1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's sad and embarrseing to see this!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by drpepper, Jun 13, 2001.

1. drpepper

drpepper Member

I was just checking nbadraft.net and I saw a posting called "where are they now". Its about drafted nba players (last 10 years) that were later cut from teams. We had players in just about every year. Does anyone remember players like Tyrone Washington #44(the next "Zo"),Venson Hamilton #50 , Mirsad Turckan #18, Rodrick Rhodes #24("athletic wing player we got a steal on") , Serge Zwikker #30 (smart center out of N.C.-Collier clone) , Randy Livingston #42. The truth sometimes hurts, and the truth is Rudy T and company will probably do it again this year.Especially if we keep all 3 picks.
    I predict we pick Haywood with the 13th pick. Good college player but will only be as good as Cato, a decent backup C. We could get a decent backup C in the second round! Haywood did not impress me much at N.C. and will have a harder hime in the NBA. The 18th pick will be Vladimir Radnwhatever. He doesn't speak a lick of English and his marksmanship will be shutdown because he's never seen Defense like this before. (Francis will miss him) Wasn't Turckan an excellent shooter, too. Another nice selection. Then at 23 we really do ourself in by taking T Mo and his unimpressive senior season. Oh, he'll have an explosive rookie season. He'll fill our SF needs VERY WELL. Dream will see our picks and be salavating at the mouth cause he knows he can sucker Les into a 2 year 20 mill. contract. He'll be sure to say things like this team will make the NBA finals and we have great chemistry with our own FA. If we do anything right, we trade all 3 picks for a top ten, excluding Pau.
    remember our awesome draft last year [​IMG]

------------------

2. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

you're right, it was sad and embarassing to see this thread.

------------------
    .,.·^*'´'|'\..........,.·^*'´¯¯¯'`*^·,...,/|'`*^·-,
    '|.......'|::\......,·'.....,.·:*:·,......'`i:'|.......|
    '|.......'|:::|.....;.......':,:::,:·.......';:|.......|
    '|.......|::;i - ·;i'`:,......¯¯.......,·´|::|.......|
    '|.......'´.......'|'i:::`*:~·.–·~^*'´: :'|::|.......'`*·-,
    '|........,.-:^:':'\:'`:;:: :: : : : :: ::;·'i::/`':^·.,......`'i
    '|..,.:'´:::::::::::'\| '`*^~·:–:·~^*'´..'|/:::::::::'`:^:., |
    '´:;:::::::::;:-·^*'´.....................`'*^·:;-.....:;·'
    ....`·;:·'´........................................'`^·:;·´

3. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

How about

Robert Horry.
    Sam Cassell.
    Othella Harrington.
    Michael Dickerson.
    Cuttino Mobley.
    Kenny Thomas.

It's easy to look at second round picks and say they suck. Second round picks rarely make the roster for any team.

------------------
    "I always thought it was something that went around my house"
    - World B. Free on Defence

[This message has been edited by Puedlfor (edited June 13, 2001).]

4. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

A lot of the players Rudy has selected played well while with the Rockets. For instance:

Rodrick Rhodes -- Rudy looked like a genius with this pickup. Rodrick had the defense and athleticism, plus the passing skills to be a very good player. While with the Rockets, he had some great games, and looked like our future lock at SF.

Tyrone Washington and Venson Hamilton were 2nd round picks -- you can't fault Rudy there.

Serge Zwikker and Randy Livinston were also 2nd rounders. Serge was just the best player available at the time, and Randy had some good minutes with us.

Basically, you're criticizing 2nd rounders, which are a crap-shoot. Mirsad Turkcan was a mistake. I don't believe Rhodes was a mistake -- in that whole draft, not a single good player was drafted after him. The closest to good is Jaque Vaughn and Marc Jackson. Vaughn is servicable as a backup PG, and Jackson is good now, only after some heavy time in Europe. Rudy drafted Rhodes and got some good production out of him. We all were like "WTF" when Rudy drafted him -- then he turned out to be a fairly good rookie for us.

