1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to start thinking about moving Jalen before the deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 2, 2023.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Well the fact is Jalen actually has more value for us than the vast majority of the NBA. His bursts of scoring (while maddening at its inconsistency) it’s extremely valuable for a team that has all the other pieces to keep a game competitive for 48 minutes.

So in a trade scenario you have to factor in a higher value for the rockets which makes Stone a picky seller.

I do think there are certainly teams that want him but I think it’s more likely to be veteran teams trying to both win now hoping he can be more of an elite 6th man while also resetting their talent pool for the future. I brought up Golden State before not because I love them as a trade partner for us but just to give an example of the type of team that would be seeking out a discussion of Jalen.

I do think it’s possible to see Jalen traded this season for sure though… I just think Stone is likely to wait till the deadline or even this Summer IF there’s a good deal out there. If there’s not one to be had then I would hope that Stone would plan on taking Jalen all the way to RFA if he had to and match an offer.

fattz and NewAge like this.
  2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Still feel the need to take personal shots, eh?...Dude...I'll say this again here. Contrary to popular belief, we don't really have a year if you factor in everything. I know folks speak about RFA, and such, but meanwhile his speculative value out there now, could be at levels not reached again. Also, this team is about developing AND winning basketball games. I'm under the impression that many underestimate that "speculative value" to certain teams at present. Of course, there is risk associated with what we're doing, and sometimes you need to lock in profits. Again, I want to move JG before the deadline, for a young, but established high quality player that we can plug in. Going past the deadline is a much more serious commitment than many seem to realize..

subtomic, Imanimal and daywalker02 like this.
  3. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

You are spot on Plowman and posters like Mathloom are usually a day late to the parade. They are the ones who ridiculed me endlessly for my three years of posts against Silas. Green has great trade value now to a team like Detroit, but the more he plays in a defensive system like ours which relies on smart, low turnover basketball with high iq players, the more his Silas style of open court selfish basketball just doesn’t fit our narrative. Keep playing him and teams will see his 23 points per game average from last year drop to 17 points per game and his trade value will diminish. Needs to be traded now!

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I wasn't talking about you but I don't see where here you've demonstrated we can't wait?

We can wait till the following summer. There is an insignifiant risk that he gets paid a lot and he's not worth it - the least likely outcome of all outcomes. It would be an act of insane paranoia to trade him now because of that.

The proof is on the pudding. Whoever is saying to trade Green right now is by far the earliest in the world to say so. That's by definition the most dramatic position. It's not even being said about his peers.

It's just totally misguided. It's the worst asset/risk management I've ever heard of. To dump your pick earlier than anyone makes assessments because god forbid you don't get that late lottery pick for him now?

Come on. It's absurd. You have no idea which way these first 18 games will end up. No one knows. That's how little time it's been in the new system. Just wait till the deadline at least, that's the soonest anyone can be taken seriously.

GOATuve likes this.
  5. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

I guess what I don't understand is what exactly people want to trade him for. I get he's streaky and there's frustration but what could we actually get that would make us better? Despite his inconsistencies outside of Sengun he's our most capable scorer.

I already saw the idiotic and unreasonable suggestion of a mid to late first round pick. For the people wanting to trade him I'd like to hear for who. Not the "good young player " ect.. actual names. Otherwise this thread is pointless

6. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

If you were to move him it would probably have to be for Trae Young type (who has had problems in the locker room). Not sure we really want to take that on again after dealing with the complete disaster KPJ was

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

You are exactly correct and I don’t see how you took as personal attack on anyone. It’s just an opinion. For the life of me, I don’t understand how these posters get so upset.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  8. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's one of the worst posters on basketball message boards so par for the course. I'd say.

Ancient Moabite, YOLO and GOATuve like this.
  9. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

I think people want someone who is stable, even to the eye...like Holliday but better. That works during the regular season but you want someone explosive during the playoffs. Now, Jalen has the potential but is he ready? I don't know but I am not ready to give up on him. Rockets need him...Sengun needs him!

Ancient Moabite and GOATuve like this.
  10. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

It seems that way. Most of the threads I have read through (many obviously far too long to catch up) have him tossing out wild ideas with no substance whatsoever. Kind of like Skip Bayless. He also from the brief things I've read apparently hates Jalen Green. He's got a ton of posts so I assumed he would be a tad more reasonable. Apparently not

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  11. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

And that's completely fair. I was hoping for a huge start to the season after seeing him working out in the offseason just like everyone else but no question he's been inconsistent. I am very pleased that he's improved his defense a lot since it was no existent in the past outside of playing passing lanes. If he's ready it's hard to say. I like what Ime has done with this team and the culture is obviously different. It sucks we wasted all this time with the Silas and KPJ experiment that clearly did absolutely nothing. Benching Sengun, letting a complete buffoon run pg and do whatever he wants, not holding Jalen accountable, not running plays for Jabari...the list goes on and on.

Look at Sengun this season. There's no way he should have been sitting last season. The kid is a star. Sure he's got thongs to improve on but that's the best part. He's far from a finished product and already playing like an Allstars. Jabari is much improved too. That's my hope for Jalen. I think this is the first season he's having to grow up because he wasn't properly coached. I wouldn't be surprised to see him break out in the second half.

Agreed that Alpi does need him. They have good chemistry together. That's why I would be so hesitant to trade him

Old School74 likes this.
  12. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I think it’s fair to say that Green is the same offensively with the exception of he has been a better passer.

he has been markedly better on defense. However that is just average to slightly below average.

We seem to have hit on operation tank. Sengun looks like he will easily be a top 15 player over the next few years. ISmith see lol f

13. OkayAyeReloaded

Let him develop, again many players including the ones he was compared to Lavine and Beal developed into stars in their sixth and seventh years, well past their rookie contracts.

Judging a player for two years and 18 games for their whole potential isn't enough time imo. I personally would assess him after year four of his rookie contract to check his progression at least.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think it's fair to even acknowledge how terrible Jalen is at basketball until at least the 4th year of his second max contract.

15. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Amazing contribution to the discussion. I don't understand people like yourself. If you want to criticize Green then that's completely reasonable. Why waste your time trolling a serious conversation? I'm assuming you're a high school kid just messing around but I would suggest finding better uses of your time.

16. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

The funny thing is I agree on alot of your takes on various topics. I don't get the relentless unquenchable hate for green like from basically his first week in the NBA I think. Do you not get tired of it?

17. OkayAyeReloaded

This is comparing the three through age 21 and all three NBA seasons, keep in mind Jalen hasn't finished his third season to allow a matching sample size of games for averages.

[​IMG]

18. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Oh, he's someone who hates Green. Seems like that's a little too common around here. I get being disappointed somewhat by his progress but it's not like he's a bad kid that warrants any hate. He's just young and inconsistent I would get it if he was a scumbag like KPJ was but he just might not end up being what everyone hoped. Or, he could surpass it. You never know. As long he can help us win that's all I care about

anthony59237 and eliefor3 like this.
  19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Smith and Eason probably both have floor of elite elite role player. Out of Green, Whitmore and Amen, we need one more star to emerge and if you notice, we are not yet writing up anyone as completely busty. Nor are we factoring in that Eason or Smith could become stars.

So maybe Green ends up the highest pick and the worst player of the tank. So what? It is why we engineered the process to be able to take multiple bites at the apple.

Corrosion, Rocketeer and Plowman like this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not "hate", I'm just having a little fun with his most blind superfans. They've had absurd hot takes about Jalen since day one and have always been upset that I've taken a more reasonable stance on their favorite player.

I think I'll always see their hot takes as hilarious, but it's possible it could get old at some point.

eliefor3 likes this.