1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

iverson vs. francis

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Stevie Francis, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Stevie Francis

be realistic here guys. I think Ai would be francis 2 out 3 times.

lets see.

2pt shooting-tie
    speed- AI
    quickness- AI
    strength- SF
    jmping-SF
    dribbling-tie
    defense- AI, could be a tie if SF tried harder.
    inside scoring-AI
    pure abiltiy-tie
    3's-tie
    stamina-AI
    height-SF
    weight-SF

I hate to say it but AI could beat francis.

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

1on1 maybe. Team wise, I would pick Francis every single time.

3. Stevie Francis

true AI is a cancer to a team developement imho. If it wasn't for him Jerry would have never been traded. All becasue iverson didn't want to play point and pass the ball.

4. Yaniv

Yaniv Member

You can say some negative things about AI but in the end he is a top 10 player .Right now he is better than Francis and he is also a good passer he had 5.5 asts as a Sg while Francis had 6.4 asts as a Pg .The sad fact is that AI is better than Sf (AI won the Mvp award so none of you guys can say that he is a cancer ) , But i hope i would be wrong and Sf will become the better player .

5. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

"1on1 maybe. Team wise, I would pick Francis every single time."

Yeah AI has never taken his team anywhere, well except for the Finals and the playoffs.

But Stevie has taken his team all the way to the lottery 3 times. Nice job by Stevie winning the lottery for us tho! (I AM NOT SAYING STEVIE IS NOT A GOOD PLAYER JUST HE HAS PROVEN NOTHING EXCEPT HE IS A GOOD PLAYER ON A BAD TEAM)

Say what you want about AI but he gets the job done. No he isn't the greatest teammate but he is effective.

Stevie has a long way to go to catch AI on the court.

3...2...1 Here comes the excuses:
    1. Eastern conference
    2. AI is a cancer
    3. Ball hog

6. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

how is iverson a better defender? its just that his team is more commited to defense. and please dont tell me his steals average. leaving your man to steal the ball is considered bad defense nowadays.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Iverson is a terrible jumpshooter. 2pt and 3pt. His strength is getting to the basket and his fearlessness.

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

How are those excuses?

Its a fact that Eastern Conference is much weaker then the Western Conference. I believe Seattle was the 8th seed last year and IMO they had a decent chance of taking out the number one seed from the EC - Nets.

Have you seen AI's "practice" speech. Any guy who thinks he is above the team and does not need to practice is a cancer. Not to mention the r****d thinks he is above the law as well.

AI's field goal percentage last year was about 38%. The dude routinely jacks up more shots then he scores points. He has routinely ran off Philly's second scoreres (Stack, Kukoc, etc.). On avg he shot the ball 28 times per game last year! Yeah he is not a ball hog. :rolleyes:

9. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Excuses are for losers.
    Winners get results.

AI is a top 10 player regardless of his behavior. Randy Moss is another great athlete who has the same attitude.

Bottom line is simple:
    1. AI makes his team better. Without AI Philly is horrible. With AI they made it to the finals 2 years ago and were still a scary team last year.

No excuses are necessary for his behavior, attitude, conference, etc. Dude gets results on the court which in the world of professional sports is all that counts. If off the filed antics really mattered Ray Lewis would not be playing in the NFL and Roberto Alomar would be banned from MLB for spitting on an umpire.

10. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

For the record, Iverson's Sixers did not make the playoffs until Iverson's 3rd season. The strike shortened 98-99 Sixers had a playoff record of 3-5. The 99-00 Sixers were 5-5. And last season, they wimpered their way out of the powerhouse Eastern Conference at 2-3.

To proclaim Iverson as "great" based upon one NBA Finals appearance is equivalent to proclaiming a band with one hit record as the greatest band of all time.

The way the Nets and Celtics are playing, don't expect Iverson back in the Finals anytime soon. Unless he takes a crash course at the Stackhouse School of Ball Sharing. :D

11. Stevie Francis

francis has the potential to be way better then AI. i hope he taps into his potenial.

12. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

To play devil's advocate, Steve averaged more points per shot than Iverson last year. Stats can be misleading, I know. Iverson is the #1 and #2 option at Philly. Steve shares the ball with Cuttino and Kenny. It's also much easier to play defense with Mutombo behind you rather than Cato.

Also, Steve didn't lead us to the lottery last year. He practically missed 1/3 of the season. We were a much better team with Steve than without Steve.

#12 gr8-1, Sep 7, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2002
  13. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

haha yes. But Francis isn't?

The Rockets stink because Francis shouldn't be playing PG, he should be a SG.

The Sixers THRIVED without Stackhouse. Yet, you bash Iverson because Stackhouse is a loser? Ok...

14. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

We were below .500 with Francis playing. In the West, that is considered lottery.

15. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Asinine post of the year.

Iverson is as good as ANY player with 15 ft jumpers. If you've ever seen him play, you will see that he makes a steady % of the 15 ft baseline jumpers that he runs off of screens away from the ball.

Also, Iverson's weakness would be finishing. Yes, he gets to the basket, but because of his small stature, he doesn't finish at a high rate.

16. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Iverson is the better defender by default. Francis is one of the worst in the league. I would only say that Moochie, Steve Nash, and Cassell are worse.

17. aznlincolnpark

iverson is a way better player than francis. i remember he brought the sixers to the final against laker two yrs ago. He was the only one can play for the sixer, the rest of his teammates suck...

18. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

I'm not sure you can make a fair comparison. Iverson's pretty much in his prime right now. Steve still has room to get a whole lot better. Check back in two years for a more valid comparison.

19. JamesC

JamesC Member

Iverson has one of the best mid-range jumpers in the league. How else do you think he averages 30 a game? The jumpshot is a forgotten part of the game.

20. Stevie Francis

i remebr when he scored 58 on francis. Who's D is better?