1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Only Fair

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thacabbage, Aug 24, 2005.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Nice post, thacabbage. I agree.

2. kwik_e_mart

kwik_e_mart Member

This is the most encouraging post that is written by a normal forumer so far in this offseason... Well done... (and the 5 stars...)

3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think I'm gonna complain about draftin that Yao Fella' :D

4. rvpals

rvpals Member

It's a little easier to let a deal come to you when you got two player magnet in Yao & TMac.

I think his most important quality is the way he talks to the free agents, how he make them feel like they're the missing piece of puzzle and tell them even though I don't have a lot of money to offer you but you're the missing piece to our championship run. Kudos to CD. Somebody mentioned that CD is just the one go out and get the deal done, how to put together this team is all JVG's. Kudos to JVG for putting together this team.

5. rvpals

rvpals Member

That's just luck. Remember we were so lucky to win the No.1 Pick. Actually credit should go to Francis. :D

6. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

i do not agree. There where a lot of people, and posters who wanted to trade the pick, or draft jay Williams. CD did great in drafting Yao and in making sure he would come.
    CD did a great job.

(also Drafting mobley was pretty good)

7. RioGrando

RioGrando Member

Good post! This is why I come to clutchfans.net, to see what real fans like me think about our great team!

8. rvpals

rvpals Member

Prop to CD and Rudy to stay the course and go the extra miles to get Yao. That's why they're the GM we're just the fans. :rolleyes:

Part of the credit has to go to Francis for getting the 1st pick, otherwise we'll have chance of getting Yao. I remembered we are pretty long shot of landing Number 1 pick (it's 13th most likely to get the no.1 pick or something

9. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Beautiful! This type of analysis and post is why I joined the BBS. Thanks for your GREAT post CB.

10. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Actually Francis and mobley wanted odom, and the number 8 pick. So no yao, so giving Francis credit is not right.

what i meant was that there was a lot of problems with getting Yao, Nobody ever had to do so much in order to pick a player. And there were a lot of experts who said yao would be a bust, And williams would be great. So i still feel that CD did a great job in drafting him.(i Also remember that they liked Amare verry much, and if they didn't get so lucky in the lotery they would have drafted him).

11. roxgirl

roxgirl Member

Sorry, that one might go to Yao...

12. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Well Sura is always on the floor, but I guess it could go to Yao.

I forgot one too,

Most time spent on the bench- Vin Baker

13. Believe

Believe Contributing Member

YOU LEFT ONE OUT!!!! :D :D :D :D

14. Toast

Toast Member

WTF? A great post to start a thread and it immediately turns into CD doesn't do anything; it's Rudy T sucking as a GM and JVG rocking as a GM?

How quickly some of you forget when Rudy T was coach, CD drafted Bob, Cassell, hell even Mobley. You totally ignore the fact that after winning a championship, CD makes a blockbuster trade to bring in Clyde Drexler - and a second championship. Not to mention the next year when he tried to give us another shot with Seattle-beater, Charles Barkley. And then the NEXT year when he made a move to land us ANOTHER huge name in the free agent market (to remain nameless. That rat b*stard.).

I'm definitely glad to see CD get some kudos on the board here. But please. Some people around here think signing Stromile Swift is the only smart thing CD's ever done around here. Give me a freaking break.

15. nene

nene Contributing Member

Great post. Here's to CD.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Francis didn't get us the pick. He just showed up. Luck gave us the pick. Only superstitious people believe that Francis had anything to do with the pick.

As someone pointed out, getting the pick was luck. But using that pick to get Yao wasn't just luck. CD/Rudy did a good job in sticking to it under a lot of pressure plus all the red tapes in China.

BTW, I must also confess that I underestimated JVG's ability to assemble a great team. He made a few mistakes (Ward, Oakley, Piatkowski) but they are not big mistakes. He, teamed with CD, has done wonders.

17. Bassfly

Bassfly Member

JVG saved CD's job, and CD saved JVG's.

18. Nero

Nero Member

I think Doc Rocket made it pretty clear a few weeks ago that it was JVG pulling those strings.

19. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Wow. Great post thecabbage.

20. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Doc Rocket.

Oh, and JVG had also said publically he doesn't handle the draft, he lets the GM make the picks for him. I think Rudy handled his own drafts - so maybe that's another area where you see the difference between the two eras.