1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's sad and embarrseing to see this!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by drpepper, Jun 13, 2001.

1. RocksMillenium

I'm sorry that is just a dumb comment. Nevermind that Sam Cassell and Robert Horry played several years with the Rockets and won 2 championship rings. Or that Michael Dickerson and Othella Harrington helped lead the team to the playoffs, since they were traded they didn't count huh?

------------------
    "I'm not here to protect my reputation, I'm here to make my reputation! Mama Barkley didn't raise no chumps!" - Charles Barkley

2. drpepper

drpepper Member

I'll tell you what a Dumb comment is: Othella and Dickerson helped LEAD the Rockets to the playoffs. How mant minutes and points they they have to lead us there. Cassell shoots more and missess more than any three Bucks combined. And Horry is cool and all but we would need him more than one or two games for 5.5 mill to be justified. Keep your dumb comments to yourself Jocks err.. Rocksmill...

------------------

3. JoeBarelyCares

Rhodes turned out to be one of the best draft picks we ever made. This is because our refusal to give him up stymied the Damon Stodamire trade. We would now be stuck with the 5'10" Stodamire at $10 mil per year instead of Francis. The old axiom - some of the best trades are the ones that are never made.

------------------

4. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Member

How did that commercial used to go?...

drpepper...so misunderstood....

------------------
    One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

5. crash5179

crash5179 Member

MD contributed 11 pts a game as a starting rookie that featured Dream, Chuck and Pippen. Not bad for a Rookie. Othella put in 10 pts and added 6 boards a game as the backup for Dream and Chuck. Once again not bad for a second round pick.

Also remember that Rudy T and the Rockets usually picked at the end of the rounds not the begining. If you want to criticize teams for bad drafts then maybe you should start with teams like the Clippers, Nets and Wizards that have constantly drafted close to the top and in the lottery over the last decade and still has yet to sniff the play offs.

------------------

[This message has been edited by crash5179 (edited June 14, 2001).]

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Member
    Supporting Member

Dickerson and Harrington sure were useless. To think we drafted them when we could've traded Brent Price and a future pick for Francis, and waived that pair of jokers. [​IMG] Dickerson and Harrington were essential for the Francis trade. They were the two biggest pieces. Without either or them, we don't have Francis.

Cassell was a bad pick? A guy picked in the 20s, averaging like 18-8 is bad? Again, an essential part of the deal that got us Barkley. No Cassell, no CB4.

------------------
    "I think alot of people find Cato's game to be very offensive." -aelliott, comparing the offensive skills of Kelvin Cato and Michael Olowokandi

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My two cents,

Randy Livingston was a great pick. Near lottery talent recovering from an injury is better than healthy CBA talent.

------------------

8. PinetreeFM60

PinetreeFM60 Member

Thank you, Nike, for being a voice of reason.

Draft picks are a function of what you have to work with. We did not want a first round pick when we had a mature team and cap consideration in a couple of years, or we had traded away our rights for a deal.

In those circumstances, you do the best you can. If your first pick is no higher than 23, you do the best you can and try to get someone who (1) may give you some help, and (2) will have some trade value in a year or two, or three.

Othella and Dickerson made the Francis deal possible, and allowed us to unload Price and his $3 mil a year for several years.

Kenny Thomas is in the same category as Othella. He has some value because he has performed decently and is worth more than his small salary. It was a good pick.

Rhodes was also a decent pick. He played great defense. Apparently, he could not be coached on offense, however, but he was considered a good defensive possibility, and was wanted by several in the league during his rookie season.

------------------

9. haven

haven Member

Rudy-bashing and Euro-bashing in the same thread... wow. Why don't you avoid both of those next time.

I can't BELIEVE someone criticized Rudy for his 2nd round picks. He's much better at that than most. And the Euro-player bias, too! Stay away from it... the ratio of successful Europeans is pretty darn good.

Oh... and btw, drpepper... have you noticed that vets start threads far less often than you? Might be something you want to mimic.
    ------------------
    Lacking inspiration at the moment...

[This message has been edited by haven (edited June 15, 2001).]

10. PinetreeFM60

PinetreeFM60 Member

Haven, I agree with you on the Rudy and Euro issues, but your suggestion that the "vets" start threads less often and DrPepper should mimic that is off base and without merit.

If there is any one trait found on message boards which is consistently annoying, it is the attitude that the quality of the commentary bears some relationship to the number of posts made by a person and the length of time they have been posting on the board.

