1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to start thinking about moving Jalen before the deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 2, 2023.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You are right. This season is unusual for both guys. Brooks's shot selection is unusually good. Green's efficiency is worse than his 2nd season, which is very unusual for a 3rd year player.

It is possible that it has to do with coaching and system. Some Green fans are saying that we need to account for Green's adjustment to the new system and should give him more time. I am not sure if that is true or not, but it is not totally without merit. Green is a young player without a whole lot of professional coaching in his career. Brooks is a veteran who should be able to adjust faster. But I think it is also possible that Green is just not Udoka kind of player and won't be able to function well with that kind of coaching.

2. TimDuncanDonaut

So lot of people ask for young players to put on muscles. Ability to finish strong...etc. I'm not against that concept, but am wondering, since (while Green is still slim), he has put on new body mass. It's possible that's affecting his shot, new weight is throwing off his previous movement and rhythm.

NewAge likes this.
  3. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Since a number of you don't want to give our coaching staff a chance to coach up Jalen, why not just go for Lavine? He's apparently on the trade block. I believe that if we include Jalen we have the contracts to make it work. His age shouldn't matter because it's about winning now. Shoots 38% from 3 for his career. Still athletic. If Jalen is truly a bust and we all want to make the play-in this year than Lavine seems like the best of all available player options.

Or maybe we can get 4 seconds like GS did for Wiseman since Green's lost all value.

The deadline is right around the corner and we must make a decision about Jalen now! So any other actual trade ideas? The clock is ticking.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Your point about "the value of having 3/4 of the season to evaluate his worth" is fair. But I am not sure how much. And it could theoretically work against his value. If the Rockets want to trade him because they do not want the pressure of deciding whether to extend him or not, then other teams may also not want to take on that burden.

Also, I don't know how relevant is the idea of "sunken cost of a #2 pick" in this consideration. What difference does his draft position make other than how much he is being paid now? If he is a player of little value, then there is really no difference between losing him and losing a guy like Garuba.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is the Mystery of the NBA, Boston did not know they would have to fire Udoka after only 1 year when he had that scandal.

And Houston did not know they had a savior after the Silas years......

And Green might as well not be the perfect player for Ime Udoka but might be the player for franchises like the Sacramento Kings or the Indiana Pacers.

raining threes, Carpe82 and Easy like this.
  6. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

It has nothing to do with coaching up Jalen, and more to do with Jalen's inability to learn. Jalen has essentially been a pro for 4 off-seasons and has not improved in any single one of them to make himself a better pro on the court. So the question comes down to two options.

1) Is he stupid
    2) Is he lazy

I am guessing it is a combination of both.

DaDakota likes this.
  7. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

If you watch the first quarter of the Hawks game you should’ve seen we did play through Jalen just like we have been using him since Silas era. I don’t know how people can think Jalen is having trouble because he is in different system and he needs more touches when he gets 2nd most touches after Fred in this team but produce even less than Jabari.

raining threes likes this.
  8. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

A little harsh. But I agree that his lack of development is alarming. And that's on him first. But we just hired Sullivan who is supposed to be a shooting guru. I know that it sucks having to start from scratch with him. But if this new staff are as good as advertised, why not give them a chance before throwing in the towel?

I believe missing on a #2 pick for a rebuilding team is a major set back. I'm no fan of Stone and have been very critical of Jalen. But IF by some miracle there's still a chance that he can salvaged, can't we at least wait until this summer? Does it have to be at the deadline?

On a side note would you be interested in Lavine? He's available.

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Sorry for the confusion, but the post was solely about grammar.

I agree with you: In Ime I trust.

10. MystikArkitect

It's just best to treat Jalen like a rookie instead of a 3rd year player. He doesn't play, act or look like a 3rd year player. Hilariously enough his stats are almost identical to his rookie year anyway. I wouldn't trade him because there still could be an All-Star level player in there. He needs more time and at his current salary is fine as an off the bench spark plug like a Tyler Herro or Jamal Crawford. There's a reason these guys have been 6th men their entire careers.

I wouldn't mind at all unloading the draft picks for O.G. or Bridges to start. This team would become a minimum 45-47 win team almost immediately and give us *another* problematic and lengthy wing defender. We're capped ultimately because Sengun has no real backup and still can't defend a proper pick and roll but who cares. Again, don't trade him but he shouldn't be starting anymore. If Stone really believes that this team doesn't need to make a move at the deadline he's off his meds. Jalen has been a disaster this year and the rest of the team (specifically the two vets and Sengun/Tari) is so good it's been able to mitigate it.

Arnel, raining threes, Easy and 2 others like this.
  11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I don't think he's lazy, he's stupid. His bbiq is sorely lacking.

12. MystikArkitect

He's also unbelievably immature. He talks like a mumble rapper and he's being groomed by a 38 YO Instathot.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

He'z not wrong.

15. TimDuncanDonaut

Roosh unleashed his RocketsWatch discography. :D

Left none in the chamber.

16. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

17. Ancient Moabite

Coaching is a slice of the pie just like learning on the fly and getting rid of bad habits etc

Lets nitpick even more....... The NBA reg season is like 6 months, so he has been playing pro ball for year and two months, and prior to Udoka all his coaches were patsy to Green(rather good or for worse)

And according to his individual defense stats he has improved as the team has overall based on their ranking this yr

I think he also improved bringing the ball past half court that he struggled with rookie yr

I feel he also finishes better on drives even though that could improve in the near future and he should improve overall once he figures out that shooting requires your body to be squared up with the flick of the wrist follow thru

But for sure his matador defense has ''improved'', especially effort wise

So the couple questions to you is

1) have you ever played ball and taken it serious on any level
    2) would you take the coaching staff quotes on his work ethic being legit, or are they just that stupid to make such lazy comments about a stupid/lazy player?

ac in austin and anthony59237 like this.
  18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Boban playing lockdown defense!

19. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

There's no rush, we have Green under contract until the 25 off season when he becomes an RFA

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Leaning..........