1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Yao's team, and Steve knows it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Mar 7, 2004.

1. James23

James23 Member

SF has toned down his game and recognized yao is the man, the #1 option on offense. this is fantastic for the rockets. however, the change is hurting his game too much. he has to realize it's his time to do something when
    1. yao is on the bench
    2. on fastbreaks. he should take to the hole like AI
    3. yao is tired and able to hold his position

off topic: yao has to improve his defense. he's good now, but not great. the big guy has to get off the ground a little quicker. what do you guys think?

2. chinese

chinese Member

I also noticed that SF3 tried to give the ball to Yao in the final play in Faker's game. SF3 made me crazy when he turned the ball over, but when SF works this hard, shares the ball better than ever,(than himself) , put more heart into team, I really think he can be better.
    Some players may pass ball better than SF, but SF is toooooo
    talented to give up, he is our another gold mine.

3. randerson153

randerson153 Member

I agree that Yao is constantly improving but what I'm saying is, I would like to see him sustain this throughout the year. I just don't hope it's fool's gold. Yao usually does have a run of good games and then regress. Yes, Steve is having a horrible year. He just can't put the ball in the basket, but I still believe this is Steve's team. I'm not doubt anybody't opinion on this board, but I'm just tired of finally thinking that Yao and the Rockets have finally figured it out and then finally go on a string of bad games.

4. randerson153

randerson153 Member

The "POS" statement is pretty much uncalled for. I'm pretty sure you're real big/bad boy behind your monitor. but as far as I'm concerned, you can kiss my *ss.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I'm fine with the Offense going through YAO

WHEN YAO IS IN THE GAME
    When Yao is out . . . We posting up Mo . . which is inconsistant

When YAO is out of the game. . . IMO it should be SF time

Rocket RIver

6. jon

jon Member

FYI , NBA.COM just put an article on their first page with highlight "Mr. Consistency".

I think you know who they are talking about.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Just call me John Kerry....

It is not flip flopping, it is just noticing the changes.....I have not changed my stance on Steve, just noticed that he has begun to defer to Yao.

DD

8. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I sort of agree, but Mo is shooting 48%.

:)

DD

9. solid

solid Member

So the Rockets need to pay 10,000,000 a year for flipping the ball into Ming. :confused: Francis is a first option kind of player who is one of the best iso, one-on-one players in the league. He is too expensive as a "complimentary" player. We need more role players like JJ who can get the 20+ pts on occasion (like Francis does), but is more consistent in all areas of the game, and much more of a bargain, cap-wise.

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Solid,

That is a whole different type of argument, and in that I totally agree.

I still think Steve and Yao do not mix that well, but I want to acknowledge that Steve is trying.

Personally, I would rather have a more consistent passer and shooter at the PG position, and one that is much cheaper as well.

DD

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

DaDakota, I agree with your sentiment to a degree. But to me SuperStardome is not just rising to the occassion on big games, but also showing "consistancy" over the long haul. If Yao can continue to play solid (as an example 20ppg, 9rpg over the rest of the regular season) then I feel comfortable calling him a "superstar."

And there is no question, this is Yao's team. We will rise and fall with Yao as the main player on this team. The sooner everyone gets on board the better.

12. Quakes

Quakes Member

Absolutely. A lot of members here look for trends just in the last 2-3 games which is somewhat unfair. Yao has been playing insane this season compared to the second half of the 02-03 season. A lot of it has to do with the players/coach around him, but he's definitely also stronger, fitter, more aggressive, more confident, less tentative and experienced.

By comparison, SF hasn't seem to really improve in the 5 years he has been here. BUT, I do think he's trying his best to play into a team system which really revolves around Yao in the Van Gundy program. I don't think he's a glamor-hog some portray him as. I really think he wants to win as a team leader - he's just a little weak on the bball IQ dept and will take him some time. I say go with him for another season at least. the SF-Yao combo will be terrifying.

13. Visagial

Visagial Member

I agree with you. Three straight games is pretty good, but many times this season have we seen Yao miss all of the shots he made against Dallas, LA, and San Antonio.

Plus, other teams will start playing Yao exactly like Najera did and the only time we've been able to overcome it was in the Boston game. It is almost a certainty that Yao will go into a 3 or 4 game slump before the season is over.

14. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

You wont get an argument from me bro, I think that SF will always be the vocal leader of this team because he's always high intensity, loves the game and loves his teammates. Who wouldn't want this guy on his team? blah, blah, yes I know people say he's "dumb", "selfish", etc. but face it, the man is one of those people that you like to root for, because he shows love to everyone. He welcomed Yao with open arms even when his handlers were probably telling him what would happen once Yao develops, but he doesnt care. Stevie is a team player 100%, just let him play SG and he will get back to being a 20/6/6 guy. Yao is doing awesome too, but I'll wait till he finishes the year like this before I start throwing around bigger compliments to him. In fairness though, I think if he was able to rest the last 3 years for even one summer, he might not have a problem with consistency or stamina.

15. Yetti

Yetti Member

FM510 Yao Ming doesnt regress!!! Yao Ming is at the mercy of others passing the ball to him and the Refs calling all the fouls imploding upon his person.
    His so call slumps are when he is kept out of the Game flow by the in aptitude of our poor passing Guards. Also even when Yao Ming has a good game you can clearly see how many times he is refused the ball when calling for it.
    This season you can count on ONE hand the number of times Yao Ming has passed the ball out, repositioned, and had the ball returned to him.

16. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

Whether or not I can kick your *ss is irrelevant to my post.

You are the one who made this ludicrous comments about SF getting doubled up at half court and I called you out. I did not challenge your manhood. So chill out and just show me hard evidence to back up your original statement.

17. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I dont want to get in the middle of this pissing contest you boys got going here...and I aitn making excuses for anyone...

but to say that he *never* gets doubled at half court is incorrrect.

from time to time(a few time a game), the opponent does try to trap SF either at or beforre half court to force him to make a bad pass out or turn it over..

It is a standard trap that teams use to slow down the progress of the ballhandler in setting up the offense.

now...back to your regularly scheduled pissfest.
    ;)

18. happyricky

happyricky Member

Though I am a Yao-fan, I would like to keep Steve in the team if he keeps going as in last 3 games. Actually I love this guy's heart except when he makes those stupid TOs. As you and most fans here pointed out, Steve has a lower BB IQ relative to Yao's, so he need a little more time to learn and adjust. You can say he played for 5 years, and yet not much progress, which I would put the blame on R.T. Now under JVG, Steve really made progress though a little slower than what we expected. He is now more like a team player, so the rest 20 games and probable play-offs will be a good test for him. When he keeps improving himself, let's save him for at least next season. I would rather we can get a good PF who can both defend and contribute to the offence. THen we will truly be big:cool:

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

and this is why you are the Ultimate in YOF Technology

Rocket River

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

My new sig,

thanks.