1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to start thinking about moving Jalen before the deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 2, 2023.

1. MystikArkitect

He doesn't suck he's just inconsistent AF. He's not going anywhere and seems like the Rockets will make the decision on him being the defacto SG on the team this offseason.

When Jalen plays well this team wins. When he doesn't play well they have to grind out games which they can do as well. If they had a consistent SG this team would be more than just a play-in contender. Ime is committed to him so we're on this rollercoaster for the rest of the year.

2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I didn’t make it personal because I didn’t direct my comments to any individual. I do think the constant criticism, demeaning, and vitriol spewed by some of these supposed Rockets fans against Jalen stems from hatred and quite simply ignorance of the game. I have asked the question to these people define what “sucks” mean in terms of professional basketball. What does “suck” mean to you. Specifically break down and analyze how Jalen “sucks” in terms of what he is not doing on the court. The comments are usually Nothing of an analytical nature on what he actually is or isn’t doing. Instead surface analysis in terms of citing a few advanced normalized metrics are often mentioned. “He can’t shoot” “can’t dribble” He “sucks”. He’s a “bust”. “His nails are black.” “He’s effeminate”. While constantly demanding trades. Hatred. Pure hatred and ignorance. Very little basketball knowledge and lots of pontificating bullshit. I said what I said and stand by it.

BigMaloe, Ancient Moabite and topfive like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Let's just say you are right and Jalen proves everyone wrong bleh bleh....then what gives....it was just fans talking shet.....

Nothing happend to your real life....and nothing will happen if Jalen just flames out.

It has no consequences to your life or mine.....
    If you can prove you are his family, okay, I draw a line there, I respect you more.....otherwise you are just a stranger to him and us, strangers on a forum talking shet.....

#1583 daywalker02, Jan 7, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2024
    BigMaloe and Johnnyoxford like this.
  4. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

At the same token his play has nothing to do with you people’s lives lmao. Stop the hate. Get a life. Lol

And my point is simple. There’s nothing wrong with criticism and thoughts from fans but make your position based on facts, data, knowledge, fairness not bias, hatred, and assumptions. Sad that people choose the latter when talking about players.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Maybe it's time for some introspection on your part.

Stephen_A likes this.
  6. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

Jalen Green for Siakam seems like the perfect move.

Elevate Whitmore into Jalen’s role, he’s a better all-around player. Siakam’s length next to Sengun, and his pre-existing chemistry with FVV make me think this move would be a massive success.

7. fchowd0311

I haven't seen Cam do anything yet that Green has to do against loaded defenses. All his buckets are in transition and against defenses that aren't set where he has to do just straight line drives in a reflectively open paint or just beat a single defender. Difficult to tell how Can looks when defenses load up on him where he has to beat multiple defenders in driving lines.

BigMaloe, Hemingway, topfive and 3 others like this.
  8. OremLK

OremLK Member

One thing I will say is that Cam has the size and strength to actually finish through contact--whether that translates against increased defensive attention, I don't know, but I do know that has been a bit of a bugbear for Jalen. Getting knocked around, not getting the call, missing the layup.

9. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

Excuses excuses.

Cam is wayyy stronger, has a lot more muscle. Cam is a good defender, and he’s a really good shooter unilke your prettyboy brick layer.

10. fchowd0311

Cam is definitely stronger but relative to Green I doubt he'll be able to maintain a dribble like Green going against multiple defenders paying attention to his driving lanes.

You give Cam Green's usage he'd probably average more turnovers than assists now.

We complain about Green's "loose handle" but it's still multiple tiers above the current rooks in Amen and Cam.

BigMaloe likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Like you worshipping a mere 2nd round pick......and playing the victim card for a millonaire.

In the face of real victims of war and crimes.

Your fellow men must be proud.

Why don't you go to the garden and bark at the dog about Jalen Green, see if he understands you.

[​IMG]

#1591 daywalker02, Jan 7, 2024
    Corrosion, BallSoHarden and DaDakota like this.
  12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

This is very true. Cam is going to be great, but right now he is not better than Green at breaking down defenses. Green just needs to pick his spots better and continue to get stronger.

13. fchowd0311

Brah I have no issue saying that Green has been disappointing this season. You are here every single day even after Green has good games ******** on him. You are talking to a guy who literally said if he doesn't show growth by the end of the season we should look for trade offers for him.

You need some introspection skills.

