1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Its Time to Seriously Consider Moving Battier

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pgabriel, May 18, 2009.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I know Battier got a lot of love these playoffs and I was really impressed with what he did against Portland. But in the end, the guy averaged 8 points on 40% and 31% from the three point line while making $6.5MM. Everyone talks about how hard he made Kobe work, Kobe may have had to work, Kobe still average 27 points on 45% shooting.

Are you really getting value out of Battier. Its time for the Battier lovers to quit talking about BBIQ and lets talk about production vs. salary. I understand he was injured this year, and I give him credit for closing the season strongly, but I think he was exposed against the Lakers pretty much after game three.

If the guy can't even nail down the corner three pointer, what can he do? He was the one who was shut down offensively and when we're running with Chuck Hayes at center its not going to cut it. I don't think battier drove past his man one time in the Lakers series. That's unacepatable.

This guy has trade value, and for what he does, he eats us a pretty decent chunk of cap space. The rockets need to continue the youth movement. If they can sign Artest, this is even more reason to drop battier.

2. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Are you kidding me? His contract is an absolute value contract. This guy is the leader of the team. Did you like the chemistry we had in the playoffs? Did you like our hustle, our focus, our determination to win, our heart? That was all Battier. If you want to move him right after our run this year, then so be it. Prepare to be seriously flamed.

3. Suuso

Suuso Member

Are you high?? Who else is going to give us same kind of energy, hustle and leadership with that price? Plus he's a great lockerroom guy and all of he's teammates respect him a lot. We're talking about the best perimeter defender in the league!! WAKE UP!!

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Battier is not the reason that the Rox lost to the Lakers.

5. joesr

joesr Member

Um no

6. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

You can look at his individual D and say it is not as good, but something overlooked is our team D. He is the key to keeping our teams defense strong. He has been the one to keep the Van Gundy intesity on the defensive side of the ball.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

You have to move Ron or Shane......I vote Ron....

If you are starting both of them next year you are not a championship contender...

You can have one in the lineup, and I choose the smart one that plays within the offense over the crazy one who thinks he is an older Lebron.

DD

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

That's not an argument either way.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I thought he played pretty well in the playoffs - I agree that he's not a great wing player with Chuck Hayes and other offensive misfits, but then maybe you've got to get keep them off the floor instead.

I think you might be reading too much into averages as well - that's what a certain poster did with Aaron Brooks to obscure the fact that he put up 3 clunker games in the middle of the Portland series- the playoffs aren't an aggregate, the playoffs are about deliveing in individual games & moments. Battier hit several clutch three's vs. Portland and had one big outburst vs. the Lakers too - that's about what you'd expect.

I guess we'll see what Dahntay Jones does in teh Battier role vs. LAL next round - I think he gives you about the same on a points basis but I don't think Kobe will take as many contested shots and I don't know if he gives you the back-tap rebounds & other plays that Battier gives you.

If you want to trade him though, now is the time, his value I don't think will ever be higher.

1 person likes this.
  10. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

Not saying we should trade Battier, but Tayshaun Prince is a better individual player than Battier. I think he is the Kobe stopper. The year Detroit beat down the Lakers, Prince's length, agility, and not going for ball fakes gave Bryant fits and he was busy jacking up outside jumpers the entire series.

What I don't know about is his intangible stuff, like how good a teammate is, how well does he coach other players on the floor, how well does he help defend, etc.

He makes about 2mil more than Bat and is a better individual defender and shows more offensive game, but I think the Rockets org are just fine with Battier.

11. erod

erod Member

Somebody already said it before, but Battier wasn't brought in to be an offensive powerhouse. And Kobe shouldn't be the litmus test on how good of a defender Shane is. Kobe is the best player in the league. But if you do want to use Kobe, show me somebody who defends on par with Shane in that category. I challenge you there. I bet you can't do it.
    Everybody want to point out how unproductive he is by pointing to OFFENSIVE statistics. Last time I checked, offense wasn't the only thing basketball players did on the court. Artest is slowing down. He was getting burnt badly by Kobe. Battier is our best defensive player. If we lose him then a big chunk of our defense goes with him. If anybody thought Shane was "exposed" or was surprised about how little he produces offensively, then you are someone who has never watched Shane play in your life. Most Rockets fans already knew what he brought to the table.

That being said, I'm not opposed to trading anybody on this team as long as it makes sense and it makes the team better. But let's try to analyze things from a complete perspective and not just from the offensive side of things. What's that saying, something like, "Defense wins games, but offense gets the glory."

