1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to remake the team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, May 7, 2012.

1. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Austin Rivers fits that criteria.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Don't agree with everything here, but a thoughtful post.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Can't resist. :)

[​IMG]

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

They did. And Morris busted out, so far.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Someone help me out here. What the eff does this mean ...

The perimeter positions are 1, 2, and 3. The decision makers are 1 and 2 moreso than the 3. The Rockets have two FAs, Dragic and Lee, where this might apply. Thus, is McHale saying that while the Rockets like Dragic and/or Lee the Rockets will explore other options this offseason?

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This is a ridiculous notion that gets blown up on this board way too much. What do you mean by high ceiling???... Draft the tallest guys??... Whenever this gets brought up the examples are guys like Hassan Whiteside, Larry Sanders, and years ago even Hasheem Thabeet was mentioned.

I understand if you say the Rockets need to draft more longer and athletic, but the whole high ceiling player notion is ridiculous. You draft the best player available despite height.

Here's one instance I hear alot on this board - Maybe a few years ago Morey should have taken a flyer on DeAndre Jordan. But that had nothing to do with ceiling of the player, and had everything to do with drafting based on need of the future.

Deandre was drafted where he should have been based on skill level and likelihood that he would ever be a quality center with the team that drafted him. The Rockets are getting the same production from Samuel Dalembert, and his contract is a fraction of the cost. At the end of the day, they didnt miss out on much other than some sweet looking throw-down dunks.

So when you say, they should draft guys with a "higher ceiling" be more specific. Do you mean longer and more athletic, or do you mean more playmaking abilities, what is it you mean???? Cause if you are drafting a guy late in the first round or in the second round that has the "ceiling" to be the next Michael Jordan or a franchise player for that matter.... show him to me please. Id like to see these guys that Morey Should Have taken instead.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Sorry. Didn't mean to offend Derons n***s.:confused:

8. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

I can't understand why you're down on Llull simply because he's not willing to pay $2.5M out of his own pocket to be the third PG on the roster. All it means is you're getting a more experienced player who's more likely to give you excess value during the cheap portion of his contract before overpaying him.

I really doubt that Kyle Lowry gets moved for much of anything during the draft; why would any team in the lottery give up a pick, when they could just sign Dragic instead? Or try and throw their hats in for Deron Williams? Or even throw an offer sheet at Jeremy Lin? I just can't see where the market develops for him until both guys are signed, and at that point, the Rockets have to keep him.

9. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

High ceiling is just a code word for athletic and relatively unproductive in college, at least for those prospects that actually slip out of the top 5 in every draft. It assumes that every prospect has a ridiculous work ethic, and that every skill can be taught, but height and speed cannot.

I don't really understand why Morey gets a bad rap for not going with high ceiling guys; the 09ers were all picture perfect specimens of high ceiling prospects, while everyone's favorite Morey mistake, Jeremy Lin, was the very definition of a low ceiling, safe prospect; a 4-year, super-productive college player too small for SG, too slow for PG, who gets by on smarts rather than athleticism.

The Rockets have gambled on potential go-to scorers like Jermaine Taylor and Marcus Morris over guys likely to be 10-year role players like DeJuan Blair and Kawhi Leonard. Just because they're younger, doesn't mean they have the higher potential, and are at greater risk for not reaching it.

I just don't get where all the hate comes from. It's pretty amazing that in the past two decades, we've gone from thinking that guys can actually get better into their early 30s, like Hakeem and Ewing, to thinking that they have to show something by the end of their rookie contract, to thinking that anyone who stays for more than 1 year in college is automatically a low-ceiling prospect.

1 person likes this.
  10. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

agree with all but the review on ppat. i don't think he will ever be a starting pf. he has great open mid j but his low post moves doesn't exist at all. he has known his flaws since joining rox but he hasn't developed a bit at all. i am very disappointed.

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I thought he was just looking for assurances that he would be apart of the rotation. I don't think any team will garuntee him the starting job.

12. epicbeardabe

epicbeardabe Contributing Member

Can someone tell me the good and bad with Spencer Hawes? I never really watched him play too much but do you think he would be a player that could fill the hole in the middle for the Rockets?

I'm just intrigued with the kid and wondering if he can be a legit C

13. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

going all in for gordon should be plan b to trading for dwight.

it would be nice to see the hornets left with nothing but aminu a pick for chris paul

go all in morey, they won't pay him more than 12 million.

dragic or lowry
    gordon / lee
    parsons / budinger / morris
    scola / patterson
    camby / monty

2 picks and trade assets in martin, lowry, and dalembert

#33 BEAT LA, May 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012
  14. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

i dont think there will be anyone with potential to be very good when the rockets are on board. they need to trade up even if its just 1-3 spots....should have lost that game vs the hornets.

i was reading the notes on nbadraft.net....anyone think the cavs will exercise their right to swap with miami's pick they received from the lebron trade? i mean they traded lebron for it so it should be worth something.

15. DaFranchise03

DaFranchise03 Member

your just make a dumb comparison. Its like when people compared Lowry to Deron at the beginning of the year. Lowry and Dragic are good PGs but they will never be on Deron's level.

16. DaFranchise03

DaFranchise03 Member

your just making a dumb comparison

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Just that one March in 2012. Truthfully, they don't have to be on Derons level to get this team where it needs to be. We don't need Deron. PG is not where we had problems. You guys just want him because of name recognition. Deron could not help his own team. What makes you think he will help this one. Please don't give me that garbage about his team being garbage. At least we have been over .500 without our stars for the past three seasons. Remember? Team full of role players? Still getting over .500??? In the west??? Can Deron say the same?

18. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

We need either Sullinger, Beal, Barnes or PJIII. I would be happy with any one of these guys. They all represent a player that has a slightly heightened possibility of being a key building block type. I feel pretty confidant that in 5 years one or two of those guys will be all star type.

My preference in order is Beal, Barnes, Sullinger, PJIII.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If Deron is the best you can get, you take him.... He is well recognized around the league, will draw attention, will draw more all star talent automatically ... you called it... Name recognition

He has had a mediocre season but what he did when he was a j*zz was pretty spectacular

20. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I like Deron and think he would add a lot to the Rockets. He is certainly someone that would attract other free agent or free agent to be players but I just don't think we have a shot at him. If he does not stay in New Jersey then I think he will go home to Dallas.

My worry as I said earlier is loosing Dragic while pursuing Deron Williams. Dragic will get scooped up real quick IMO if we don't lock him up.