Criticize on the merits of the post. Those who fall back on the "he's a new guy" criticism demonstrate THEIR OWN insecurity. You know, like the guys who always went out of their way to malign the new kid in school.

If it is substantive criticism, bring it.

If it is petty ridicule, leave it at the door.

I am new to this board, too, but not new to basketball, or the Rockets, or in depth analysis of NBA ball.

Some of the newer posters here are probably young guys, if not teens, who are new to the process. Cut them some slack. Being rude to new folks is unnecessary in all areas of life, and self defeating. Sites thrive on visits. More visits, more success for the site. So welcome newcomers, disagree on substance, and show some respect to all who take the time and trouble to post.

------------------

11. ONfire

ONfire Member

drpepper-are yu an idiot or moron?bet you dont know :)

------------------

TEAM WORK BABY.

12. UofTOrange

UofTOrange Member

This may be one of the worst attempts at being a serious thread I have seen. I truly believe that there isn't a much better job done than the draft analysis of Rudy T and CD.

------------------

13. ONfire

ONfire Member

seems like o`l drpepper doesnt like rudy or cd maybe even the ROCKETS? say i bet hes a yellow teeth cryboy fan:)

------------------

TEAM WORK BABY.

14. MoonBus

MoonBus Member

PinetreeFM60, couldn't agree more. Some of the worse posts/threads that I've read are from "veterans", IMHO. There is nothing wrong with new posters starting new threads, there are going to be hits & misses just like the ones from the so called "veterans". By the way, welcome to the board.

haven, I enjoy reading your commentaries, but have to disagree with your call on that one. [​IMG]

drpepper, give me 10, wait let's make it easier for you, 5 teams/coaches/GM that have made better 2nd round selections than Rudy/Rockets during Rudy's tenure as a coach.

15. RocksMillenium

Let me see drpepper, Michael Dickerson was our starting 2-guard and Othella was our top backup big man on our last playoff team. And didn't we trade Rudy's "useless" draft picks for Steve Francis? [​IMG] I think you need to look up your information. And I don't care what Sam Cassell does on the Bucks, he has 2 rings with the Rockets and was an integral part of the championship team.
    Dumb comments? My thread isn't the one being laughed at! [​IMG] Instead of trying to shoot down Rudy T why don't you look up the success of all the other teams 2nd round picks since you seem fond of complaining about Rudy T.

------------------
    "I'm not here to protect my reputation, I'm here to make my reputation! Mama Barkley didn't raise no chumps!" - Charles Barkley

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited June 15, 2001).]

16. haven

haven Member

Moonbus and Pine:

Quite a few newbies are pretty decent. At the same time, newbies have an annoying tendency to start threads that have already been hashed out before. This is partly not a result of lack of knowledge, but rather because they haven't been on this particular board as much.

The "I want a prototypical player at every position" theme is very old on this board. It's particularly bad in November, right after the season starts and there's a deluge of newbies, or when the off-season begins. I think it annoys me most because it's so patently ridiculous. Rudy doesn't draft a Mobley every time, so he's stupid. Grrrr...

Some vets do this too. But it's certainly much more common around newbies. The vets who "newbie bash" simply don't want this becoming like the ESPN.com boards. And if tha t means coming down hard on redundant threads, that's fine with me.

------------------
    Lacking inspiration at the moment...

17. PinetreeFM60

PinetreeFM60 Member

Haven, I appreciate the fact that subjects are covered over and over and over again, but that is the nature of bball discussions.
    Except for more topical matters, it is inevitable. More importantly, I appreciate the cordially in your response.

------------------

18. drpepper

drpepper Member

I am humbled by my peers. [​IMG]
    This forum is about stating personal opinions or preferences.Just because someone doesn't agree with you ,trying to insult them is plain ignorant! Next time just disagree.

------------------

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You are correct that you can state your personal opinion, but to opine that Tomjanovich is unsuccesful at drafting because 2nd round picks get cut, is ludicrous. When you start threads and offer your opinions, you are setting yourself up to have dissenting views. Also, you indicate that you can play better than Roderick Rhodes. How many NBA teams did you try out for? I am sure there are many teams out there that would, at the very least, offer a tryout for players as talented as Rhodes.

------------------

20. Ren Cooper

Ren Cooper Member

I disagree!!!!!

------------------
    Sam Clancy...Sam Clancy...Sam Clancy...Sam Clancy...Sam Clancy