1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to fire Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by b2bizchina, Jan 4, 2012.

1. dreamshake97

dreamshake97 Member

If the Morey haters are morons then so are the morey lovers who think he is a top 3 GM…

i'd say he is at 50/50… and if he doesn't do well in the off season WITH cap space to work with, and 2 first round picks then i don't see how the love affair with him can continue with some of you guys…

The rockets have had bad luck with injuries which isn't anyone's fault, just bad luck. but he doesn't have that crutch to stand on anymore, he's freeing up cap space and now let's see his magic like most of you think he has.. i sometimes think Morey is really good at not making a franchise terrible but can't figure out how to make us a legit contender.. and if anyone thinks just getting Pau Gasol and NeNe here would have made us contenders you are nuts..

2. Relentless

Relentless Member

"Would have", not "would of" you idiot.

2 people like this.
  3. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

Will not say Morey a top 3 GM anymore but Gasol and Nene would have made us far better. Getting Gasol would have made us better. We would have actually had a legit post scorer.

4. meh

meh Member

Morey created a .500 team using nothing but players with almost no trade value and low first rounders. How many GMs can do this? Feel free look at any other team. For example, let's say withe Spurs. If Duncan and Manu gets injured, has Buford make a .500 team out of the rest of the players next year? How about the Lakers if Kobe/Gasol had career ending injuries? What about OKC with Durant/Westbrook?

There are teams in the NBA that have gone years of crapiness armed with multiple top 5, top 10 picks that barely achieve .500. Morey did it trading the likes of 2nd round picks and Rafer Alstons. Yes, I consider such a GM one of the best in the NBA.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Start looking at the players that Morey has targeted... an overwhelming majority of them have done very well. He knows what he is doing when it comes to evaluating talent. He has surrounded himself with very bright and innovative people.

Unfortunately he has had horrible luck, and has an owner that wants to win so bad that he will not let the GM rebuild or tank.

Imagine trying to do your job under those conditions... it is very hard.

If you want to argue that he is not a top 3 GM until he gets the Rockets into the Finals... I can understand that..... but I think it is hard to say he is only mediocre, as he clearly is better than that.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Isn't that also the draft that the Rockets were about to get Brandon Roy?

Also, wouldn't want Rudy Gay on the Rockets, he is getting superstar money for an above average player.

7. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

What would a different GM have done in the same time frame Morey has been here that would have the team contending right now? It's understandable to not be happy with the Rocket's in their current form, but if you want to fire Morey you should have some reason to think that a different GM would make us better rather than make us worse.

Some of you seem to think that being unable to land a superstar in the last year is a failure of Morey, but to me it is more logical to assume that no GM was going to get the stars who have been on the trade block so far to Houston. There is no reason to believe that if the Rockets had any other GM in the world other than Morey that they would have Lebron, Wade, Bosh, or Carmello locked up to a long term contract in Houston. Carmello wouldn't have picked Houston over New York if we swapped GM's with the Knicks. There is no GM in the world that was going to get Lebron and Bosh to go any where other than Miami. It's not like they were really wanting to come to Houston, but then they talked to Morey and he ruined it, but that seems to be how some of you see it. Pick any GM you want and that change is not going to suddenly make us favorites to get Dwight Howard next year. So if you want to get rid of Morey because he hasn't been able to get a super star yet, please explain why you think a different GM would have more success?

2 people like this.
  8. onreego

onreego Member

Its funny when people want the team to tank its all good. But when they actually start losing..people jump out of buildings and post threads like this. Also, don't argue that Morey doesn't want this team to tank because its his job to say that.

1 person likes this.
  9. ArtV

ArtV Member

??? I'm confused. No true member of the tanking army is panicking or getting upset. Are you sure you aren't confusing a disbeliever who getting a taste of reality for a tanker?

Trust me...During the 82-83 season (post Malone), I was taping every game on my Sony Betamax (another doh choice of mine) and watching them when I got home after work. 14 wins that season. But I still remember that team. I never once got upset with a loss. You have to expect it. I would get upset with Allen Leavell flying in the lane with no real purpose that almost always ended up in a TO but a loss to better teams was expected. You learned to watched the individuals and speculated where these rookies (Terry Teagle and Chuck Nevitt) would end up. Later on you were asking yourself, how old is Granville Waiters - surely that can't be right. And payday? It always came in the summer.

1 person likes this.
  10. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Member

All the non-supporters of tanking will change their tune when the Rockets land a top 5 pick. I've said it since Yao went down vs the Lakers. Tank for a year or two, and either use your lotto picks to acquire a star, or keep it if Morey feels like that draft pick has star potential. We could've been done tanking by now. If this is finally the year that the Rockets suck to the maximum, I'm glad it's a shortened season that nobody will remember.

11. Russjr2

Russjr2 Member

Cannonball IT WILL NEVER STOP! After every game we lose there will be those that have to start a thread blaming the coach, the GM, or certain players. Telling us what they should have done and if they did we would have won the game. They NEVER take into account there has never been an undefeated season in the NBA. We don't have M Jordan, S Pippen, D Rodman, and coach Jackson all in their primes on this team. They always have something to say and some crazy as* plan to trade and make the team a contender. As if they have been an NBA GM for 20 years.

I wish Clutch would take away their thread starting priviledges! Please?!

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

Knee-jerk, knee-jerk

13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

We should definitely fire Morey.

I mean it's ridiculous that he's not even trying. I bet if he REALLY cared about this team he would've done something like organise a trade to get Gasol here alongside Nene, meaning that we'd be an awesome defensive team (Martin gone) - and also meaning we could've kept Chuck.

If Morey had worked hard to put a trade like that together, then maybe we would all calm down - I mean it's not like such a trade would get vetoed by the league right??

Unfortunately, since we get screwed by Stern, we now need to wait a few weeks for a team with a star to get itchy about their position so that Morey can 'make a move' with Martin/ Scola.

14. deshen

deshen Member

Lol, this is the typical answer from a typical Morey fan.

A similar question, what can other GMs make a worse situation than our current? not many, I can guarantee you that. Even Timberwolves, Kings have anchor to build around, and they are two of the worst teams in this league.

It is not a problem without superstar, no hope in sight is. Looking back the history for the last 30 years, there is no situation like what we are now.

15. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Member

How do you think the Rockets got Ralph Sampson and Hakeem? Just curious.

16. Rockets_Texans

NO! dont fire morey! fire mcfail!!!

17. Rockets_Texans

kevin mcfail is the one causing us to lose!!! he sucks. daryl morey should stay but definetly not mcfail. kevin mcfail needs to go. the guy CANNOT coach

18. Rockets_Texans

I WANT RICK ADELMAN BACK

19. Miracles Boys33

20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Everyone should calm down and let Morey tank in peace.

Look, free agency has not been kind & neither has the injury bug. It doesn't take a genius to draft a Blake Griffin when you have the number 1 pick. Let Morey have his swing at a top pick and let’s see what happens. While I don't think he's a god like some on this board, I don't think he stinks either. This season maybe the step back to move two steps forward.

IT’S GOING TO PAINFUL, BUT IT’S NEEDED! His forte is finding complimentary pieces maybe the draft can provide that long term centerpiece. I think the jury is still out on Morey, but the clock is ticking.