1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to turn our attention to sugar - regulate it like alcochol

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Hightop, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Hightop

Hightop Member

Holy Hell. These people are insane.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/02/01/health/opinion-regulate-sugar-alcohol/?hpt=hp_bn4

Opinion: Why we should regulate sugar like alcohol

By Laura Schmidt, Special to CNN
    February 1, 2012 -- Updated 1812 GMT (0212 HKT)

Editor's note: Laura Schmidt and her colleagues, Robert Lustig and Claire Brindis, are the authors of "The toxic truth about sugar." To read the full commentary, visit the science journal Nature.

(CNN) -- I am a medical sociologist, which means I study the health of whole societies. I've spent more than 20 years studying the best possible ways to address alcohol problems in societies -- what works and what doesn't to protect people from harm.

I work as a professor in the University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine and at the UCSF Clinical and Translational Science Institute. This allows me to connect with other scientists who come from very different backgrounds but who want to work together on big problems -- think of a Manhattan Project, only one focused on protecting health through the collaboration of scientists who study everything from tiny cells to entire societies.

So three years ago, a pediatric endocrinologist named Rob Lustig walks into my office and asks for my help. Rob tells me that he's finding many connections between the metabolism of fructose (sugar) and ethanol (alcohol) in his work on metabolic functioning, liver damage and the obesity epidemic.

Rob runs the obesity clinic at UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital, where he spends his days trying to help morbidly obese kids who feel hungry all the time. One of the saddest effects of sugar overconsumption is to dampen the natural hormones that tell kids' bodies when they've eaten enough, leading them to feel hungry even as they overeat.
    Rob says he's also seeing that too much sugar in these kids' diets causes severe liver damage -- they have even started doing liver transplants on some of the kids in his clinic.

Fast-forward to today, and here's what we've learned:

More people on the planet Earth are dying from chronic diseases such as heart disease, stroke, cancer and diabetes than anything else. This is even true for developing countries that have turned a critical page on health: People in those countries are now more likely to die from the "diseases of affluence" than from the "diseases of poverty" like malaria and cholera. Major risk factors in chronic disease, of course, are alcohol, tobacco and junk food consumption.

Many of the health hazards of drinking too much alcohol, such as high blood pressure and fatty liver, are the same as those for eating too much sugar. When you think about it, this actually makes a lot of sense. Alcohol, after all, is simply the distillation of sugar. Where does vodka come from? Sugar.

We may be thinking about obesity and chronic disease in the wrong way. Most experts are worried about sugar because it's "empty calories" that make people fat. But what leads to chronic disease is actually something called metabolic syndrome, which can be caused by the toxic effects of sugar.

Added sugar at the levels consumed by many Americans changes our metabolism -- it raises blood pressure, critically alters the signaling of hormones that turn hunger on and off, and can damage the pancreas and liver. Worldwide consumption of sugar has tripled over the past 50 years, and along with that has come an obesity pandemic. But obesity may just be a marker for the damage caused by the toxic effects of too much sugar. This would help explain why up to 40% of people with the metabolic syndrome -- what leads to diabetes, heart disease and cancer -- are not clinically obese.
    What should we do about all this?

First, we think that the public needs to be better informed about the science of how sugar impacts our health.

Second, we need to take what we know about protecting societies from the health harms of alcohol and apply it to sugar.

What doesn't work is all-out prohibition -- that's very old-school and often creates more problems than it solves.

What does work are gentle "supply side" controls, such as taxing products, setting age limits and promoting healthier versions of the product -- like making it cheaper for a person to drink light beer rather than schnapps.

The reality is that unfettered corporate marketing actually limits our choices about the products we consume. If what's mostly available is junk food and soda, then we actually have to go out of our way to find an apple or a drinking fountain. What we want is to actually increase people's choices by making a wider range of healthy foods easier and cheaper to get.

Turning around obesity and chronic disease will be an uphill political fight, but there's plenty that concerned people can do:

Contact the U.S. Department of Agriculture and Congress to encourage them to take sugar off the Generally Regarded as Safe (GRAS) list. This is what allows food producers to add as much sugar as they want to the products we eat.

Support our local, state and federal officials in placing a substantial tax on products that are loaded with sugar. Ask them to use the proceeds to support a wider range of food options in supermarkets and farmer's markets.

Help protect our kids by getting sports drinks and junk food out of our schools. Ask our school boards to replace those vending machines with good old-fashioned drinking fountains. Ask local officials to control the opening hours and marketing tactics of the junk food outlets surrounding our schools. That way, kids can walk to school without being barraged by advertising for sugary products that taste good but harm their health.

