1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Very Simple: Get Romo or Jimmy G

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fullcourt, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Ugh just give up a 5th.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. Nero

Nero Member

Exactly. If this DOES turn into a bidding war - and it still might - then it is going to cost the Texans a hell of a lot more than just a 5th rounder.

And THAT is why Jerry is in no hurry to just release him. Because he knows, despite both Denver and Houston openly saying they have no interest in trading for Romo, that when the reality of what lies ahead in the upcoming season - either starting with Lynch or Simien, and either Weedon or Savage - both teams are going to become more willing to try to make sure THEY end up with him. All it takes is two teams. And then the overpaying begins.

If I was Jerry, it's exactly what I would be doing, simply waiting them out. From his perspective, there's no rush, and it would be foolish to just release the guy if there is more value there to be had.

It's a big game of chicken, and it will definitely be interesting to see who ultimately wins.

But the fans can see this pretty clearly I think, regardless of what the two teams are *saying*, we all know the truth: the Texans especially cannot go into the season starting a rookie, or Savage, or Weedon. The Texans know the FANS know that it would mean they are running up the white flag on the season before it even begins.

Because when is the last time the Texans won a bidding war for anyone? I'm serious, maybe it has happened, but I can't think of any.

And so we all know that if a bidding war starts, we'd be going against the team that has already shown a willingness to give away the farm for a shot at a SB, with the Manning move.

And this is why the fans here in Houston are going to start making more and more noise for Texans management to just cave and give up enough in trade to get the guy the so clearly need.

If the Texans do lose out on the guy in the end, and all because they were unwilling to give up a 5th in March? Oh boy...

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They won a bidding war just last year for Brock.

You guys who are getting desperate for romo are seriously underestimating his injury problem. There is such a high chance that he gives nothing more than a handful of games to his next team.

Bobbythegreat and Hey Now! like this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Broncos probably feel they are likely to have at least competent QB play from one of their young guys. While a healthy romo would be better, unlikely they give up anything of value for him.

Please also remember that the reports are jerry wants a good pick, not a 5th or 6th rounder.

7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ancient history though. What can he do for us now is the real question? Is he fragile? Is he as nimble? Is his accuracy and arm strength as good? Can he learn a "complicated offense" in time to start the season? I guess the big question is would you be happy if the Texans traded a round 3 pick or higher for him? Jerry isn't gonna trade him cheap, and if he does wait to the last minute to let him go, then what would it cost us to keep him from retiring? The only thing I do know is that Jerry is a jerk.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Would suck if true:

9. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

That random texans player doesn't know what will or will not happen.

Bobbythegreat and seank1986 like this.
  10. Fullcourt

lol like a player would even be privy to the FO's plans.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

If the random player had the initials J.J. in his name, he might........

12. Hey Now!

Yep. Oh, and most importantly: a deadline.

OTAs in April are going to greases this considerably, I'd imagine - and Jones knows that. I guarantee you BOB wants Romo in here no later than that so they can start the process. As is, they've already lost nearly three weeks.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For sure the Texans should set a deadline for Romo to be released in order to put some pressure on the Cowboys. In order to learn BOB's system even in a half ass way Romo would need all of those OTA's thus if he's not released by then, the Texans can say they are out, which would put Romo at odds with the Cowboys for not doing right by him.

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Texans can do no such thing with any kind of vindictive authority. Are you forgetting that that crypt keeper would just laugh and be happy about it cause he wants Romo to retire? In what world do the Texans have any control of this situation to "set a deadline" to be released?

If Texans dont get him and he retires. jurree celebrates as a win. If Romo goes to another team after his release cause the Texans "set a deadline" cause he wants to still play, jurree celebrates as a win.

15. Hey Now!

And I would argue people are over blowing his injury problem. Frankly, I'm more worried about JJ Watt than I am Tony Romo, who has been medically cleared to play football since early November. Hell, Savage is more worrisome than Romo.

Other than his collarbone, his injuries are not recurring; they're breaks that have now been given *ample* time to heal (and that includes the collarbone).

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If it looks like Jerry Jones is going to **** this up for Romo you don't think he'll start speaking out about it? I do.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well yeah, neither team is interested in a trade.

19. Fullcourt

Of course they haven't had trade talks. That's why you're seeing the bullshit about confidence in Savage and Weeden (LOL) in the media. As soon as you start talking deal with Jerry you lose any chance that Romo get released, at least for a long while that is.

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Of course there haven't been trade talks.....NEITHER TEAM IS TRADING FOR HIM. The Broncos are totally fine going into the season with Siemian and Lynch, and the Texans know that Romo would love to play here. There's absolutely NOTHING forcing anybody's hand in this right now other than the date which guarantees Romo's contract with the Cowboys. Jerry won't allow that to happen.

Also, on a side note, Paull Gallant is a chicken-little chode that always spells doom and gloom for all Houston teams. He has absolutely no inside information, and "random Texans player" has no clue about any of these proceedings just like the rest of us. In fact, if the Texans were dumb enough to leak info to the bottom of their roster, they deserve whatever fines and penalties would come their way from the league office.