BigMaloe, Dobbizzle and Stephen_A like this.
  14. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Not necessarily about Size. Fox, Morant, Trae aren’t big guys. It’s about know how in terms of playing physical and drawing fouls. Feeling a guy on your hip then jumping up immediately to make a shot is an example. Or if a player is at a bad angle not in position you drive into their body to get a foul. Or bumping a player with your shoulder and elbow tucked in on your drive as they’re reeling back. All of the above guys do this. Even FVV does this. He has to implement these nuances in his game.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  15. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

2 different skillsets. Cam is a 3 or 4. North south guy. Doesn’t pass well and needs better defense. Blows several assignments each game like for instance picking up a man in the paint while his man was in corner wide open. This may be due to unfamiliarity with concepts. He isn’t a 2 because the ball wouldn’t flow if FVV rotates it back. Great attacking the rim but he isn’t a secondary ball handler to FVV since his passing is an issue. He hasn’t demonstrated he can play PNR with Sengun this season or facilitate in any way even since College 0.7 per game in college.

#1595 Stephen_A, Jan 7, 2024
    BigMaloe and fchowd0311 like this.
  16. Risingred

Risingred Member

He doesn't have issues, you have. You should look at the mirror and ask yourself, how many games this young season we lost contributed to Green's inconsistent shooting? Every time people bash on Green, you and a couple of individuals will crown the poster "Green Haters" and many disguising words. In the last 10 games, only 2 out of 10 games Green shoot over 45%. Washington won a game once a while that doesn't make them a good team. Should we act like Detroit, ending a 28-losing streak like winning a championship? Even some games he played well, he still contributed a lot of uncharacteristic turnovers and made many questionable decisions. Green was a second round pick and he is a SG, the most important job of a shooting guard is shooting. He hasn't shown much improvements in that area for more than two seasons. The true shootings in his past three seasons are .547, .538, .536, and his numbers are declining. You can argue he is a better defender or doing better in other areas, but we have other players in our rosters do a lot better in those areas than him. OKC owns our draft pick, that's the fact. Can we ask OKC not to take our draft pick if we suck? Can we ask them to wait for Jalen's developments that nobody knows when will be happening? When you are saying you have no issues saying that Green has been disappointing this season, but your posts have been actively and frequently attacking other people that posted negatively on Green, you are being inconsistent like Green's shootings. At least the posters you called "Green Haters", they are being consistent. I don't hate Green, but most of our rosters are non-shooters. We need a shooting guard that has a true shooting way better than 53.5 percent, or this team will be mediocre no matter how well our defense is. The league average of TS is 58.1% this season. Do you even want me to go further with his Assists per Turnover numbers? All numbers objectively pointing that Green is unlikely to turn out to be a star based on the numbers, and his ceiling likely to be a sixth man at best.

You don't need some introspection skills. All you need is a mirror.

DaDakota and daywalker02 like this.
  17. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Not just that, I don't think he's realised he can just go over people with his hops, or he's not got the balls to try it yet. If Ja Morant can go right over the top, Jalen can with significantly more height and just as much bounce. That's the main difference with Cam and Jalen, Cam's fearless, he just goes for it. Jalen needs to understand how insane his athleticism is and use it accordingly. He only really leverages his insane step/lateral movement most of the time for space on jump shots and his hops on alley oops, he needs to realise if he's got a window in front of him he can just go up hard and he'll either get the foul or the dunk.

BigMaloe, Mathloom and Stephen_A like this.
  18. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Last time I checked it was a team game. You ever been part of any team in your life? How about work? What you do for a living? I would hate to be on any team you’re on. Btw Sengun had several 4 plus TO games. Do you blame him? Oh that’s right. It’s about demonizing one while favoring the other.

BigMaloe likes this.
  19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think Jalen's doing a lot better on offense in the past few games. At the moment FVV and Jalen are the only ones that can consistently hit Sengun on a PnR, which is our best weapon on offense. I think Jalen should cut out driving into traffic all together, even if he does draw fouls sometimes, it's a really low percentage shot because it's highly likely he gets stripped, or end up on the floor causing a 4-5 fast break. If he misses a mid range or 3, at least we are set on defense and don't have to scramble.

He should only be attacking the rim on PnR's when he gets a weak defender like Dame and if the help defense is shifted towards Sengun. He really needs to figure out his short mid range, they are so wide open, these are shots that good SG's like Booker's bread and butter.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I don't agree, Jalen does not nearly have the explosiveness on drives as Morant. We have 2.5 seasons of sample size of Jalen trying to out jump the defense and gets absolutely stuffed. He doesn't have the body type to drive into defenders like Cam either.

Jalen's layup makes are typically when he out quicks the help defense, not out jump. Jalen's strength is his shiftiness to create space, but he currently cannot utilize it very much because he can't shoot consistently, nor does he have a great touch around the rim. Those short mid ranges he can create are money shots for players like Kyrie and Booker, Green just can't make them.

clutchdabear likes this.