1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Very Simple: Get Romo or Jimmy G

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fullcourt, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's pretty funny that you seem to think that "hoping" something will happen is the same as "thinking" that something will happen. I mean, it does explain a lot about why this conversation has failed, but just about every English teacher or professor you've ever had should be ashamed of themselves.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I honestly have no idea where you're going with this now.

You hope Brock will improve... but you think he won't? And thus you're still arguing against trying to improve the position?

I "think" you're well in over your head at this point... but I "hope" you're going to get better.

TheRealist137 likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Let's try this one more time and see if finally you'll understand what words mean.

The reality of the situation is that Brock Osweiler will be on the Texans next season along with Tom Savage and probably a rookie. Given that is true, it makes sense to hope that he gets better if he wins the starting job out of camp. I know you are still entertaining the delusions that Romo, Cutler, or Jimmy G are going to be here next year, but it's simply not going to happen, so once you move past that, we can get back to talking about the way things are.

Hopefully that was simple enough for you to follow along.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think we've all followed enough on you... but we hope you do get better.

You "hope" Brock will get better... but you may "think" something else.

That's A+ analysis...

TheRealist137 likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's tied to reality kiddo, you know, completely different than daydreaming about players with no chance of playing for the Texans next season which is what you seem obsessed with. It would be a much better conversation if you were at least talking about rookies that might be drafted, but you haven't made it that far I guess.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The reality is that Brock Osweiler is not a good QB and the Texans should actively be exploring all options to upgrade from him.

You do seem to be obsessed with opposing that fact... I wonder why?

Again... nothing but A+ analysis from you.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, I tried. I guess at this point I'll just have to wait for you to figure out what I've been telling you for yourself and then when you get past the fantasies we can have an intelligent conversation.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It's hard to take someone seriously when as soon as you call them out on their total bullshit, they decide to blame it all on fantasies and delusions.

But lets go on believing that the Texans don't need to upgrade from Brock, they should wish/hope that he magically gets better, and anybody who thinks otherwise is an enemy of the state and needs to be silenced with the media.

TheRealist137 and raining threes like this.
  9. raining threes

So what you're saying is that the McNair's suck as owners. I agree

If by moving on with the crap that's at QB you mean Brock is going to be starting even if Savage out plays Brock in TC/preseason then the McNairs are truly all about the $$$$ and care very little about winning. If that's what you mean then I agree with you again.

10. raining threes

But you just cant except things the way they're going to be. (Sarcasm,)

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

If Brock/Savage/Rookie are the '17 QB crop, the best scenario is the rookie winning the job.

Brock is beyond suspect.. Savage is suspect and injury prone.

A rookie beating them out gives me much more confidence than their beating a rookie.

If Brock noticeably improves (LOL), that's cool too.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  12. raining threes

So you think the team is going to suck next yr unless Savage turns out to be some kind of savior?

Because if you aren't delusional, the Texans aren;t making the playoffs with Brock at QB next yr.

I will make a bet with you on that.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The team didn't "suck" this year, so why should I think they'd "suck" next year even if the QB play is the same? I think for the team to be the elite contender that the fanbase so desires them to be it'll take improved QB play, improved play calling, improved running game, and improved defense. With Watt coming back I think the defense will be even better and I think that we could get more out of the run game with an actual O line full of starters instead of the patchwork BS we had to deal with this season so that's 2 things I would expect to be better. With that alone the Texans win their division again and don't "suck".....but we know that crazy fanbase, for whatever reason they seem to think that the Texans are such an awesome franchise that every season the standard is SB or anything less means the team "sucks".

14. raining threes

Every season is different and if Brock is forced on OB and keeps regressing like he did last yr, then yes the team will suck. The lockeroom gave up on Brock last year, to the point that OB had to go with Savage. That happens again next year and this team is done along with OB.

My theory is Ricky McNair is setting up OB to fail.

15. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Why will we suck? Two possibilities: (1) Our division has been the worst in the NFL for the past two seasons allowing Houston to win their division in spite of below average QB play. Tennessee is coming and an Andrew Luck Colts team will always be a threat to emerge. (2) In addition to playing a 1st place schedule that means facing the Super Bowl champion Patriots on the road, Pittsburgh, and Kansas City, Houston draws the AFC North (Ravens, Bengals, Steelers), and the NFC West (Seahawks, Cardinals). But fortunately there is a cure.....one of a short list of NFL elite QB's is available in Tony Romo and he interested in the Texans' QB job. Pass at the peril of repeating your mistake-ridden history Houston as Romo could be the final piece of a Super Bowl puzzle that has eluded the nation's 4th largest city for two franchises and more than half a century.

16. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

The standard is always to win the SB, Bobby. Success will always be measured by how many championships you have won and this is something that is standard in every sport. Fans of every team want AND expect their team to win the championship every season. Why? Because they're human beings, man. I get that you have some supernatural ability to turn off the switch and think of things on a strictly logical or rational basis, sort of like Spock, but most of us are not from planet Vulcan and we don't have that ability to simply turn it off.

The very word, "Fan" originated from the word "Fanatic". You simply cannot expect fanatics to be satisfied with winning division titles every year and nor is it prudent to insult them or make them feel like they just need to suck it up, at least not without creating an instant wind of backlash that will come full circle around to you.

Let me ask you this, are you ok with the Texans just winning division titles every year? Is this something you support as a fan? I suppose you think that we can win a SB with our running game and elite defense alone. Bill Parcels would have agreed with you, if it was the 1990's again. It's 2017 now, though. And this is a QB driven league now, if you do not have a QB who is among the upper echelon of QB's you simply do not have any chance to win a SB.

I hope you understand this, I hope the Texans front office understands this. But I have my doubts.

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Championships are more luck than anything else, and setting a standard based on being the luckiest team in any particular sport is a recipe for perpetual disappointment.

If fans accepted that making the playoffs was the extent to which teams truly controlled their own destinies, they would enjoy the experience far more. And even that standard is steeped in favorable bounces, opportune timing and overall good luck.

Super Bowl or bust is fool's gold, man.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, that's simply not true. The goal is always to win the SB, but the standard is always to make the playoffs because as long as you make the playoffs, you give yourself a chance.

19. Tha_Dude

No, this is not even remotely true.

I suppose you think the Patriots winning 5 SB's and 7 conference championships since 2001 are all just the matter of them being lucky, but I think many of the experts out there would disagree with you on that.

I suppose you think the Spurs winning 5 championships and dominating the NBA western conference for the most part of the last 20 years is all just a matter of luck, but I think many would also disagree with you on that.

Or, the Giants in baseball, the Cardinals, Red Sox, Yankees, these guys just seem to have better luck than anyone else these days. Right?

No, I think it goes much deeper than that. Luck is certainly a factor but its not as big a factor as things like "team building", good coaching, good drafting/scouting, and ownership that will accept nothing less than championship trophies because making the playoffs simply does not cut it for them.

#459 Tha_Dude, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  20. Tha_Dude

This is the mentality of a mediocre franchise and it's the reason why mediocre franchises always tend to stay mediocre.

Ask someone from the Spurs or Patriots front office what the standard is. They will tell you right away the standard is to win the championship.

Great teams don't have goals, Bobby. They have standards.

Do I have unrealistic and irrational expectations for my teams? Of course I do. Because I'm a fan, man. I was trying to explain that to you in my previous post but you seemed to gloss over that. Anyway, it's cool.

I hope the Texans do well and I will support them through the thick and thin because that's the sort of fan I am. I'm not fair weather or a bandwagon jumper. But, I will also hold my teams accountable too because that's another thing that I do.

#460 Tha_Dude, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017