1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Iverson for Mobley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tha Play Maker, Jul 12, 2000.

1. Tha Play Maker

I was just reading on NBAtalk that Sixers coach Larry Brown supposedly offered Allen Iverson to the Clippers for Lamar Odam.

It got me thinking about Mobley and what if? This isn't about if we can actually do this deal, cap rules and all aside. This is just a "what if" situation. If the possibility arose and the Rockets could do this deal, would you?

My personal opinion is, without question, yes. Iverson is not a JR Rider by any means. He has some problems, but I'm very confident that Rudy would straiten any problems out with him. Also, having him along side Francis would just be unbelievable to watch.

What do you think?

------------------
    Great players aren't always great, they're only great when they have to be

2. Francis3

Francis3 Member

The sixers will not deal iverson unless they get a SUPERSTAR player in return. Cuttino is not a superstar player , so no way this happens.

------------------
    "I talked about what degenerates they [Mets fans] were, and they proved me right. Just by saying something, I could make them mad enough to go home and slap their moms."

John Rocker

3. Tha Play Maker

I dont think you read my post right.

Its intended to mean if you COULD do this trade, would you?

Not if its possible.

------------------

4. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Odom is not a SUPERSTAR. (yet) [​IMG]

------------------
    "When your dead, anything's funny."-John Lennon

5. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Of course I would if , then we can ship iverson out of here and get a power forward. [​IMG]

------------------
    "I talked about what degenerates they [Mets fans] were, and they proved me right. Just by saying something, I could make them mad enough to go home and slap their moms."

John Rocker

6. alaskansnowman

I'd do just as Francis3 said. Get Iverson and then trade him for a couple of good players or another superstar.

I would hate losing Mobley, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

As far as having Francis and Iverson playing together, it would be REAL fun(imagine all the fastbreaking, killer crossovers, etc.) to watch but it might not work out very well. Having Iverson and Francis on the court together would cause mis-match problems for us. Whoever plays shooting guard(I guess it'll be Iverson)will have a problem handling the bigger shooting guards. Who knows- maybe Francis will end up playing SG since he is bigger than Iverson.

But SG is not out weak position, so getting Iverson would be good, but we should trade him for some big people. Imagine what we could get for Iverson.

------------------
    treasurer of the moochie norris fan club

[This message has been edited by alaskansnowman (edited July 12, 2000).]

7. TraJ

TraJ Member

I think we ought to get Iverson when they allow at least two balls on the court at one time.

------------------

8. aus

aus Member

I hope that Francis can be as good a player as Iverson is. He took a team of scrubs to teh second round of the playoffs. Lets hope Stevie can do that in the coming season. That doesn't mean SA and Cat are scrubs though!

------------------

9. Francis3

Francis3 Member

We have better scrubs!

------------------

John Rocker

10. Tha Play Maker

This thread is just hypothetical.

I think this team would be a lot better if we had Iverson. You're gonna tell me that Mobley is better?

And for the chemistry argument, I think Rudy would center the team around Francis and Iverson, obviously. That would be one hell of a back court.

------------------

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I was thinking, if someone's whispering in Cat's ear about how he should start so that he can become a true star in the league, maybe we should send him home. Certainly he'd be happier there. Where's his new kid and the mother? Phillie or Houston? I don't know.
    Somebody pimp- or b****-slap me if this is way off the mark. Of course it's hypothetical.
    Phillie wants Iverson gone. Obviously.
    Houston's and Phillie's coaches have good relationship.
    Does ME-MYSELF-and-IVERSON count as BYC? If so:
    Cat (4.1 mil) + KT (1) + couple of #1 picks to Philadelphia.
    Me-Myself-and-Iverson to Chicago (desperate for a star).
    Fizer and Crawford to Houston.
    Then figure a way to sucker Indiana by offering Walt + Bryce + Collier for Croshere.
    Okay, okay, too much. What about the first part of the trade? We replace Cat, get a mean sumbitch at the 4-spot, keep our center. Chicago gets marquee value. Still can afford, say, Rashard Lewis and Brad Miller.
    Phillie gets 18 ppg from Cat, plus someone who plays a little better in the team concept, and plays to the home crowd. Plus decent backup for Tyrone Hill. Plue future picks in the top 20 of a deep draft.
    So: pure speculation, fueled by media BS and silence from all persons Rocket.
    Hell, I'd do it.
    And all this business about Chicago wanting to get their hands on J. O'Neal? As Krause stated, O'Neal was there for the taking a year ago. W/O McGrady, will Chicago make that play?

