1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I've GOT to start donating $$$ to a major political party!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BrianKagy, Feb 13, 2001.

1. dc sports

dc sports Member

dc rock, I' don't know about BK's feelings, but as for me...

There are a lot of people in jail that never murdered anyone.

The guy stole money from a lot of people, including at least $48 million he's been convicted of, from you, me, and every other taxpayer. I'd like to see him punished for the crimes he's been convicted of, and stand trial for the others.

I don't like to see anyone purchase a pardon -- and that's exactly what this looks like. This one individual also stands out as worse than the others, because he never even stood trial or served one day for his crimes.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

[This message has been edited by dc sports (edited February 13, 2001).]

2. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

i'll i'm saying dc is, what's the big deal? he had the right to pardon him, so he did. does it really make any difference in your life if he is pardoned or not? when are we going to stop bashing clinton, he's gone, lets move on with our lives. there are greater problems in the world.

------------------
    http://www.democrats.com

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

my question: While it is questionable what Clinton Did. . .
    Did he break a law?
    I mean If I gave him 10 mil to Pardon my friend
    and he did. . . and this all happening in the middle of congress
    . . .Is a law broken?

I mean it is unethical but . . . . is it unlawful?

Same thing with Monica. . . Is lying to the
    country on national TV unlawful?

Rocket River

------------------

4. Major

Major Member

my question: While it is questionable what Clinton Did. . . Did he break a law?

I mean If I gave him 10 mil to Pardon my friend and he did. . . and this all happening in the middle of congress . . .Is a law broken?

No, it's not. Unethical, maybe so (depends on the circumstances -- from what I know, I'd say a resounding yes). I do think the hearings in Congress are a bit silly. However, I think Congress justifies it by saying they want to look into changes in the law (which probably won't happen)

Same thing with Monica. . . Is lying to the country on national TV unlawful?

No, lying on TV just pissed off lots of people and affected his approval ratings. It was lying in the courtroom that got him in trouble. Whether the questions should have even been asked, and whether it was worthy of impeachment is an entirely different story, which we probably should avoid. [​IMG]

------------------
    Is it any coincidence that the Cato is the only Rocket with a temperature scale named after him?

I didnt think so!!!!

5. Hydra

Hydra Member

Wouldn't that be considered bribing a public official and therefor illegal?

------------------
    Don't come in Bullard's house!

6. Major

Major Member

Wouldn't that be considered bribing a public official and therefor illegal?

Not unless there was a definite connection ("I'll donate IF you agree to pardon my husband"), which almost assuredly didn't happen. People donate to political parties expecting favors, appointments, etc all the time. Unfortunately, this is why special interests have so much power.

------------------
    Is it any coincidence that the Cato is the only Rocket with a temperature scale named after him?

I didnt think so!!!!

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Is that the standard now? Whether or not something makes a difference in our life? In that case, who the hell cares about that Columbine incident? It doesn't affect my life, I didn't know any of those people. What difference does it make if we have capital punishment or not--I'm never going to murder anyone, so who cares? Why not go ahead and make child abuse legal--I'm never going to hit my kid, plus I'm already grown up, so it won't affect me.

------------------
    "My hair's too long and you can't pronounce my name
    My favorite songs, everybody says are lame"

[This message has been edited by TheFreak (edited February 13, 2001).]

8. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

that is pretty stupid freak. how the hell can you compare theft, to the murder of 12 or so innocent children.

------------------
    http://www.democrats.com

9. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

How can you be so sure something such as this didn't occur? Another thing...since Rich isn't a citizen, any money that he might have given his ex that was funnelled to Wild Bill is illegal since foreign contributions are prohibited.
    I say let the investigation continue and the evidence will speak for itself...one way or another. If a crime has been committed, then there is no reason for sweeping it under the carpet cuz people are tired of hearing about it.....

------------------

10. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Just an observation.

Interesting how now that Wubya has said lets move on, that his party ain't listening.

Repubs still want to hound an X president.

I mean my god!

You guys are in now! You got the congress, you got the court, you got the dam presidency.

What more do you want!?!

And if anyone says justice, I'm going to lMAO!

------------------
    Everything you do, effects everything that is.

[This message has been edited by mc mark (edited February 14, 2001).]

11. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

President Bush pardoned several people involved in Iran-Contra right before he left office in 1993 (including Lt. Col. North and Cap Weinberger, I believe). Not everyone he pardoned had been indicted or convicted, so in some cases, it was like a preemptive strike.

I don't remember if Reagan pardoned anyone. But it wasn't as important for him to do so since he was being succeeded by his Vice President (it seems like Presidents do more pardons when the opposition is taking over).

To me, the pardons should be for people who have rehabilitated themselves and deserve a second chance. But the system is set up where the President can give a pardon to whomever he wants. Since he specifically has that power, I'm not going complain about his using it even if the pardons seem a bit on the sleazy side to me.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board
    The Anti-Bud Adams Page

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd have preferred it if it was a convicted killer -- at least, a single-offense murderer. It is more often the case with such murderers than other sorts of convicts that they are genuinely sorry for what they've done and are very unlikely to do it again. What are the chances that a drug-dealer, released through bribery, will fly the straight-and-narrow from here on out?

