1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to start thinking about moving Jalen before the deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 2, 2023.

1. Rokman

Rokman Member

Jalen has $hit the bed one too many times. He needs to come off the bench from here on out. If not, I've got a problem with Udoka's decision making. There is no justifiable reason for him to be in the Starting 5. Tari for sure needs to slide into the 3 slot and move Brooks to the 2.

maypk, GotGame15 and saleem like this.
  2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

He’s a tremendous athlete. That’s not enough in the NBA. Basketball is a skill sport. He is not a good defender, and what he is supposed to be good at is only consistent to the extent it’s inconsistent. Big decisions to be made, and he’s making them pretty easy right now. I don’t see a legit argument for him at all outside of blind optimism and I was literally voted Most Optimistic my senior year of high school.

I am assuming the Rockets are listening to all offers whenever and wherever. If they’re not, I’d be disappointed.

3. MadMax

Tari needs the to be given the minutes Jalen is currently occupying. He’s earned that.

BamBam, mikol13 and OremLK like this.
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm for letting him go to RFA. Worst case, he walks for nothing. And that pretty much means that he is nothing special. If he can drop 25 a night, then they will match whatever other teams offer.

Rokman, GotGame15 and Roomba like this.
  5. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

I know that Jalen's been frustrating to watch so far this season. I'm losing hope for him as well. Maybe being a 6th man/bench player is exactly what he needs. Perhaps the pressure of living up to the hype is too much for the kid. We should experiment with that and have him work as a scorer off the bench. No shame in it at all. Start Eason and see how that goes. I think he'll be a fine player down the line, but he doesn't look like a future star, which may be getting to him perosnally.

6. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

At this point, I think he has to lower expectations for himself and realize he may not be a star in this league. Then, I think he'll be better for it in the long run. He can still be a solid contributor.

7. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Yep.

The highlight video which duped this front office - wasn't even spectacular to begin with.

I scratched my head at the amount of fawning over Green pre-draft on this forum.

I even actually questioned why people were so high on him.

I couldn't see it then. I sure as hell can't see it now three years into his NBA career.

8. Downtown Sniper

The dude couldn't even exert enough energy to put effort into chasing a loose rebound in winning time the other game.

His player started behind him from a worse position and swooped it up which was a killer.

Jalen might scuff up his nail polish if he dives on the floor. That's expecting too much from our superstar.

9. Downtown Sniper

Said it before and I'll keep believing it.

There's unfortunately some poetic karma in that from the basketball gods - for the way Tilman butchered this franchise.

BigggReddd and daywalker02 like this.
  10. Downtown Sniper

... or dribble... or defend... or know how to read a pick and roll.

11. MadMax

….or rotate to even pretend to help….

Corrosion and Downtown Sniper like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

His problem is he cannot multitask and is overthinking things....like when he is defending and rebounding, he tends to do just that to a mediocre level or above average level.....but he forgets that he is a scorer....

When he scores, he forgets about the other parts of bball.

Players of lesser talents have multitasked.

Jalen Green is the prime example of what not to work on in his childhood.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

there may be something to this. The expectations have been too big for Jalen and he’s definitely a confidence player. I’m not saying that having only one guard on the court is a good strategy, but maybe Jalen coming off the bench and settling into a different role could help him. I said I’d give him till the all star break to make a judgement, but it’s getting harder and harder not to judge. He just hasn’t really developed much since we drafted him. That’s not all on Silas as even Tari, Bari and Sengun have shown more relative development.

The time to trade Jalen was before this season. But that would have been a tough call. Now we just have to put him in a situation to succeed and get his confidence up….so he can contribute. I’m all for taking that approach. I guarantee u the only reason he’s starting is because we don’t have a good shooting guard on this roster.

14. MadMax

I’d worry less about position and just give Tari the minutes, but Udoka has forgotten more about hoops than I’ll ever know.

Aruba77 likes this.
  15. Downtown Sniper

I just don't see that aspect, at all.

I consistently see someone who flies past their defender and going to their hip for some reason.

Someone who gets lost whether they're switching or not, both scenarios.

Someone who consistently makes the wrong decision when switching or helping.

Heck, Strus (if memory serves) went right by him today from the perimeter. Strus. The guy who has about 2% of Jalen's athleticism. Which resulted in a foul on one of Jalen's teammates trying to cover for him.

Yes I agree he's made an improvement defensively. He's gone from the worst defender in the league to just in the bottom X% with a bunch of others.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

as president of the Tari fan club (I literally have the “Tari” clutchfans shirt), I want him to play as much as possible. But I do worry about only having one guard on the floor. Maybe that’s outdated thinking. Like u I’m okay with starting Tari over Jalen if Ime thinks it’s a good idea.

I really think Tari and Sengun are the best of the guys we drafted from the 2021 and 2022 drafts. Im all for Tari getting as many minutes as possible. Not hating on Bari cause I do honestly think he’ll become a really good player. Probably not a star. I actually think Tari has more “star” potential than Bari…and Jalen at this point.

maypk, cumutk and MadMax like this.
  17. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Replace Jalen Green with Donovan Mitchell, and this team is a contender.

utgrad97, GotGame15 and Crashlanded19 like this.
  18. Jags

Jags Member

Respect your stature on this board. Generally agree with all of your takes.

But I can’t get behind your nonchalant viewpoint on this situation. The urgency from other posters in this thread is warranted. If Jalen doesn’t hit, the future outlook of this team dramatically shifts. We desperately need Jalen to reach his ceiling and it’s looking unlikely game by game.

He still can’t shoot, dribble, go left, has low basketball IQ, has no feel for the game, and has a small skinny 6’4 frame. He also doesn’t have the mental strength and perseverance to bounce back from getting benched. He’s been benched 3 out of the last 5 games with no positive response. That is A LOT to overcome. The odds are extremely against him. This is a problem.

Lastly, there is nothing impressive about his “defensive improvement” — he’s simply just forced to actually try now knowing Ime will chew his ass out.

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Watching CF's observations of Jalen over the years has been like seeing a parent who watched their kid eat 4 glue sticks in a row and upon the child picking up the 5th one saying "Wait a minute little buddy I don't think those are food".

Corrosion, comrade and gumbleton3 like this.
  20. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Yep. Exactly this. I remember calling my buddy the night before the draft absolutely frightened that we were going to pick Green because the reality was starting to set in as the Vegas odds tilted heavily in Green's favor. I hate that I'm right about it because I want Green to succeed, but I saw this coming from MILES away before we ever drafted him. His Pre-Draft interviews were the biggest red flag I'd have ever seen and I was called a racist for mentioning it. He talks like a complete dumbass. There's nothing but empty space between those ears. The highlight reel and then the Instagram comment sections flooded with a bunch of TikTok Teenagers screaming about how they'd lose interest in the Rockets if they didn't draft Green absolutely influenced the front office into picking this guy. In fact, I almost believe those instagram spammers were bots sent by the Cavaliers.

Tilman Fertitta and the Rockets decided to draft a TikTok superstar instead of a basketball superstar. I hope this is a lesson to all of y'all that are so easily duped by social media. I genuinely believe that if Jalen Green was less attractive and not some wannabe social media Fashionista he'd have fallen out of the Top 5. The cool hair, the cool clothes, the "cool-guy uber-confident" persona, the high flying highlights and his smoothness & fluidity with the ball (at the G-League level) had everyone duped. Brilliant marketing by him and his team, though.

#940 BigggReddd, Dec 19, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2023