1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

It's over for the league

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Outlier, Aug 3, 2009.

Tags:
  1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

There's no doubt he needed to add some weight. It will help his rebounding and also help him finish a lot more "and-1" plays around the rim that he misses now. KD will never be bulky and is destined to be thin and wirey, but he needs the added strength. Remember he couldn't bench press 225 lb one single time?

He doesn't play a "big man" position (SF or SG) so defending PFs or Cs will never be a requirement of his. Of course, if opposing teams are dumb enough to guard him with "big players", KD will make minced meat out of them. As a SF, KD will become an above-average rebounder because of his length. Just like his scoring and shooting percentage, KD's rebounds took a nice increase last season. If you don't think averaging 6.5 rebs while scoring over 25 points and being only 20 years-old isn't "good enough", then we agree to severely disagree.

2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I'm sure this has been addressed later in the thread (but I'm too tired to read the rest) so I'll just say...

Did you miss the part where Kevin Durant has already played in the NBA and put up 25/7/3 against these "taller, smarter NBA players" in just his 2nd NBA season? Not to mention his percentages were superb (48/42/86).

He made a giant leap in efficiency from his rookie to sophomore season, and raised his scoring average by 5 points on just 2 extra shots. Once he gets to 22+ shots per game, a 30ppg average will follow.

3. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I like KD and I have to agree with this. Gaining weight, finishing stronger, rebounding more - those are nice but he should really be focusing on how he can become a better passer and get his teammates in positions to score. Mcgrady has been a great scorer and rebounder at times but what made him special in his younger days was that ability to get teammates easy shots.

Playmaking and defense are key. It's the difference between a Lebron and Carmelo, the difference between a Duncan and Dirk.

4. kikimama

kikimama Member

I guess pure scorer = scoring without reb/assist
    overall scorer = scoring + reb/assist
    so someone who is a better pure scoring just lacks reb/assists but is better "pure" scorer because of this :rolleyes:

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Wrong.

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

It's worse than that. It was actually 185lb he couldn't bench.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

And he was still putting 25-13 in college.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

That is why you don't pass up on physical freaks of natures.

You don't pass up on 7 footers who are faster than guards.

You don't pass up on 7'6" guys that have normal proportions

You don't don't pass up on 7'2 300+ pound guys that is coordinated enough to break dance.

You don't pass up on 6'8" 240 pound highschoolers that can touch the rim with his head and has been playing with pro players since his sophomore year in highschool.

You don't pass up on 6'10 freshman who have a 7'5" wingspans and 9'2" inch reach that plays the wing position especially after posting 25 and 13 in college while playing in one of the toughest conferences.

9. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Look, Kelly girl. let me tell you something. All I'm saying he looks to score more then he sets his team up and making them better. All the superstars in the league make their team better. Hell the Rockets have a better record when Yao's on the court. Until he learns that, hel'll be in the same boat as DOMINIQUE WILKINs, and T-Slack, great scorers, great stats, but doesn't get their team deep in the playoffs. So get back at me girl when Durant gets his team to the Western semis. Then I'll get him props.

10. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

kevin durant is a special player. it's amazing how fluid and smooth and skilled he is when he is so tall with such long arms. most people don't have that kind of coordination or dribbling ability with that size. lol @ beasley at the end.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

20 year-old string-bean Kevin Durant averaged 6.5 rebounds while scoring over 25 points. How is that a "lack of rebounding".

Can anyone explain this to me? It's clear a lot of you guys who are commenting about KD know almost nothing about the guy except his scoring average. He made huge improvements last season vs. his rookie year but you still repeat the same cliches that don't apply. You are a whole year behind the curve.

12. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Kevin Durant is amazing. Very capable of being an MVP..

Same goes for Rose.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kelly isn't a girl.

try googling his name and see what shows up.

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I know. The guy was/is a basketball freak.

I think him adding some muscle is a good thing. Of course, the strength benefit is obvious but having a little more bulk to punish the defender when they collide is a nice benefit.

I can't remember who it was but somebody said him adding weight will slow him down but I doubt that will be the case. If anything it may make it a bit quicker and certainly more explosive. Don't believe me? Take a look at the best sprinters in the world.

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Even if he was, I don't see what's the point of referring to gender twice in the post. I mean does that stregthen his argument or something.. :rolleyes:

Needless to say, some newbies need to get with the program.

16. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

So here is the question:

Durant or McGrady in his PRIME (Orlando beast style) ?

17. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

As long as he doesn't lose his agility. I know he still looks stick thin, but the biggest worry I have with players adding on too much weight too fast is injuries. His body might not be suited for playing with that much weight so soon. I'm in the Mathloom camp hoping he takes it slow. Improving strength/conditioning should be more important than simply gaining bulk.

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Thats hard because even in Orlando Tmac would take parts of seasons off and he was never efficient.

I would probably take Tmac if it were a one season rental I may change my mind after the beginning of this season. Durant is going into his third season which is when many players make their big jump.

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

When you train or are on a program, there is a reason why you don't work the same part every day. When you muscle build, its like you're tearing the muscle to be layered. If you say you worked the same muscle group every day, you're not healing. For example, I went to SWT and at the end of the season, we would do a bmi and max on bench,squat,and power cleans. Once we did that, the strength coach would have number of reps at a certain weight that would build stregnth. Never did we do one thing every day. One day it might be bench,curls,lat pulls,pushups, and something one day and the next day it would be squats,power clean,quads,situps, and stuff like that. Basically we would do that and hoop everyday. I was 6'4 190 and went from a bench of 225 to 280 and a aquat of 340 to 390 and gained 5lbs of muscle in those 3 months. When you're already thin vs someone with more fat, the muscle building is different. The guys with fat can just do a lot of light weight reps and get ripped but lean guys just get ripped, but don't have the mass.Not to mention you're metabolism is so fast that a guy like durant probably lose weight and muscle during the season.

20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Yeah, durant doesn't have to look like kevin willis, but getting strong to finish plays and the 4th is vital. I think he's a really player and I don't agree, but he hasn't helped the thunder any more than gay has the grizzlies, yet people always says rudy is a chucker on a losing team. What's the difference?