1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's (way beyond) time for Hayes to come off the bench.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsPimp, Nov 23, 2007.

Tags:
  1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Mike James
    T-Mac
    Shane
    Scola
    Yao

try it for a few games...it may work.

2. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I'd hate to have to pick between the two, but I'd rather see Hayes keep his starter spot over Battier. I agree, 3 starters who pose almost no threat on the offense is not very effective, especially in Adelman's plans. Hayes brings so much w/ his rebounding, defense, and his steals. The guy is incredibly smart on defense. Battier is fantastic too, but I think the sheer number of second chances we get w/ Hayes is too valuable. At this point the first starter I'd like to change is Alston of course.

3. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

No offensive flow. James is most effective when he is commanding the ball. Not gonna happen when T-Mac and Yao are there.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That's for those people who want to focus on Chuck's box score numbers and say that he therefore shouldn't be starting. Based on such numbers, Kurt Rambis from 84-85 was virtually identical to Chuck.

If you have an argument that's based on something else, I'm happy to consider it. But it's kind of hard to make a convincing argument when you don't have real data (e.g. "stats") to back it up.

What has a weight in your choice? A "stat" is nothing but a record of what a player does on the court, so I'm not understanding your point at all. Paraphrasing, this is what I think you've said so far: "Chuck is an offensive liability because he's too short and can't shoot away from the basket. With someone else in there, our offense would be much better. And Chuck isn't that great on defense either, so we're not going to lose much on that end either, if any."

What I'm saying is that you're severely underestimating Chuck's defensive abilities and overstating the "offensive liability" stuff. And your understanding of how to evaluate rebounding is also completely out of whack. I think that if you actually venture to examine the games in an analytical way (and, yes, unfortunately that will entail recording information during the game .. i.e. "stats"), that you'll be surprised how off you are.

Now, maybe you're not interested in being analytical, or listening to those that try to be. Maybe you have your opinion, and you don't give a damn how it holds up when you look at things in a more detailed manner. If so, I have nothing more to say to you on this topic.

#84 durvasa, Nov 23, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Hayes, Battier and Rafer as starters, means you are playing at best 2 1/2 on 5...

Ane when teams like the Mavs or Suns go to a spread offense with 5 shooters on the floor, that means death.

I know Hayes plays great D, but that is not enough to be an elite team.

DD

6. durvasa

Why? If the opposing team has a more potent offense, doesn't that mean you should put players on the court that are best suited to stop it? If you're talking about a spread offense, I would say Yao could very easily become a greater "defensive liability" than Chuck would be an "offensive liability". Teams like the Mavs and Suns try to attack Yao on virtually every possession, and they've been very successful at it over the last couple years.

Suppose we start Scola in place of Chuck to combat this spread offense. Do we really gain more on offense then we'd lose on defense? Chuck's far better guarding on the perimeter and rotating to help than Scola is. Thus far this year, Scola hasn't shown to much offensively except for a couple games. I'm hoping he develops enough consistency on the offensive end to the point where he provides more on offense than he gives up on defense (compared to Chuck). But I don't think he's there yet.

7. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

So they were virtually identical. The 07-08 Rockets are nowhere near as talented as the 84-85 Lakers, nor do they play the same style of basketball. What is the point of your argument other than that they had similar stats? My argument has been that Hayes should be coming off the bench and not starting. Give him the same 20+ minutes a game. I just think we can get better production and team performance with someone else starting at the 4 and using Hayes off the bench.

I've watched games and how Chuck performs closely. As I stated from the get go, I love his enthusiasm and energy, but he is one dimentional (from my perspective).

I understand the importance of rebounding, creating second chance opportunities, putting defensive pressure on perimeter players and how analyzing statistics can show a particular player's value on and off the court. I've looked at all of that (regarding Hayes) before creating this thread and despite the numbers showing Hayes' value on the court, I simply do not agree that those stats show a complete picture (especially with what we have at other positions).

Hayes plays a tough game (which I admire as much as anyone else), but I also do not believe he is as good a defender as you are making him out to be. Analyzing his game, I have come to believe that he is an average defender and slightly above average rebounder, because of his hustle and energy, but he is no Rodman, who was a legit starter despite the lack of offensive ability. And this Rockets team clearly cannot devalue the emphasis on scoring from any position.

The more I think about it, a guy like Webber (go analyze his stats from the past couple years) would help tremendously on this team. He can still rebound as well as Hayes (possibly better), can create opportunities for his teammates (something Hayes cannot do), knock down his own shots from anywhere on the court in turn keeping defenses honest (neither of which Hayes does), gets his fair share of steals and deflections (just like Hayes) all in a similar number of minutes as Hayes.

Is Webber the best option? I don't know. He is one of several options that I believe should be explored. I don't want Hayes to go away. I like his intangibles...off the bench. He should still get his minutes...off the bench.

8. durvasa

Fair enough. I think who ever plays best with the starting group should start. It could be Hayes, it could be Scola. I just don't think it's set in stone that just because Hayes doesn't score a lot, he can't start; there's no rule that your best scorers should be the ones that start. I would say that your best 5-man unit should start while also leaving enough talent to come off the bench and make a contribution against the opposing team's reserves.

9. Murph23

Murph23 Rookie

A 6'4" as our starting PF? Even Barkley was a defensive liability at 6'4" but at least he used his stubby big body when PFs tried to post him up, and his offensive game made up for his disadvantages on defense.

10. durvasa

What makes you think Chuck (or Barkley, for that matter) is 6'4? Is this your impression from meeting them in person, or do you have some other source for it? I've asked before, and you didn't give an answer.

11. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

he is basically pulling stuff out of his a$$ and presenting them as facts..

I don't care how tall the damn guy is, if he can average 7 rebounds per game in 23 minutes of play, along with all the hustle plays and great b-ball IQ, he is a reliable PF IMO..

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I haven't read the rest of the thread, but start Scola, bench Alston, start James, and have Francis come in to sub for him. We couldn't possibly play any worse than we are.

13. rockets86

rockets86 Member

Hayes is excellent at what he does (defense and rebounds). You will not loss much starting Scola because he does hustles and rebound as well as Hayes. Hayes does play better defense because he is stronger than Scola.

14. ekim

ekim Member

How many games we won when Luis Scola scored more than 8 points? That's right 0... He is still fouling like mad and causes Rockets turnover when he hesitate to shoot the ball.

I am fine with the way it is. Hayes shouldn't be on the floor without Yao and Tmac anyways. The team needs Scola's bench scoring too especially now when Mike James and Bonzi are shooting at 36, 33 FG%...

15. Murph23

Murph23 Rookie

You have no bbs cred cause Hayes can't score! That makes 3 players in their starting lineup that can't score. :D

Maybe if you have seen Hayes and Barkley play from court level, you would know that they are not their listed height. I guess you believe Aaron Brooks is really his listed 6 feet?