------------------

12. New Jack

New Jack Member

I think it would take at least Cato AND Mobley to get the Sixers to trade Iverson.

------------------
    You ain't gotta like me, you just mad cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be.

13. haven

haven Member

Trade Cato and cat for "I"verson, and then keep him. Could you IMAGINE how many ppg that backcourt would generate? You couldn't double team one of them, or the other'd be at the hoop in a flash.

Of course, I seriously doubt you could win a title that way, but it would be hella fun for one season, and would put phoenix's "back court 2000" to shame [​IMG].

------------------

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'll let somebody else add the punchline... this is just too easy.

------------------
    Just shut up and post

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That'd be one scary backcourt... slow motion replays would be prevalent in Rockets' broadcasts... lol.

------------------
    Just shut up and post

16. Gascon

Gascon Member

I'm sorry, I missed something.....since when does Philly want their leading scorer, lone superstar, and MVP candidate gone? I've been kind of out of the loop, so I honestly don't know.

Help me, please.

------------------

17. Tha Play Maker

Gascon: It's Larry Brows Sixers, not Allen Iversons. And since the two dont get along so well, Iverson loses the war.

He was pretty close to heading to the Clippers from what Ive heard. (For Odom)

------------------

18. bigdaddyD

bigdaddyD Member

since we are just being hypothetical I was thinking that the Rockets could trade KT for Tim Duncan and I think the Spurs would do it too because like the sixers and everyone else in the league, the Spurs love trading their superstars and getting nothing in return. While were at it, how many of you would trade Mobley for Vince Carter? Of course we all know how fond Shaq is of Houston. Hmmm....maybe LA, since West appears to be leaving anyway, would be interested in trading him for Collier. Then with all the fire power we have, we should have no problem in persuading Grant to sign with us. Ahh I know what you are going to say. We don't have enough salary cap room for all of that. Hey, Im just saying "what if?"

------------------

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Well, we love to put our preposterous trade scenarios here. I know they won't happen. When I say "Cat + KT + two #1 picks (likely to be in next year's Top 20 of a deep draft), and Iverson to Chicago, and Fizer/Crawford to Houston, or some scenario thereof, I don't expect it to go through. But Larry Brown wants Iverson gone in a bad way, and I don't blame him. He's a team cancer ball hog.
    You can make a team better by removing its marquee player. Will your fans forgive you? Maybe. Will Bob Costas kiss your ass like he kisses Kobe's? No. Will the organization lose TV money and drawing power? Possibly, maybe probably.
    I think if we lose Cat, we might as well make him happy and get something in return.
    Cat in exchange for Kendall Gill? New Jersey is close to Philadelphia. Gill is a good backup 2/3.
    But I still hope this is all smoke and he's coming back as one of our famous poster-boys let slip some weeks ago.

------------------

20. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Bigdaddy,
    You see, there is a feeling by some people on this BBS that if you post some undetermined number of times, it makes your posts significant and not subject to any rational analysis. That is the only way for credibility. I guess posting since September, 1999 falls into the category of "long-time". You only have one post. You have nothing significant to say. You have no knowledge of basketball and it wouldn't matter how long you might have been a Rockets fan. You might as well shoot yourself. No wait, I've got it. Put up 200 posts in the next two weeks and I think that will do it. People will get used to seeing your name and bingo! credibility. Welcome.

------------------