1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

It's time to start thinking about moving Jalen before the deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 2, 2023.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I don't know why you are so dramatic. The rise or fall of this team does not depend on Green. You typically need only two all star level players to drag you out of the rebuild phase. Sengun is already ,95 percent there. Now you just need one of Bari, Green, Amen, Cam to get there. All are like under 21 years old so there's considerable time now that Sengun is already reaching good levels and we are winning. We also have Brooklyn's picks to package to trade down the line to make any other big moves. And then you have players like Tari who is second year player that is playing major winning basketball on both ends.

There's never been a single rebuild where a team hit every pick. There's only so much talent in a single draft anyway. The point is, there is no urgency to do anything, we are performing above expectations with a good coach and vets. There's no rush to do anything with Green until RFA which is still far away. If he continues to shet the bed, hopefully Amen and Cam or Tari will get his minutes and develop their own game.

I never get this facination with betting all your chips on Green if you hate him so much. There's plenty of young talent on this team

slothy420, Easy, cumutk and 5 others like this.
  2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Can we magically do Caruso for Jalen?

Corrosion and Aruba77 like this.
  3. cumutk

cumutk Member

Jalen Greeen is a good kid, but the thing is he is not star dna player, athleticism does not make a player star.
    Fundamental, basketball iq, vision, dedication and hunger for winning make player a star.
    And all these are not existent for Jalen.
    I believe starting from FO, manager should stop behaving him as he is the primadonna of this team,
    He is right now just an ordinary player like Boban. Landale etc.
    Sad but True...

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

There’s just no way that Mobley not working out for Houston or wanting to play for Houston didn’t have an impact on our draft selection. I’m not saying we wouldn’t have still drafted Jalen, but when drafting a high lotto pick, one wants the top players to work out for them so they are as informed as possible when they do make their selection.

busts happen, but stone owns the Jalen pick like he owns putting him in a bad developmental backcourt with KPJ, with a terrible coach. He owns all of that.

slothy420 likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

More bullish than magical.....

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think the Mobley not working out is overstressed, I think if they just cut KPJ earlier, Mobley would have worked out....Mobley's Dad hated KPJ.

7. Aruba77

yes, that’s my point. Stone’s decisions led to Houston not getting to work out one of the top prospects in what was considered one of the better drafts in years. That was Houston’s highest draft pick since Yao. Not good.

slothy420 and BigggReddd like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Also I hate that the organization was going for Me first players after Harden.........

They learned nothing from Royce White, Terrence Williams and all that dross.

Tunnel vision = All they see is talent and not the things that do not make talent fit.....

Udoker was the first one prefering FVV over Harden, that is a step into the right direction.

Fit above talent.......when fit is talented, then you have someone, takes time though.

If Jabari was more athletic, physically more intimidating, better shooter even, then you would have someone, but it is at least a start.

#948 daywalker02, Dec 19, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
    Aruba77 likes this.
  9. Aruba77

yes and why we chose to rebuild around guys like wood and KPJ. Talent but definitely me-first with character issues. Indeed a questionable approach.

slothy420 and daywalker02 like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I forgot Christian Wood, in a way he really was the epitome of what is going on in the Rocket Scouting & Evaluation Department.

Talent above Integrity, Fundamentals, Accountability.

The Rockets were magnets for either bad characters or fundamentally flawed players for many years lol.

#950 daywalker02, Dec 19, 2023
    BigggReddd likes this.
  11. Jags

Jags Member

Not being dramatic, just a realist. Plenty of young talent on the team, but not all young talent is created equal.

Jabari and Tari will likely top out as elite role players. High chance both will have successful long careers, but neither will ever be a first or even second option on a contending team that you can just dump the ball to late in games. Neither of them are playmakers or can create their own shot. And that’s okay — because I agree with you. Not every pick will become a star.

But Jalen is such a vital piece to the puzzle because he has the highest ceiling out of all our young players to be that star. Or at least co-star to Sengun.

It’s between Jalen, Amen, or Cam to become one. The odds of draft prospects becoming stars are already low. And if Jalen doesn’t pan out, the odds come down to Amen or Cam. That’s bleak.

blue_eyed_devil likes this.
  12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I can remember pre-draft comments about Jalen's work ethic and that got me excited for his pick.

3 years later... no left hand finishing at all and very loose handle especially going left.

What happened to this alleged work ethic? Can we expect left handedness in year 4?!

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

People mistake high end athleticism for highest ceiling, when do people realize basketball is more about skills than dunks.....

Corrosion, cumutk and PeterKingX like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Work ethic = gym rat......basically he does not know what to work on that works for him, maybe he is just like that from childhood.

He worked on the wrong things for basketball.

His style is better suited for Streetball and fancy Pick Up ball.
    NBA is more like machinery ....that you have to start being a cog and then become the major cog.....

I remember watching a Chris Paul documentary, in the Juniors till he was with Wake Forest, he basically was the floor general from a very young age.....that is what makes kids great players, being who you are very early on....which worked for the NBA.

The midrange accuracy might have come gradually....

Being a lower league scorer is just not enough right now.

#954 daywalker02, Dec 19, 2023
    Corrosion, maypk and Jontro like this.
  15. invocux

invocux Member

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Bogdanovic from ATL would be a solid pick up if they were wanting to unload him

I'm just throwing whatever out there at this point.

invocux and Jontro like this.
  17. Jontro

Jontro Member

would ausar + cade be available for green + cam + 3rd round pick?

harold bingo and robbie380 like this.
  18. bmelo

bmelo Member

Not only they ****ed up draft night but they also ****ed up his development

19. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Yeah the work ethic thing was conjured completely out of thin air, and if you had any questions about it you were just told to wipe the crust out of your eyes. How can you not see it?!

We were also told that he was the most NBA ready player in the draft, and that he could one day reach the heights of Kobe Bryant or Michael Jordan. Then after his first season, the goalposts magically shifted. He’s only 19! Of course it’s gonna take some time.

Then his second season rolls around, and the goalposts shifted yet again. “OF COURSE Jalen needs more time to develop! It was ALWAYS OBVIOUS that he would be a project!” (Always said in a condescending “what are you, stupid?” tone, may I add)

..always obvious? Wait, weren’t you the guys saying he was the most NBA ready pla… nevermind.

the third season comes around, and we’re now being told to shift our expectations to an even lower standard than what was ever imagined, even by the most negative anti-Green posters. And we’re supposed to remain calm about this?

ipaman and Downtown Sniper like this.
  20. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

3rd round pick? This isn’t the NFL lol

If you meant a 2nd round pick, those have almost no value in an NBA trade involving young talent like you’ve proposed.

Even if you offered a 1st, the Pistons would hang up on you immediately, and their front office would erupt into 45 minutes of belly-aching laughter.

Jontro and Prince_Hakeem like this.