1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time for Murphy to get back his mic

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tim562, Dec 15, 2004.

1. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2948044

It's time for Murphy to get back his mic
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

COMING UP
    Wednesday:
    vs. Atlanta, 7:30 p.m.
    TV/Radio:
    Ch. 51, KILT (610 AM)

The next night, after the acquittal, after the tears had dried and he finally did not wake up to a nightmare, Calvin Murphy was back in Toyota Center because to him, there was no better place to be.

He made his rounds, hugging security guards and the few Rockets players that were there when he left. He sat courtside in one of those ridiculous suits, sharing laughs and stories with those around him, his feet right there on the court, close enough to fire up a 3-pointer or play broadcaster again.

Murphy was no longer the defendant, forced to sit quietly while putting his life and reputation in others' hands.

He was Calvin again. Perhaps he just missed that larger-than-life part of himself he was forced to deny while on trial, charged with molesting five of his adult daughters when they were children. Perhaps he was playing the part to show he still can.

But with the sort of laughs that made his body rock backwards, with the shouts and hand slaps, it was obvious he wants his life back. He wants to sit next to Bill Worrell and talk about the Rockets and glory days and cookies instead of his broken family. He wants to be a legend instead of the accused. He wants to be — he needs to be — loud and proud again.

The Rockets already knew, but if they didn't, right then they were reminded of the difficult choice they and Fox Sports face.

Decision coming
    Murphy will not be back this season. The Rockets knew they and maybe he would need time after the verdict and signed up Van Chancellor for the season with Murphy to remain on paid leave. But when the season ends, they will face the choice.

There are just two things to consider: Did he do it? Can he still do the job? It's no more complex, but it's not simple.

The first is clear. He said he is not guilty. A jury said he was not guilty. The Rockets should then proceed by believing he's not guilty.

The second is tougher. He can still be the outrageous character and Hall of Famer. But the Rockets will have to weigh whether viewers will see and hear the show or the charges.

Will "lingering doubt" remain, turning games into referendums on the case?

Will his lifestyle — the 14 children by nine women, a side of him the public did not know when he became an icon — change forever how he is received in living rooms?

The Rockets can't share the public's shock, and in that sense his lifestyle should not be an issue. It was not public knowledge, but the Rockets knew enough for long enough that it would be wrong for the organization to turn around now and act as if it has moral objections. The team recently extended his contract, indicating it was happy with his work.

But it does return them to the question of whether Murphy will be viewed the way he was before.

Either way, they know they will anger a portion of their fans. Those who can't get past the case and the revelations will likely remain angry, while Murphy's supporters are more likely to get over it and move on. But that is not a reason to cut him loose, either. It still goes back to: Did he do it, and can he do the job?

For the Rockets to bring Murphy back will be a tough, perhaps even courageous move. But the jury said he was not guilty. And if anyone can shine past the charges, if anyone's strength of personality and style and exuberance can lead viewers past the scandal and back to the show, it is Murphy.

Forgiving fans
    The public has a long history of moving on for players from Pete Rose to Ray Lewis. If Murphy could still play, he would have been back on the court by now, and fans would cheer him as Lakers fans cheered Kobe Bryant all last season between court appearances.

Even in broadcasting, Marv Albert's career had been knocked sideways by salacious charges. But when he said last week, "McGrady for the win ... Yes!" that's all we heard. The game and his talent have pushed them to part of his past.

There will be others who will struggle to leave the story behind. Some never will. But by bringing Murphy back, the Rockets will not be selling out for a few wins.

They would not be endorsing his lifestyle. They would be standing by a guy — found not guilty — that has been part of the family for more than 30 years.

We punish the guilty, not the accused. To take the Rockets away from Murphy would be stabbing him not in the back but in the heart.

The Rockets can understandably struggle with the decision. But after that, they need to bring him back and plug him in.

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

Jonathan Feigen covers the NBA for the Chronicle.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't understand why the article is titled as it is when only to go on and clearly state that he won't be getting his mic back until next year.

3. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

exactly

4. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

Because its the TRUTH!!!

Look at my signature, and sign the petition

5. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I can look past his past. If the Rockets can make one important signing worthwhile, it's signing one of the great Rocket player/color analyst back to his post.

They have f**ked up on everything else....they better do the right thing here and sign him back for next season.

6. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Already signed - 45th signature

Calvin - Your the greatest, can't wait to see you back!!

P.S. By the way Calvin, in your free time, please find some time to show these guys how to shoot; THANKS

#6 tim562, Dec 15, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  7. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

Bring back Calvin. At the very least maybe he could fill in for VC when he has to do stuff for the Comets.

8. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

I think Les would want to do the right thing... He seems to be a nice guy like that,

9. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Bring back Calvin and TURBO!!

10. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Bring back Calvin!!!

11. Summer Song Giver

He belongs next to Bill calling the Rocket's games, bring back Calvin.

12. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

Bring back Calvin!!!

[​IMG]

I miss him so mu.. err wait...

13. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Didn't Turbo retire to training people to perform the stunts?

We need Turbo to train a new Turbo.

14. Agent86

Agent86 Contributing Member

I don't think I have stated my thoughts on this before but here it goes.

The only people still upset at Murph are women
    If Calvin were on “The View” this would be a problem
    This is not “The View”
    This is Rocket Basketball
    This is about thousands of drunken males screaming at refs and players
    We don’t care how many children he had with how many women
    He said he’s innocent, the courts said he’s innocent
    Get him back on the freaking air.

15. edc

edc Contributing Member

I assume this is a joke. Le$ has proven he doesn't care about the individuals in the "Rocket Family," and he has tried to get rid of Murphy so many times through the years that it isn't even funny.

The only way Calvin gets the broadcasting gig back - EVER - is if Les sells the team, or if the public outpour of support were larger than anything this town has ever seen.

16. BRANMAn

BRANMAn Member

Calvin murphy isnt guilty of sexual abuse...but he is guily of being a horrible human being.

when his best defense in a criminal trial is that he was so horrible to his "children" that they would have the animosity to make up such extreme charges, he should accept that his public figure life is over.

I wouldnt want someone like that around my team...and i hope you guys will see the same.

17. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

a wee bit excessive i should say

Saddam Hussein
    Adolf Hitler
    Josef Stalin
    Calvin Murphy

One of the 4 isn't a horrible human being

18. BRANMAn

BRANMAn Member

so in order to be a horrible human being you have to have commited mass genocide? where is that defenition? The man had more than 10 children that he treated like crap, went so far as to deny their existence for so many years. if you would love to have a father like that, then i suppose you wouldnt think he was that bad. No person should have been treated like that mean treated his children.

19. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Testify, my brother!

20. YallMean

YallMean Member

Forgiving fans?

Forgive him of what? What did he do wrong.

Murphy has to get the job back, it's still ok if it's next year, but he has to get it back. Otherwise ...