1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to start thinking about moving Jalen before the deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 2, 2023.

1. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Yeah people keep getting the timeline way confused. Half of the board thinks he's a RFA at the end of this season it seems. It's why it's always been ridiculous the way people always compared him to KPJ as if they were drafted at the same time when KPJ was in his 4th season last year, and Green his 2nd.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

franchise-only-fans aren't gonna like this

Dobbizzle and glimmertwins like this.
  3. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I hate Steve Silas as much as anybody, but the idea that Jalen Green is this bad at basketball because of him is ridiculous. He is just wildly underdeveloped and has a very low bball IQ.

He strikes me as a guy that realized he was he was able to be the top of every level he played just because of his athleticism and as a result didn't develop a well rounded skill set growing up.

Now he is in a league where everyone has the natural abilities and what sets guys apart is their skill and ability to learn.

4. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It’s not a bad coaching decision, it didn’t happen. He made it up.

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

....thank you - my bad for the mistake.

Easy likes this.
  6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good post. More to follow in the way of a response.... I'll say this now, though, it wouldn't be so tedious were it not for all the personal attacks from the get go. I do get where you're coming from. He's being asked to assimilate into a team concept on both ends. And, is making progress. OMT - I wonder how much trade value he's lost in the last 6 1/2 weeks since I started this sucker. Or perhaps it doesn't matter, as we're all in.....

glimmertwins likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If only you had basic self-awareness.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  8. Plowman

Supporting Member

delete

Corrosion likes this.
  9. fchowd0311

If only you had an ounce of self awareness

10. Plowman

Supporting Member

I do and I see YOU too. It's vampires like yourself who are straining out what's made our forum special from the genesis. It's societal, and we are but a microcosm. You are a symptom.

Corrosion likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

Man I would love you to wax lyrical about how I'm a symptom of deep rooted societal problems. Go ahead hauss.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

What you describe was Kobe Bryant’s biggest problem with what he saw in most AAU programs in the US…and why he said he always felt lucky he was born overseas and learned skills over there, instead of just relying on his obvious and ridiculously amazing athleticism. It’s a skill sport first and foremost.

I coach tournament ball through a nonprofit, and I see the same stuff. Coaches who sit back and throw the ball up and just let the kids run…practices are scrimmages….zero work on the boring and monotonous drills that develop skills, because too many kids (and their parents) will pull them out of that because it’s just too much work.

T for 3, mikol13 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think the confusion is that the team has to decide whether to extend him or not after this season (the 3rd). If they don't, he will be an RFA after the 4th season. It is a common practice for a team to extend their prized draft pick to prevent him from going into RFA market.

jim1961 and MadMax like this.
  14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think people are saying that Silas MADE Green a bad basketball player. It's just that playing under the non-existent coaching delayed a normal development for a young player. It could be that he would just be what he is under good coaching. But we don't really know. That's why we need to give the four draftees in the last two years a little more time than usual to assess what kind of players they can be.

T for 3 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

A number of good points, but Tilman is the x-factor.
    How fast that man wants us to get better is the overriding factor here.

Lets say we win 42 games, make the play-in. Say we win there but lose in the following round.
    Is Tilman going to be happy with that because that is the REAL question here.

If he is not going to be, then trading Green will happen regardless of his numbers unless he becomes that scoring threat that puts up big, efficient numbers, almost every night in the span of the next 10 or 12 weeks.

16. fchowd0311

You can tell by the game plan offensigrly that the goal of Green now isn't to be a high scoring player. He was 5/8 at some point with 6 assists to one turnover and still wasn't featured in the 4th. So I don't know how anyone can score lot of points with that type of system.

But I trust Ime that he's basically breaking down Green and building him back up. Green's future ceiling is going to be dependent on if he can handle that type of tough coaching. By the second half of the season I'm assuming the plan is to fee Green up a bit.

Right now even if Green has a good start offensively he still won't be featured much. So it's going to be incredibly hard for him to go on some type of spree and score 40 pts or something.

17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I mean we are already approaching one of the most dramatic one season turnarounds in NBA history with Jalen being a lesser scoring version of himself. If Tillman can't read between the lines there and thinks that's not good enough, then we as an fanbase have much bigger problems than Jalen's play. I for one think the themes of Tillman being impatient and/or cheap are largely overblown and I think he has been patient enough to get the benefit of the doubt right now but I understand this won't be universally agreed upon.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The thing is, in order to ever be a top 4 team in the west, we got to have a guy who is a scoring machine.
    A guy who instills fear into the opposing defense.

Right now, we dont have that guy at any position.
    If Green improves enough to be considered about equal value to the other starters, we still have the same problem.

Corrosion and Hakeemtheking like this.
  19. fchowd0311

Maybe Green will be that at the ripped old age of 23 or 24 instead of 21 or 22.

The proffesionals here which is Ime and his coaching staff have much longer term plans than just one season. They want to make sure Green is average to above average at every other aspect of being a guard like defense and Playmaking before he becomes a primary offensive option. Sengun already has that figured out. And he ironically was the only player the past two seasons that actually got that tough love where his playing time was highly dependent on not making like any mistakes and where he wasn't featured even if he had a hot start to a game. Green needs some of that type of coaching. It was weird but Silas seemed to only want to express tough love to Alpi. Maybe he thought Alpi had the maturity to handle it.

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Its all about risk.
    Being the owner, they are his to take.
    It may not come down to whether he is impatient or not, it may come down to his overall opinion of the team and whether he thinks they can get to where he wants them to go.
    If he sees that potential with the guys we have, then that will dictate one course of action.
    If he doesnt, he is going to change something.
    That seems a given to me.