1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I've held back long enough...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Nov 13, 2001.

1. The Cat

The Cat Member

but Kelvin Cato just SUCKS. I really can't take watching him anymore. The final straw came as the Rockets were trying to make a run in the 3rd quarter a moment ago, and David Robinson got a backdoor dunk. All he's got to do is stay between his man and the basket. All he has to do is do something besides stand there frozen and stare at the ball. He won't. He's shown a little more effort this year, but nothing significant. He has no hands on offense, and is providing almost no presence on defense. For someone who's supposed to be a defensive presence, you'd think he could manage more than 0.7 blocks per game. Outside of the game vs. Atlanta where he actually hustled all over the floor, he's been good for nothing more than a couple of back door alleyoop passes a game. I don't care that Willis looks good off the bench. Hell, I don't care if we have EG or Pig Miller play center. I want someone other than Kelvin Cato at center, and for us to beat the elite teams with premier big men we are going to have to have big men with fire and passion. Cato just doesn't have it for more than once every 20 games or so...

2. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

Cat,

Isn't it obvious? Cato doesn't want to play in Houston, not that he'd be any better anyplace else.

At this point I'd trade him for Patrick Ewing (ugh!) if that were possible....

3. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Cmon Cat...tell us what you really think...:)

4. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Member

The end of the World is near!!!!

Cat says something bad about a Rocket player:eek:

By the way, who is the president of the <b>Cato Must Go</b> club?

5. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Member

Shhh....... It's just so Collier can get some playing time ;)

6. Bigman

Bigman Member

Kelvin needs Riddelin. I'm serious. I'm no doctor but this BOY can't keep his focus. Get him a script!!

7. SamCassell

SamCassell Member

If Shandon Anderson = Shandn Andersn, does that mean Kelvin Cato = Cat?

8. francis 4 prez

Technically it's Shann Anersn

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I agree. I'd rather cut the guy than see his sorry ass on the floor anymore. I would think it must be impossible to trade him, no sane GM would take this guy.

10. r-fan-since-81

Yeah, but Krause is not sane.

11. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Member

did someone say PASSION

please see my reply regarding PASSION in the above thread....

what does it take? It obviously takes more than 42 million!

:mad:
    rH

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

Cmon Cat, you can do better than that...

How many other players have had a bad game against the team that won the most games in the league last year? Do they all suck?

How many other players have had a bad game against one of the best defenses in the NBA? Do they all suck?

How many players have Duncan and Robinson outplayed? Do they all suck?

How many minutes did Cato get? How can you expect someone to get into a rhythm with so few minutes?

How many games did Cato play last year? Wasn't he injured most of the year? How can you expect someone to perform at a high level when they are still getting comfortable after coming back from injury?

If you think he sucks, I can point to one game 3 years ago when he blocked Shaq's shot twice. Do players who suck usually block Shaq's shot? I mean, if you can hold your own against Shaq, even if it's only for a couple of minutes, you obviously don't suck.

How can you expect Cato to be able to concentrate when he knows someday Collier is going to be coming off the IR to take all his minutes away? He's probably scared.

;)

13. glynch

glynch Member

Sadly I'm beginning to think that Cato just doesn't have the physical tools to amount to much. He can run and jump fine. He is strong. His problems are more subtle.

People like to talk about bad hands. but is there anyone in the league with worse hands? Throwing the ball to him for a dunk is only a 50% shot as half the time he can't catch the ball. Half the times he makes an effort and gets both hands on a rebound he drops the ball. Maybe I haven't watched them enough but even the McIlvaines, Bradleys and Manut Bol's and dozens of slow lunky centers seem like they can at least catch the ball if they get to it. It would be interesting to see if Cato could catch a football or a baseball.

As we see if Cato actually catches the ball he can occasionally shoot if he doesn't drop it while shooting and he can start the break etc.

It has to be very frustrating to work hard to get your hand on a rebound or get open for the dunk and then drop the ball time after time. Steve must lose two assists or more per game on these dropped passes.

Is it possible that hands alone can keep an otherwise physsical specimen from being a basketball player?

Is it still possible that it is laziness, anxiety or lack of concentration or some correctable mental, physical or eyesight problem can remedy this? Can you overcome this type of hand problem with practice? I've heard of hand/eye coordination. Is this the lack we are seeeing?

The other physical problem is that he is Langhiesque in that he always looks clumsy despite his straight ahead speed and jumping ability. Some mysterious lack of body control. He doesn't have the control not to fall for a head fake, always clumsily fouling his man while trying to avoid contact. Dan does the same. If you coach Cato to stay on the ground, you get .7 blocks per game.

Ritalin? There's a hope. You know, kids with ADD are often clumsy. It is one of the signs. Many times they try hard to hide their deficits.

Of course it could all be cause he's lazy, unmotivated, but I'm beginning to think it is unfortunately not that simple. Maybe Kelvin realizes this and would rather appear unmotivated than accept he just doesn't have the hand/eye coordination , ability to maintain attention and overall body coordination to be a star.

Oh well, if we could get a real center, we could at least use him like Shawn Bradely. Tell him to just go block shots and tell him not to worry about fouling out. If he lasts only 10 minutes than so be it. Some nights he might even be able to go 30 minutes without fouling out and if you don't need the offense leave him in. Frustrating as it is, he can still shoot around 50% on dunks.

Unfortunately he may be doing his best.

14. The Cat

The Cat Member

Umm... Cato has done this all season long, not just yesterday.

And as for the sarcastic references to Collier, that's a very, very poor comparison. Collier didn't play many minutes either, but that was the only stretch of his NBA career in which he's been 100% healthy. Cato has been around for four seasons or so... that excuse doesn't work for him.

15. 3fingeredgus

3fingeredgus Member

So by that logic, Todd Macculloch is an all star caliber player? One decent game doesn't make a player great.. By the same token, one lousy game doesn't make a player crappy.. Cato has been consistently bad for the last 3+ years. I think Cat's right about this. He got paid for his potential and he's had 1-2 breakout games in his career. I'd rather him have 80 average games a season than 2 blocks on Shaq in one game 3 years ago.. 10 bds, 7 pts.. that's all we need..

Start Willis..

16. Toast

Toast Member

I've been holding off any negative comments about Cato until I see him play Shaq. I have a suspicion he's gonna do about as good a job defensively as anyone can against Shaq.

17. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Member

Ya more fouls than rebounds....2 pts 1reb 6PF....