1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to start thinking about moving Jalen before the deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 2, 2023.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You really don't get it or is this sarcasm?

Tate is a pauper's version of Brooks and one could argue Tari's improvement already makes him irrelevant (I would). Unless something fluky happens, he clearly doesn't have a long term future with the Rockets. Maybe he could fetch them a backup C that isn't a complete flaming disaster.

Re Jalen, there is the wild notion he might continue improving as he adapts to legit NBA basketball. There are 51 games left to find out.

Mathloom likes this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think he's being serious.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yeah the disconnect I guess is (I think) you guys are looking through a lens of who can be a big baller superstar for us for many years. Tate has no chance!!! Jalen has some chance!!! Can I even math on the chance??

Tate is and will always be a limited/flawed bench player okay - here's the kicker, he's still actually solid in his role and contributes to the teams success. He makes 7.5 million per, plays under 20 minutes, comes off the bench, averages 8 FGA per 36, plays defense, hustles, and passes. We may eventually get to a point where Tate gets DNP's because of the growth of the young guys, and THATS... fine? I don't see an active need to trade him, he doesn't hurt the team, he usually either helps or is benevolent, he has no expectations of earning a bag, or getting lots of shots, or having a big role, we could make him our Udonis Halsem and host him until he's 43 for all I care.

It's like, Jeff Green has no chance at ALL of helping us long-term, he has no potential!! I don't want to trade him.

Jalen though, much like Landale, is actively hurting us whenever he plays. Unlike Landale, Jalens starts, takes a lot of shots, makes a lot of turnovers, and averages 30mpg. He's still got potential sure, Jae'Sean Tate has no potential, and will never be a bucket - sure.

I'm fine with Hou cutting bait on Jalen and replacing him (internally or externally) at the deadline. Nothing personal hope he does well and makes me eat my hat and whatnot, some guys are late bloomers. The boy just reminds me a lot of Malik Monk and I'd rather see us host a vet who doesn't hurt the team, or promote Eason to starter, and or kick the tires harder on Whitmore/Thompson at this point than continue with him (in his current role at the least).

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

What a sad sad outlook it would be on our future with this kind of thinking. This strategy of yours is pushing us towards treadmill status. We're bottom 10 offense and top 10 defense. So let's promote Eason and Tate and give up on our highest potential scorer? So that we can kick the tires on Cam who will 100% be inconsistent as 19 year old rookie or Amen who hasn't had 2 good back to back games yet and can't hit 3's.

You've WAY jumped the shark on this "production over potential" mantra. I suspect that at some point in your life, you felt like the undervalued role player otherwise I can't understand how someone would invest any time at all arguing Tate is better than Green for one of the teams that is so young it can afford to be more patient than almost all other teams in the NBA. GM's would be lining up to do a trade with someone who thinks this. I mean you outed yourself saying "the boy just reminds me of Malik Monk". You're admitting you can't get to an objective place on it. It's weird.

Nah bro, you're going to watch Jalen flourish right here on this team and don't worry we will be serving you the crow. You did say you'd love to be wrong right? You mean it right? lol

#1524 Mathloom, Jan 3, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Maybe Gil Arenas is giving up massive assets for Green.....

Jontro likes this.
  6. invocux

invocux Member

There is nothing worse than an inconsistent high volume s.guard in bb. They have enough great games to fool you into believing that they are worth building around but when you build around them you turn into a mid table team. It's so easy to fall into that trap.

We don't like that undersized limited foul merchant who can't shoot to save his life

[​IMG]

7. Ancient Moabite

Luckily for argument sake you (probably) sucked ass at playing the game at park/YMCA level so you relate to the suckage personally

Now tell me and the forum how you didn't suck and dominated when you played

Stephen_A likes this.
  8. Ancient Moabite

Every perimeter player who shoots is hoping (intent) they make it, well speaking from my side of the experience coin of shooting/playing

Which is why I mention way back that his inconsistency is holding him back as he flashed plenty of what he could become scoring wise

Hell Jalen spent a lot of time on bench under Silas as they were getting blown out for a lot of 3rd/4th quarters so the bench would be in, but now its better that he is on the bench when he is 2/10, but when he is 7/12 or better he plays, which is why every player would prefer to shoot the latter % than the former

I can mention R Allen/Peja/M Price/Miller/C Jackson and whole slew of others besides Curry who were great/good shooters

So it wasn't me comparing Green vs. Curry shooting, it was pointing out how volume shooters or shooters period all deal with the make or miss label, the NBA even did a commercial about it

Now go look through the history of Curry games and he has plenty of 2/10 type games from 3, but he has seasons where he shot 40%

Westbrook avg a 30pt triple dub(with NBA mvp) and a lot of people said he was rebound hunting and chucking shots, basically trying to discredit all what he did on he floor with triple dubs galore

So the most important thing for a scoring guard is to make shots, and if he can build off his recent small game stretch (more makes/good TS%) then he will be on the floor and not sitting next to Udoka like he has been during this Dec. cold stretch(lots of misses/bad TS%)

Stephen_A and Verbal Christ like this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

You know whats weird. Im reading some posts where guys are amping up Mikal Bridges as a pseudo 'star' worthy of acquisition because of a 27 game sample last season and that he's just in a slump this year blah blah. 27 years old veteran player Mikal Bridges given quarter by ROX fans while trashing our in house player who is DOING THE EXACT SAME THING!!!

Make it make sense.

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

While being 6 years younger. Last season at age 26 was Bridges' jump to a borderline all-star.

It's so odd and confusing.

This team is above .500 with multiple starters still in their development stage. How are people so down now is beyond me.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

IMO, if Tari continues his growth and the Rockets can get a backup C for him, he's gotta go because Tari should get his mins, period! Right now, I think he's better than Tate in every way.

The Rockets have to see what they really have in Jalen. If he continues growing, great! If he plunges back into a disastrous slump where he can't do anything right, he won't be worth a dime at the trade deadline. Udoka will dial down his mins accordingly, which could include moving him to the bench. If Cam is ready to fill the gap, he'll get the opportunity.

The case for keeping Jalen for the entire season is very strong.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

You want to trade Tari for a backup C?

[​IMG]

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is going to get rekt no matter what, his birthday is right at the trade deadline, and there is a high chance he will get traded couple times near the trade deadline in is later career.

That ego is going to break a few times......sucks to be born at the trade deadline.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

No I wanna trade Tate for a backup C because Tari has made him irrelevant.

I was responding to a post regarding Tate and Jalen.

jim1961 likes this.
  15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Well, that is not what you said.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

IMO, if Tari continues his growth and the Rockets can get a backup C for him, he's gotta go because Tari should get his mins, period! Right now, I think he's better than Tate in every way

Context. Based on the post I was responding to, the antecedent for "he" and the highlighted "his" was Tate. I wasn't saying Tari should be traded so Tari could get his own minutes.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Ancient Moabite and jim1961 like this.
  17. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

18. plegus

plegus Member

I love Jalen. This makes it hard to for me to comment on this so I will leave it there. Hope the guy is The Prophet but sure sounds like plays 2K all day everyday and do a show after.

19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

The forum is full of impatient people. I can understand to a certain extent since the last 3 years were not easy on anyone that is a die-hard Rockets fan. I think a lot of folks are seeing that our development is suddenly a lot further along than anyone would have guessed and they are hungry for shortsighted moves that maybe give us a chance to solidify our playoff spot (and possibly be competitive in the 1st round).

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I’d have to look at those contracts but obviously those guys are much better players than Green. Knicks are not rebuilding though. Green would not be a target for them.

jim1961 likes this.