1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to start thinking about moving Jalen to the BENCH

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jim1961, Dec 26, 2023.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Stuff his ass in File 13.

2. invocux

invocux Member

He'll turn it around in 2034 haters stay on that side.

3. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Dunno what happened to him? He didn't use to lose the ball this much now everytime he drives I feel like he's about to lose the ball.

RocketsTerps and Radricky like this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I wish Jalen luck, wherever he lands.

DD

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Maybe is one of those guys that has to live until he has mastered a skill and it takes him literally 4ever.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

His confidence is shot all the hate got to him. He had that IG post before something like he is so inside his head or w/e.

I do sympathize with him but at the same time he wouldn't get this much hate if he wasn't clanking his shots all the time. He has millions of dollars hire shooting coaches and work his shot back up or something.

7. JW86

JW86 Member

If he keeps playing like this he should, but he won't.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

IMO, its criticism he is getting, not hate (mainly). But I agree he has earned it based on his poor play.
    He needs a reset. Either a different role or a different team.

He is 10 for his last 53 on 3's. That will destroy anyone's confidence.
    https://www.espn.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/4437244/jalen-green
    He need to be put in a position to succeed, and the starting 2 has become a position of failure.

Something has to give.

#128 jim1961, Jan 21, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2024
  9. invocux

invocux Member

I'd honestly die laughing if he still shoots 33% from perimeter in year 12.

10. NewAge

NewAge Member

What criticism/hate? Coaches and commentators have been treating him with velvet gloves since Day 1. There was a thread the other day here how Udoka was calling out guys like Sengun by name, but never Green… Media has been nothing but puff pieces. Remember Zach Lowe before the season with the big puff piece on Green?

It was the same with the Ignite staff, who were talking him up while bad-mouthing Kuminga on background…

Other than this message board and some randos on Twitter, the guy hasn’t been called out by anyone in the establishment/mainstream. I think people are sensitive about him being "sensitive", if you know what I mean…

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

It seems clear the time is near to bench him for Whitmore.
    It may work in his favour?

Perhaps his career will take off in a couple of years (Sexton style).
    Clearly he is a guy who can average 20 in the NBA - he just needs to figure out the right way to do it in a 'real' NBA offence.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Yes, I know what you mean. Much of what you say stems from optimism about his future, not who he is in the present.
    As far as call outs, those are given to guys who are expected to benefit from it. Its pretty clear Jalen does not.
    Jalen has become the underachiever who many hope will rise up, but instead, is starting to look like a defeated man that folks feel sorry for.

Plowman and NewAge like this.
  13. AmenTheSuperstar

Nothing happened because he is still the same Jalen, ineffective at key times because he lacks fundamentals. His dribbling skills and ball handling have been a concern since his rookie season. This becomes increasingly problematic when he tries to dominate the game. It's unclear what kind of efforts he has made during the off-season to address his weaknesses. It is possible that he has simply focused on running and dunking.

14. Attila52

Attila52 New Member

I think its too early to trade Jalen. Let him come off the bench and prove himself. Its not like Rockets are a contender yet. He will either improve or accept his new role. But, I still believe he will improve. AL P was playing professional basketball against grown man for years. A lot of American youngsters come from college or g league teams and NBA is their first real professional experience. We should consider this while evaluating Jalen. Silas era doesn't count in my opinion. He is working with a real coach for the first time.

15. omgTHEpotential

At this point it's looking like his ceiling is Brandon Jennings. And he's still quite far away from even reaching that.

16. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Problem is we cant get nothing valuable for him now. So yes best option would be to bench him and hope he improves enough to get something decent back. I think everyone here now knows that Jalen will never be a star, he is at best a sixth man for now.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am not disagreeing but crazier things have happened once the scenery changed.....

He could very well be a borderline inefficient star on some team nobody is really focusing on.....

If you expand the meaning of a star player.... I never thought Rozier would be a star but he is putting up numbers.

The chances are slimmer to none that he ever becomes an SGA type of MVP player.

Amel likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Then he already lost at the starting point......a lot of ground.....

If he took the path LaMelo did and played in Lithuania and Australia, might have been better for him.

19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

If cam plays like this every game green will see the bench soon.

Corrosion likes this.
  20. OremLK

OremLK Member

After a string of high minutes and heavy usage, his minutes peaked against Detroit on the January 12th, and he has played fewer than 30mpg for the past 4 games since then. Meanwhile, Cam's minutes keep going up. I think Ime gave Jalen his last chance to prove he deserved to be a heavy-minutes, heavy-usage starter, and for the most part, he did not capitalize. I expect Jalen's minutes to continue to decline unless/until he shows he deserves more.

Opportunity is there for Cam to seize the starting role if things keep going as they have been.

Corrosion, HardenReturns and Plowman like this.