It is the prerogative of the President to Pardon people. But this is obviously an abuse of power and the Presidential Pardon is something that has been abused for years. I don't blame Democrats for this, I blame politicians generally. When Dubya leaves office, he'll do the same damn thing and I'll be pissed off all over again.

------------------
    RealGM
    Rockets Draft Obligations Summary
    Gafford Art
    Artisan

13. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

14. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

LOL! Your right there!

"But the system is set up where the President can give a pardon to whomever he wants. Since he specifically has that power, I'm not going to complain about his using it even if the pardons seem a bit on the sleazy side to me."

Exactly

Shanna good points.

------------------
    Everything you do, effects everything that is.

[This message has been edited by mc mark (edited February 13, 2001).]

15. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Personally, I think they are all a bunch of crack whores and would not mind it if they pardon each otheruntil they collapse from exhaustion.

This is not a Republican/Democrat thing...this is a money, power, class, stupid, dumb, old, American thing.

Yet another heaping pile of s**t wrapped in an American flag, delivered right to your doorstep via environmentally safe radiation.

Go team, go!

------------------
    Big A, little a bouncing B,
    The System might have got you, but it won't get me.

16. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

I know I wish we were France.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

When I first wrote it, it had everything under the quote command, so I edited it. Then I looked at it again and it had everything hypertexted. But I decided I'd damned before I edit such a little comment twice.

As for the hearings and whatnot: I think it is pretty clear that what Clinton did is legal... and unethical. I hope they do change the law -- not because of Clinton but because of Nixon. It would be unwise to take the power away, but I'd appreciate it if it could be hemmed in a little.

------------------
    RealGM
    Rockets Draft Obligations Summary
    Gafford Art
    Artisan

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

mc mark -- I HATE the argument that since he's out of office, we ought not to care anymore. The reason I feel so strongly against it is because during the impeachment all we heard from the Dems is that this shouldn't affect the nation/presidency. "Let him answer for it after he's out of office!" That was the cry we heard from Ted Kennedy, Bob Wexler and many others. Now he's out of office and the argument has evolved to, "Come on! Can't we just get over this now." Hell, no we can't!!! If I broke the damn law, you can bet your ass I'd be held accountable for it! And so would you? Why are you guys so interested in carving out special exceptions for this guy? Those are the kinds of exceptions we see carved out for leaders of banana republics and third-world nations.
    Some sign of equality before the law would be nice. If he sold the pardon, let's look into it! I don't give a damn if the guy is a Republican, Dem or whatever. We don't cancel an inquiry into crime because we're tired of hearing about the crime or the criminal.

I cannot believe the lengths to which you guys go to defend this guy!!! It's truly sad because it results in a compromise of integrity. I agreed with Nixon politics..but I'd be damned if I'd defend the man for dishonoring the nation and the office. Why is it such a stretch to expect those same feelings to come to play from people who agree politically with Clinton?

------------------

19. dc sports

dc sports Member

dc rock -- TheFreak made a great point. You can't always use the standard of whether or not something had a direct impact on your life. History has proven that to be a very fragile stand to take. Regardless, this is a discussion board, which is open to anything you want to talk about. It's a great place to exchange ideas -- so let's talk about the issues.

dc rock and mc mark -- This has been an issue for politicians on both sides of the isle. It's hardly a partisan issue. There are a lot of people here, in congress, and in the U.S. with a conservative leaning that would crucify Bush if he did the same thing. Also, I'd like to point out again that we are discussing a topic -- not running the news stations, newspapers, or speaking as a member of congress. We can discuss the issues of the world without blaming other posters for creating the situation.

Clinton had the power to give pardons, but that doesn't give him the right to do so. That power was given to him to right injustices done by the legal system. He is supposed to get the advice and consent of the Justice department, which he didn't do. There is also no injustices being righted here -- the drug dealer having his sentence cut from 20 years to six -- Clinton supported punishing drug dealers, except this one. Rich never even faced the justice system -- he skipped town. Where's the injustice to him, for his crimes?

For all the heat GWB has taken about putting criminals to death, he never had that same pardoning authority, because our state felt it was too much power to give to one person. He has to seek the advice and consent of the state board of paroles, before pardoning someone. It's doubtful that any Texas governor could pardon anyone who's sole qualification is a generous family. I would have hoped, while the President doesn't have that same restriction, he would at least have the decency to limit his actions, and seek the advice of his legal advisors, before using that power.

I think there will be changes as a result of this -- if nothing else, it hopefully won't be repeated. That's why people should look at this issue, so the mistake isn't repeated.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

20. dc sports

dc sports Member

He should be forced to live with Hillary.

With due respect Mr. Paige, having to live in the city that never sleeps, while his wife is hundreds of miles away, isn't punishment for this former president -- it's heaven. [​IMG]

------------------
    Stay Cool...

[This message has been edited by dc sports (edited February 14, 2001).]