1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I've grown to hate STEPHEN SILAS.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swapshop, Oct 22, 2021.

1. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

tanking not a bit deal, but silas is leading kids playing ugly games, that's why i dunt like him.

fattz likes this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes we (Rockets) could do isolation all the time and 5-men out.

But is the goal to win or to learn (for these kids)?

I've been told all summer it's to lose and teach (teach Pick-n-Roll)

3. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I am not even sure if we are even going to win a game. I am not exaggerating.

4. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Yes, but putting guys in the wrong positions isn’t helping then either. Wood is a 5, Tate is a 4, KPJ and Green need more space. The Theis signing is a head scratcher. I really miss Olynyk.

5. Sengun

Sengun Member

Coaching is not to force the system in your head to dictate to the players. Get the maximum efficiency from the player group you have with the most accurate system. It sounds like Silas is trying to force the system in his head to dictate to the players. I think this is the reason why all the players in the roster look worse and less valuable than they are.

I think it's perfectly normal for Holinger to says Silas will be the first coach to be fired.

Swapshop likes this.
  6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

whatever happened to @swyguyyyy? He was the OG "I've grown to hate....." member.

7. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Yeah. As I stated in my original post the red flags are not that the team is playing bad. It is that they are not showing any resemblance of doing basketball things. I realize they are doing really well at basketball things you are comparing them to your local highschool basketball team but I am talking about an NBA level which is world class.

8. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Hey Sengun. Welcome to clutch fans, this is a great place for you to learn english!

I agree. Silas is implementing a system based on a Luka or Harden as the ball handler but doing a flawed job at that. This 5 out offense is really getting tiring. They dont realize that having a man in the middle opens up so much more than what having a little more driving lanes can do. Silas is operating on a theory that in perhaps ideal circumstances would work but on thier current course the team will develop much slower than a well coached team.

BallaDoc and Sengun like this.
  9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's hard to "hate" Silas. He's a genuine good dude. He's just not head coaching material. Maybe that will change as the season progresses.

10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Ok you made 6 points, let's break them down

1) positioning: no spacing because Eric Gordon missed the final 3 preseason games and it carried
    over into the season with other players missing 3's. Namely Porter going 2-7 and Green going 1-6
    from 3. 3-13 between the two from the 3-point line. 10 of the 22 missed 3's were by those two
    players. Have we not seen Harden start the season slow from 3? Ryan Anderson, Eric Gordon,
    Ariza? Seems like every year the Rockets are shooting poorly from 3 to start the season.
    Was it really D'Antoni's fault? Is it the fault of Silas now?

I've recommended putting Armoni Brooks in more to help alleviate congestion in the
    paint. That way the PnR can be practiced properly in live action.....defense be d*****.....this
    season is about teaching Porter/Green Pick-n-Roll as long as Silas is coach.

We can have our players put their heads down and charge by way of iso; but
    it's just becomes one-vs-four if no one is hitting 3-s (Gordon the only one
    guarded closely).

Heck we can go to zone defense......other team score 130 each night. It's about
    our offense and Green/Porter improving a little more on defense.

2)Wood: gets dominated guarding 5's, pushed around in the paint, gets
    fatigued wrestling with those bears like KAT every night.....leads to injury.
    We've seen that movie before. Sets a lousy screen as Roll Man.

3) Tate: play the 4? 6'4" power forward. Lacks the 3 ball.
    Does not help in spacing. That's suppose to leàd to wins?
    No thanks

4) KPj-Green need more space. Covered that.

5) Theis has been proven as a starter with Boston to provide adequate
    interior defense, while running that Roll Man, screen setter that Silas needs.
    Because no free agents wanted to come to Houston due to quote-unquote
    "Culture" we picked up a low money FA. Just in case Sengun and Garuba
    struggled.

6) Olynyk sucked at defense/rebounding.....didn't help us win more than 17 games as a result

I'm sure a white coach would "Coach Up" these players faster......sure!

"Sure you will kill the Lion, you're white, you can do anything" -- [The Ghosts and the Darkness-1996]

#30 ApacheWarrior, Oct 22, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    steddinotayto likes this.
  11. steddinotayto

Maybe he'll let Horny implement the offense he used in Phoenix

Watching that, you can't help but to think that both Wood and Sengun can operate between the elbow and three point line to find the backdoor/baseline cutter or have Tate set a screen and see Green come off the curl for an easier shot. Like this is pretty easy, basic basketball that can help the young roster find better quality shots.

fattz and fchowd0311 like this.
  12. steddinotayto

I get the love for Kelly but it's starting to creep into the "The Rockets passed on Kawhi!" zone around here. Missing a player that helped orchestrate a 17-win season is not the way to go.

fattz and ApacheWarrior like this.
  13. CRJ713

CRJ713 Member

The Rockets need a young mind to grow with these kids. Silas seems to not have a clue. John Lucas is doing more coaching and developing.

Silas just stands there with a piece of paper in his hand and smiles. It’s like he isn’t doing anything at all.

14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I liked Olynyk but the good that he did on offense was nullified by
    the bad he did on defense.

Again, winning is not the Rockets goal and the Rockets can lose while not paying so much.

steddinotayto likes this.
  15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Didn’t mind the Theis signing, but was really disappointed in his defense in the pre-season. He looked much better in the first game. I think he is a decent stop gap roll playing big and a better fit than Olynk. I really hope over the course of the season we get Seguin up to 30+ mins a game and Garuba and Theis in the 20 min range. Garuba looked outstanding against the scrubs. I’m hoping we get to see more and more of him against rotation players. If not he may as well be getting the minutes in the G-League. Seguin should already be getting starter minutes if his conditioning is there.

fattz and steddinotayto like this.
  16. steddinotayto

Theis will serve a purpose on this team eventually. It's hard, even for a vet, to know what you're supposed to be doing or where you're supposed to be on the floor when "Chaos Offense" is being implemented by players under 22.

17. Rochut

Rochut Member

Do the Rockets have an identifiable system?

I get that we are only one game in, but it is ugly out there.

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

After a couple days? Wow. Well technically they did get less young I guess... by a couple of days.

19. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Hard to disagree

20. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

From the outside looking in, I just don't see the leadership, technical, and coaching savvy. I think he's a stop gap coach. He just doesn't possess the intensity as a head coach to get players at this level to perform. It feels like Lucas is the defacto head coach...

fattz and ashleyem like this.