We need to remember that many of our most basic public health protections once stood on the same battleground of American politics as sugar policy does today.

Simple things like requiring a seat belt and having an airbag in your car to save you in a crash were once huge political battles. Now, we take these things for granted as simple ways to protect the health and well-being of our communities.

It's time to turn our attention to sugar.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

We don't need to ban crappy foods, but we certainly need to stop subsidizing them. And if possible, start subsidizing good foods. Let price be the barrier, not the law. Article seems to support that notion, great points. And cleaning up school nutrition has been and always will be a good idea.

3. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Sugar is used to make alcohol. I remember watching the Supersize Me movie in college. Someone asked about one of the lobbiest "How can he represent all those companies" becuase they all seemed to have such uncommon interest: alcohol company, candy company, soft drink company, etc. However, what they all had in common was the need for sugar.

Sugar!

This is what happens when society thinks it's inappropriate to call people out on their eating habits or external appearances but deem it ok to criticize someone for the clothers they wear; or when society gasps at the decision to have Mel Gibson star in The Hangover II because he got a speeding ticket and called a cop a jew but they applaud the performance of convicted rapist, elderly woman attacking and hood-rat Mike Tyson; it's what happens when society says it's ok to persecute Michelle Obama for a $50k shopping spree that never happened but not ok to bring up the fact that Laura Bush killed a guy; it's what happens when people inflate their sense of self-importance to justify the tanks they drive while complaining about gas prices and how much they spend per month on gas. That and a lack of self-control.

5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

After reading the article I'm guessing that the people that you think are insane would be anyone that would be against the public health proposals and education suggested?

Edit: I know what you intended...

6. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Never thought Hightop was for the subsidy system that makes sugar so cheap. good on you hightop.

7. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Lolwut?

I'm good with a lot of ways to encourage people to eat healthier, first would be not subsidizing crap, but I'm not so ok with "What's next in telling people how to live their lives? OH I know, now SUGAR" mentality.

I'm not really ok with regulation and taxation pushing forth into people's freedom and pocketbooks because of the current optimum approved lifestyle of the collective. I would be for subsidizing healthier foods, and encouraging ways for them to be prevalent in our lives. Just not the way the article wants to.

Donny's post is spot on. Only question there is how to make the school lunches healthy, affordable, AND edible.

8. Hightop

Hightop Member

Get the government out of proving lunch.

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Better to let children starve and get malnourished.

10. Hightop

Hightop Member

Yeah, the obese EPIDEMIC-stricken population will STARVE if the government doesn't provide its subjects lunch (preferably organic burritos from Whole Foods).

Obama 2012.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are students at the school I teach who's only food is the breakfast and lunch they get at school.

There are also dangerously obese children.

1 person likes this.
  12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

The epidemic of diabetes in our country, and what it does to people, is horrifying. And in large part, it's unnecessary. If you've not yet had a relative lose a limb or mobility to diabetes, just wait.

At the very least, can't we all be for nutrition education? (Rhetorical dumb question, I know.)

Corn Lobby 2012

13. Classic

Classic Member

For you to have a problem on this particular issue shows me you're ignorant on the effects of high fructose corn syrup. I submit to you a health article in hopes that you will see the particular harm this is causing to be contained in high amounts in our food supply.

Sounds much worse than alcohol to me and a leading reason for the chronic health issues this country faces along with mounting debt servicing the ill.

14. Hightop

Hightop Member

Sucks that the population has been taxed too much to help appropriately. It also sucks people are having these kids think the state will raise them. That should be ended asap.

Sorry, it's not the government's responsibly to provide breakfast.

Those fat kids should be forced to redistribute their fruit pies.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

This is what happens when someone lets their ideology get in the way of good judgment, common sense, and practicality.

Part of the reason why Paul-tards like Hightop will never be taken seriously. Some of their ideas could do great things for this country, but they have this habit of being stubborn and idiotic when it comes to finding compromise and balance. Until the day they learn, they'll be sitting at the little kids table of governance.

1 person likes this.
  16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Uh, no. Sugar used in distilling and brewing is usually a byproduct of the malting/fermentation (other than cane-based liquours like rum). You don't need to add any sugar to beer or wine (though you can add some extra for flavoring/secondary fermentation or if you're making a craft beer

18. Hightop

Hightop Member

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Does not compute...

20. Classic

Classic Member

I agree. I also blame lobbyists for all our problems.