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

We held the Lakers to 89 points yesterday...did the defense win the game?

Balance wins....not defense, not offense...balance, we are unbalanced towards defense right now....mostly because Tmac and Yao were out, but even then, we still need some efficiency on offense.

DD

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm with you....frankly, regardless of what happens with Artest. I understand Battier is a "born winner" and a "great defender" - and I do actually agree with those statements. But great individual offense beats great individual defense 9 times out of 10 - even Battier would agree that for as much love as he gets for guarding Kobe, he gets scorched by him regularly. He makes him work, sure, but the best defense on Kobe, or any great player, is suffocating team defense.

My two biggest concerns about losing Shane would be:

1. Does team defense get more than proportionally worse from losing Battier? You'd expect some drop in team defense if you replace Battier with a worse defender, but does it drop even more than expected? Is he the glue for the defense overall?

2. Leadership. I think Yao has nicely slid into that quite but respected leader role finally. But Shane is clearly the vocal leader. And with Ron on the team, and Brooks as your starting PG (even with another year under his belt), I think you need a vocal leader.

That said, I would support any trade that gets you something valuable in return, and that might be something - a team on the cusp, not financially in trouble

I really think they need a true "shooting guard" to play the shooting guard position. It's why Rick went with the Brooks/Lowry combo so much. A guy who has decent speed, decent handles, can run off picks, pop some threes and make some basket cuts. Maybe a sign and trade for Ben Gordon - you'd be way too small in the backcourt, though.

D. Jones makes under $800k and plays 18 mpg. I don't think Shane should be relegated to D. Jones status, but I think it is interesting you make that comparison.

Shane just isn't a great value player. Luis Scola is a great value at $3.1 million. Our rookie contract guys (Brooks, Landry, Lowry) are great values. Shane isn't. He makes $6.4 million, going up over the rest of his contract - 3 years. Which puts him behind Tracy, Yao and Ron. Hey, at least he is rarely injured when it counts.

Obviously, in Shane's defense, it's a little tougher playing your role when the top two guys are out and your role changes. I think with a healthy Yao, Tracy, Ron, etc. Shane does become the perfect role player. He'd still be overpaid, though. And it is unlikely that trio will ever play together when all are healthy.

I do see the intangibles with Shane, but I'd agree with the OP - if you can move Shane to a team that has some productive talent to give up but needs the intangibles more, than it could be a smart move.

#13 JayZ750, May 18, 2009
    Last edited: May 18, 2009
  14. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

you only move battier if you get something really, really good back.

otherwise, move ron. or rather, let him walk.

if you put battier on the market, every other team in the NBA would get in line. he might be the most valuable player on our team in that regard, either him or scola.

i'm not saying he's off limits at all. he has more value now than he has had in the past because of what he did in the playoffs. but if you move him, its going to leave a big hole, so you better really know what you're doing.

15. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

The absolute best thing about all these threads is that we are not the ones who make the decisions. It's funny how we all talk about "it's time to seriously consider moving Battier" as if we have anything to do with the decision-making process (or that a GM would actually come on this board and take our advice). I am just thankful that we have two very qualified individuals in Morey and Adelman to take care of this.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Morey's not gonna see my thread? :confused:

17. corby

corby Contributing Member

Daryl Morey is a lot smarter than you. His contract is the best bargain in the NBA for non-rookie contracts.

Kobe Bryant shot 42% over the last four games of the series. Do you know how many teams would kill to be able to contain Kobe like that over the course of a playoff series? I can name at least two: Nuggets and Cavaliers.

He won't say it, but Battier is the leader on this team. He is the Yin to Ron-Ron's Yang. Let's face it: if Battier wasn't on the team, by the end of this series Ron-Ron and at least two second-year players on the roster would have been killed in a shootout at Treasures by now.

18. realrockyboy

realrockyboy Rookie

Lol, Rockets finally get to second round, had a good run with last year's runner up, and all of a sudden fans are asking to trade everybody....

19. Kracka0476

Kracka0476 Member

Are you guys smoking crack? Did you watch the playoffs?
    Battier is the leader of this team crackheads.

20. Raven

Raven Member

Depends on who we get in return, but this teams needs more athleticism, youth, and scoring - badly. Ultimately, no matter who the Rockets trade, or choose not to resign, you can be sure that there will be plenty of complaining over it.