------------------
    blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

5. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Oh, and I think last year's draft was as good as could be expected. We got another pick, plus Collier (jury still out) for our one pick. Basically, we got Collier for free.

I think the Langhi trade could be a huge waste, but the jury's out on that one until he sees more PT.

------------------
    blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

6. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

..sigh...Yes it is...

------------------
    Rarely is the question asked: Guns kill squirrels than REDRUM to fools across the nation?

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Who in the hell called Tyrone Washington the next Zo?

------------------
    www.swirve.com
    "Pre-born, you're fine, pre-school, you're f*****."-George Carlin

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

What a lot of people miss about Rudy T and their drafting is that while lower tier teams draft to rebuild, Rudy just drafts out of necessity. The Rockets are built through free agency and trades not draft picks, and that is why the Rockets don't have a high profile of draft picks that are immediately recognizeable.

------------------
    "I'm not here to protect my reputation, I'm here to make my reputation! Mama Barkley didn't raise no chumps!" - Charles Barkley

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Man, I laughed for about 5 minutes when I read that!!! [​IMG]

------------------
    Things do not change; we change. - Henry David Thoreau

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Be nice to the newbies Jeff. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

------------------
    "Now it is more clear that it doesn't make sense." -- HeyPeeism at its convoluted best.

11. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Hey DoD, are you on troll patrol tonight?

I get back on nights (finally!!) Friday, so I get my job back then. [​IMG]

------------------
    I always thought "With my talent, it's only a matter of time before I'm discovered". Now I think "With my talent, it's only a matter of time before I'm found out".

12. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Is it me, or do all of the newest Junior Members on the BBS suck at posting?

------------------
    "We make more, but we spend more."
    Patrick Ewing

13. PinetreeFM60

PinetreeFM60 Member

------------------

[This message has been edited by PinetreeFM60 (edited June 16, 2001).]

14. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

If I remember correctly, Rhodes was selected on the All-NBA Rookies 2nd team.

15. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Drewdog..............it`s just you [​IMG]

------------------

16. writhe

writhe Member

drpepper-

You forgot Bryce Drew.

------------------
    I'd rather be MC Hammer than Nine Inch Nails

17. 3pointer

3pointer Member

Rocketman95: Who in the hell called Tyrone Washington the next Zo?

If I remember correctly when ever he was interviewed that is exactly what he called himself ! that's when I knew the dude was a dud! [​IMG] maybe the next Zo in some 3rd world country!

------------------
    When will I reach 1000 posts ?

18. DaneB

DaneB Member

Most of those picks were made in the second round. The only one I believe that was made in the first round was Rodrick Rhodes and he actually wasnt that bad. Rodrick Rhodes was a pretty good defender, but couldnt score worth a darn. Those other players are hard because you never know if a pick in the second round is going to turn out, let alone a first round.

------------------
    "I would like to live forever, because we should not live forever, because if we were ever supposed to live forever, then we would live forever, but we cannot live forever, which is why I would not live forever."
    -Miss Alabama in the 1994 Miss Universe contest

19. drpepper

drpepper Member

puedlfor-most of the guys mentioned had already been traded, so it doesn't matter.
    as for Rhodes, he was a total bust. I could have played better. I'm just saying don't get your hopes up.
    Think about it, how many were upset or dissapointed with last years draft.And what about the one before that.(most had never even heard of Kenny Thomas) Rudy is always trying to pull off some very awkward draft, and most of the time they end up back firing!

------------------

20. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Most of the time they backfire? Sam Cassell, Robert Horry, Othella Harrington, they were good picks. Most of the picks you're using to pound on Rudy are 2nd round picks. And you keep saying that Rhodes was a bust, he was a LATE first round pick. Since you're busy digging up 2nd round picks to blast Rudy, why don't you dig up the 2nd round picks of other teams?

------------------
    "I'm not here to protect my reputation, I'm here to make my reputation! Mama Barkley didn't raise no chumps!" - Charles Barkley

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited June 14, 2001).]