1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Ivanisevic dedicates Wimbledon victory to Petrovic!!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by T-POOH, Jul 10, 2001.

1. T-POOH

T-POOH Member

Hmm, many of you don't know I am an avid tennis player and follower. Many of you don't care. But I have always been a big fan of Ivanisevic, because of his motivation to play professional tennis. He played originally for his sister, and gave most of his earnings to her because she had cancer and could not afford good doctors. It indeed made the difference, and his sister is in remission.

Then the war broke out in his homeland, and again Ivanisevic gave earnings to his country to help.

Now he finally is able to play for himself. He is granted a wild card spot to play at Wimbledon. He was ranked 126 in the world before Wimbledon and that was too low to qualify outright.

He wins, and he dedicates this victory to former NBA player and countryman Drazen Petrovic. Amazing!

I know, this borders on being on the wrong forum....move it if you must. But I did find the story on NBA.com. Great reading.....check it out.

http://www.nba.com/news/petrovic_ivanisevic_010709.html?nav=ArticleList

Tennis star says Petro was inspiration for Wimbledon stunner
    Ivanisevic Dedicates Victory to Petrovic
    WIMBLEDON, England, July 9 (AP) -- Goran Ivanisevic dedicated his Wimbledon title to a good friend, an NBA star killed in a car crash eight years ago.

Drazen Petrovic, a Croatian compatriot, was a member of the New Jersey Nets when he died June 7, 1993, in the accident in Germany.

Ivanisevic's father, left, brought him a news clipping that reminded him of Petrovic.
    AP Photos
    "I went to his funeral just before Wimbledon (in 1993) and I said I was going to dedicate that Wimbledon to him," Ivanisevic said Monday after beating Patrick Rafter in five sets. "Unfortunately I played pretty badly and I lost in the third round."

Ivanisevic said his father brought him some newspapers before this year's tournament. In one of them was a poster of Petrovic, who was one of the best shooters in the NBA.

"So I ripped it off and put it on the wall," he said. "I said, 'This must be destiny. This is it.' Everything was going smoothly and I won it. I want to dedicate this victory to him.

"He was not my best friend, but he was my good friend," Ivanisevic added. "He was one of the greatest basketball player in Europe ever."

Petrovic hit his stride when he was traded from the Portland Trail Blazers to the New Jersey Nets during the 1990-91 season. He averaged 20.6 points per game the following season and improved to 22.3 ppg in 1992-93, when he was named to the All-NBA Third Team.

Ivanisevic's 6-3, 3-6, 6-3, 2-6, 9-7 victory over Rafter was one of the most stunning championships in Wimbledon history. Two points from defeat, Ivanisevic rallied to become the second player -- man or woman -- to win a Wimbledon singles title without being seeded. Boris Becker did it in 1985.

Ivanisevic needed a wild-card invitation simply to make it into the tournament and -- in the end -- no man played better. Or with more obvious emotion.

Teary-eyed as he served his final points in the last game, Ivanisevic finally won the game, and the championship he had waited so long for, when Rafter returned a serve into the net.

The moment Ivanisevic knew that he had completed his long climb back -- from being a Wimbledon runner-up for the third time in 1998 to being ranked 125th in the world entering the tournament -- he fell on his back and rolled on his stomach on Centre Court.

Then he stood up, clutched both hands on his head and went to the net where he and Rafter hugged. Ivanisevic, his face contorted as tears fell, then ran into the stands and hugged his father.

"When I came here, nobody even talked about me," Ivanisevic said. "Now, I'm holding this trophy."

------------------
    RIP HOOP-T

2. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Looking at the # of responses, it's obvious that we don't! [​IMG]

That's a great story, I don't follow tennis much so I didn't know about this story. Thanks for the article.

It is in the right forum, IMO, becuase it did mention about Petrovic. He was one of the first good foreign players.

RIP, Petrovic.

------------------
    15 years later... Zoom

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

[​IMG]

------------------
    Cause & Effect

4. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I definitely need to keep my old username. UGH.

------------------
    My doctor says I am bipolar. I am going to get a second opinion. I have never had intimate desires for polar bears.

5. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

That's pretty classy. Glad to see an NBA player is being rememebered fondly, instead of being accused of taking drugs like Reggie Lewis.

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

6. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hoop,

I saw the final match and was really glad that Ivanisevic won. I thought it was really touching when he dedicated it.

Nothing against Rafter, but I was thrilledwith the outcome.

------------------
    Squatting on old bones and excrement and rusty iron, in a white blaze of heat, a panorama of naked idiots stretches to the horizon. Complete silence-their speech centers are destroyed-except for the crackle of sparks and the popping of singed flesh as they apply electrodes up and down the spine. White smoke of burning flesh hangs in the motionless air. A group of children have tied an idiot to a post with barbed wire and built a fire between his legs and stand watching with bestial curiosity as the flames lick his thighs. His flesh jerks in the fire with insect agony.

7. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

See what junior members get for starting threads? [​IMG]

------------------
    I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip that I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis.