into the playoffs.
    Arrow is pointing: Flat

3. Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints

Analysis: The strange part of this season was his high interceptions total (22, second most in league). Brees is normally a cool customer who makes few mistakes, but teams dropped more defenders into coverage to make it tougher for him to throw deep.

4. Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers

Analysis: Roethlisberger grew up as a person after starting the season with a four-game suspension and remained every bit as good as a quarterback. The only knock is his tendency to have low-scoring games against top defenses.

5. Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers

Analysis: Unable and unwilling to slide, Rodgers will never earn elite baseball status. His inability to slide resulted in a worry about concussions, but his ability to throw and run gives opponents headaches.

6. Philip Rivers, San Diego Chargers

Analysis: Rivers had his best season even though he was missing many of his top offensive weapons. He's a leader who is willing to make tough throws at tough times no matter how tight the coverage.

7. Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons

Analysis: In his third season, Ryan evolved into a Super Bowl-caliber quarterback. His extra work in the offseason studying other elite quarterbacks paid off.

8. Michael Vick, Philadelphia Eagles

Analysis: Vick revamped his game by becoming every bit as dangerous throwing from the pocket as he was running out of it. He was the story of the year in the NFL.

9. Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys

Analysis: A broken left clavicle in late October separated him from an underachieving Cowboys team and turned this season into a mulligan. He still has 4,000-yard ability and a lot of weapons returning next year.

10. Joe Flacco, Baltimore Ravens

Analysis: At some point, those who like to give me flak about Flacco's elite status will have to concede he has it all. He doesn't throw many interceptions (10 this season); he has a big-time arm; and he wins playoff games (3-2 record).

11. Eli Manning, New York Giants

Analysis: Sure, the Giants had plenty of injuries at wide receiver, but Manning must accept the blame for leading the league in interceptions (25).

12. Matt Schaub, Houston Texans

Analysis: Schaub established himself as a 4,000-yard thrower the past two years. Too bad he didn't get a chance to play his own defense each week. He would have been a 5,000-yard passer against the porous Texans.

16. DonnyMost

Flacco would be tempting, but I wouldn't take Romo or EManning over Schaub.

Also, I maintain my stance that Vick's passing performance will drop back down to earth next year, sub top 10, but not under 20.

17. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

P. Manning
    P. Rivers
    D. Brees
    T. Brady
    A. Rodgers
    M. Vick
    B. Roethlisberger
    M. Ryan
    M. Schaub
    T. Romo

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

keep your dink and dunk noodle arm.

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

At the end of the day, it really makes no difference what J.A. Adande, Stat Boy, or any other ESPN blowhard says about Schaub. Until the Texans, AS A TEAM, start winning games, public perception is always going to be that the Texans (and Schaub by proxy) fold when all the chips are on the table. The numbers tell a different story, but the W-L column certainly doesn't. Even our OWN fans think Schaub isn't clutch.....why would anybody else??

RocketMania1991 is Exhibit A. There are no stats to back up this sentiment, but the perception is there, and reality is what you perceive.

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's comical.