1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ivan Chiriaev

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by xuxj, Mar 24, 2004.

1. xuxj

xuxj Member

Ivan Chiriaev is a 7'1 point guard, who will enter the
    2004 NBA draft from high school.

"The NBA wants and needs Ivan Chiriaev," the 19-year-old said, at a news conference held in his school's library. "I have a great opportunity right now and everybody from scouts to GMs, to presidents of the clubs are saying I will go top five.

"And worst case, it will be a lottery pick."

"I was able to go from nowhere in Russia to this day and this press conference with hard work," said Chiriaev, who hopes to move his family over from Russia if he is drafted. "This hard work will help me go from today and this press conference to the next level, NBA all-star."

"Dirk Nowitzki at my age played in Germany in a league which was probably worse than Canadian high school basketball, and Yao Ming played professionally in the worst league in the world," argued Chiriaev, who played for Russia's junior team. "Those two players are all-stars."

http://www.canada.com/national/nati...63-a556c62a73bc

2. ayears

ayears Member

ough:rolleyes: sh**

3. silvercatt

silvercatt Contributing Member

Ivan Chiriaev: "I can be better than Nowitzki"
    by s_knight8@[EMAIL PROTECTED] (s_knight8) Oct 22, 2003 at 08:43 AM

http://www.talkaboutbasketball.com/group/rec.sport.basketball.europe/messages/20473.html

It's not where you are from it's who you are. Yao Ming and Dirk are all stars because they are special. This Ivan guy is full of himself.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

http://bbs2.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75074

already being talked about in the draft forum.

anyhow...this guy sounds like an assclown but i do like the fact that he said he wants to be a top 3 pick or he is going to college. i wish more of our high schoolers thought that way.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

this guy hasn't porven anything yet. at least I haven't seen him porve anything.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

lol.

At least he doesn't suffer from modesty. However, he does seem to be pretty delusional. I can't help but think he's in for a disappointment.

7. Sane

Sane Member

You look at guys like this... You read the profile, and see "7'1 with PG skills, can play SG."

You think to yourself, "how could this possibly go wrong? He may not be able to play in the backcourt, but with that kind of skill, easily one of the best SF's in the NBA"

Then you read his interviews and realize he, himself, will be the reason if he fails in the NBA.

Would really hate to see his talent go to waste.

8. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

a 7'1" point guard? sounds like more exaggerated predraft hype. Wonder if he has game similar to Cabarkaba.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

on nbadraft site it says he averages, 26 points, 9 assists, and 17 rebounds a game.

so one of those articles is wrong i guess.

10. teknokid

teknokid Member

I would rather take a guy with 7'1" height who can post up and get rebounds. I dont think 7'1" pg will be very effective in NBA.

I hope he can prove me wrong though.

11. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

sounds like a small forward too me.. didnt they hype up some other Euro players like that lately? tall lanky kids that have decent handles but not the speed to be guards.. but those are still impressive numbers.

J

12. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

lamar odom, 6'10" (three inches shorter... i'm good at math, huh?), and might as well be a pg. of course i doubt the guy will have ball handling skills remotely close to odom, but ya never know.

kinda feel bad for the poor kid. needs to let some of the stuff that he "hears" go in one ear and out the other. i think scouts and general managers should be held accountable for telling these young bucks what they want to hear.

13. sydmill

sydmill Member

I did some checking @ the web about this guy a couple of months ago. from what I found he should really go to college, no muscle, doesn't dominate hs competition, all the other things that you hear about around this time of year in regards to these type of players. I wish these guys would understand that Bron wasn't just the best player in hs last year, but he was the best player not in the NBA. If you guys want the real deal, watch Luol Deng at Duke. Deng is going to be a STUD from day 1, especially if he sticks around Durham for awhile as is rumored.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

From nbadraft.net

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/ivanchiriaev.asp

Notes: Another 7-foot European "Uber Freak". Will play a second year of basketball in Ontario, Canada. Lacks experience but those that have had the chance to see him practice come away raving about his potential. He has been compared to Dirk but with a point guard handle. This season he will play in the backcourt including the point. In the past several months he has put on 25lbs of muscle. Some have made the comparison to Mike Dunleavy Jr. due to his ball handling and passing ability, but Ivan is quicker and has more size and athleticism. He lacks Dunleavy's experience at the same age however.

Notes: Sources indicate he will enter the 2004 NBA draft and has a good chance to go in lottery.

He averaged 27 pt 17 rebounds and 9 assists last year in high school. Averaging 9 assist a game is great no matter what level of play.

15. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

nbadraft dot net needs to learn about continent boundaries.

I don't know about you, but I want and need Ivan Chiriaev.

That's just me ...

16. zhaozhilong

zhaozhilong Member

That's a stupid comparison.

Because every other scrubs in the NBA can say the exact same thing regarding Dirk's and Yao's previous leagues, but scrubs are still scrubs.

I'll bet Shawn Bradley played in a tougher league before NBA vs. Yao's league before NBA.

17. zhaozhilong

zhaozhilong Member

Not too bright for a point guard.

18. munco

munco Member

this kid is the anti-Yao/Dirk/Kirilenko. Those guys are confident but not cocky. This kid is already talking like he's made it or something. He must have picked that up here watching MTV or something.

19. Sane

Sane Member

The guy is quick as hell for his size. he is probably as quick as the average Guard in the NBA, and that's superb for a SF.

However, he can't post up. He's not a superb shooter, doesn't have a superb jumper.

He's one of those kids, however, who picks things up quickly. Remember, Lebron didn't have J earlier in the year, but that's changed.

If this guy improves his shooting, he can be something.

20. lalala902102001

"The NBA needs Ivan Chiriaev."

I love this kid. :D