1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time the NBA bring back hand check...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sugrlndkid, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is the basic premise of the argument:

Players are more physical (and allowed to be so) in the 90's, therefore better defense was played in the 90's.

This argument makes an unproven assumption, that the more physical you are, the better defense you can play.

That assumption simply does not hold water. Two of the best defensive teams in the West, the Spurs and the Warriors are not known to be physical. They are good because they have good defensive system and smart players who buy into the system.

Shane Battier was widely known to be a great defensive player, but he was never a physical player. Playing physical and playing smart defense are not synonymous. I'd take a smart defender over a dumb and "tough" guy any day.

Today's defenses are much more sophisticated and diverse because:
    1. no illegal defense
    2. better scouting tools
    3. more advanced tactical knowledge

Sure hand check would have given the defense an edge. But it is far from offsetting all the other advantages of today's defenses.

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Increased perimeter offense has attracted plenty new fans

The entire reasoning behind the elimination of handchecking was to increased offense, namely perimeter.

3. marky :)

marky :) Member

What is hand checking going to do to slow down today's perimeter superstars especially Curry?

He has a vast array a moves to get his shot off and has counter moves to almost all his go to moves. The only ones going to be slowed down against hand checking would be point guards like Beverley.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

aaahhhh just two years ago . . . . LeBron was the new Goat and would never be eclipsed

Time for a new Goat
    Who will be the Goat in 2018?

Rocket River

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Need to get rid of some of the rules that hamper the defense
    like bull**** touch fouls
    and weak ass flopping fouls

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  6. Houstunna

Supporting Member

"Illegal defense" doesn't mean much when players are within arm's-length* of their opponent 95% of the time.

Advantages/disadvantages offset each other within Eras.

For instance, offenses share that advantage to help attack defenses.

A current player time-traveling back to the 90's wouldn't have a tool advantage.... but neither would his opponent.

Ditto last response

Exactly

There is no "all".

He'd still be good, just not as good.

Curry's lack of strength/size would get him knocked off-balance more with handchecking.

I think he'd still be the GOAT shooter.

#106 Houstunna, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  7. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

I mean, there's always been room for two transcendent talents in the same era. There was Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain, Oscar Robertson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Magic and Bird, Jordan and Olajuwon (though Jordan did pretty well eclipse the Dream), Shaq and Duncan (and Kobe, I guess, for those who think he was transcendent).

The fact that James has gotten possible-GOAT praise and Curry is getting some now is neither historically unique or disqualifying to either player.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They may call more fouls... But they undeniably call less touch fouls and allow more contact on the perimeter.

I expect to again see another playoffs where if teams are allowed more contact/physicality on the perimeter with some of the finesse teams... There will be an effect on offensive effeciency/pace/scoring.

Not sure why everybody just dismisses the ticky-tack foul-calls as unimportant. The NBA's insistence that the refs clean up the physical stuff has led to a noticeable effect in how perimeter defense is played, across the board, compared to years past.

Nobody is harkening for a return to those days... When the physicality eclipsed offensive skill.... But there is increasing respect for players of that era who were able to still put up big numbers (and let's not just presume that all those points scored were off isolation plays... And that Princeton/triangle offenses were in their infancy).

#108 Nick, Feb 29, 2016
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Flopping happens on both ends.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

11. Houstunna

Supporting Member

It's not about believing me.

Anyone with 2 eyes (who recalls what NBA arm's-length was) knows current defenders are within the same distance as the 90's Era nearly all the time.

12. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

NBA is a business. Whatever makes the money will be adapted. And right now is Curry and his 3's.

13. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

Well, there's really no evidence that the physicality made it harder (as I said, when the NBA changed the rules to cut out that physicality, the very same players saw no improvement in their numbers) and I don't really see an "increasing respect"...most people seemed to be criticizing these players who are saying "Curry would never have made it/been much worse in our era" as bitter and wrongheaded.

Players like Robertson and Jordan and all deserve credit for the great things that they accomplished. They don't deserve more/increasing respect for an era artifact that doesn't appear to have mattered much, especially when there were other offsense-favorable rules that no longer exist.

14. Ronkol

Ronkol Member

Evolution has nothing to do with it. But:

- Nutrition
    - Training regimens
    - Drugs

To hammer this one dow: Why would Basketball be the only sport in which the athletes aren't faster, have more stamina, are stronger (per kg).

It would be bizarre for that to be true.

I deeple resent strawman.

Point out where I said Jordan would be a bust. Oh right... I didn't. But what did I say? AHA!

I said that the 1990 Jordan (magically transported through time)would have as much adjustment problems as Curry would have if he made the opposite trip.

Nonsense, it's exactly the same as the people here are saying about Curry. It's perfectly okay to clainm the biggest star of this era can't handle the old system, but it's silly to claim Jordan would have to adjust to the current system?

Bizarre antics Nick.

I bolded your statement.

You are claiming Basketball is the only sport where athletes haven't improved?

Definitely?

I bet you a crate full of HGH, Epo and Aicar that you are wrong :grin:

15. Houstunna

Supporting Member

LMAO

There's plenty evidence that eliminating handchecking made it easier to score.

Perimeter players' IMMEDIATE PPG increase and efficiency jump between to name a couple.

#115 Houstunna, Feb 29, 2016
  16. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

The evidence says otherwise:

17. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

Regardless of defense or not, the NBA really needs to change its stance on ticky tak calls. Tech for talking trash? Tech for bumping into another player?

18. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Your stats dissect '04 vs '05..... handchecking was eliminated in 2000.

There was one (1) perimeter player Top 4 ppg in '99.... 3 in '00.

1999 - 10 post players in the top 20 ppg vs 10 perimeter
    2000 - 12 perimeter vs 8 post players

The players with the largest point increases were all perimeter except Shaq.

The league leaders 3PT% increased ~.15% '99 to '00.

#118 Houstunna, Feb 29, 2016
  19. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

There have been continuing rule changes about handchecking. 2005 was when the practice was completely ended along with various other forms of "bodying up" on the perimeter.

20. Houstunna

Supporting Member

You should compare all years in which there was a change.

2000 was the biggest difference among all "tweeks".... and perimeter players soared.