1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's official.....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hail The Dream!, Mar 9, 2001.

1. Hail The Dream!

It's official, Stevie Wonder is the best point guard in the NBA. I mean I look at it like this, if I was to start my own team, my first choice is him. The reason I bring this up is because last night I had a chance to catch the Rocks on TV. I live here in LA and I dont get to see them much. I follow Stevie's stats in the box scores, but last night I really saw how good he is. The scary part is that he is not even near his prime yet. What point guard gets 15 rebounds? And that is not even his career high. He really tries to play the team game as well. he is always looking to pass the ball and he could definately score more if he wanted to. He is the best in my opinion, but he is no doubt the most physically talented point guard. Is there anyone who disagrees??????????????

------------------
    "I can honestly say I feel I guarded the man pretty well, but the guy is playing better than anyone I have seen in a long time" David Robinson on The Dream 95

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Not just yet but I believe once he reaches his prime he will be the best PG in the league. By the way about always looking to pass the ball, in the last two games I've seen him fake pass to Shan and Walt and take the shot a number of times but he does make them so no complaint there.

------------------
    Arkansas' Biggest Rocket Fan!

3. Colby

Colby Member

You are not gonna find many on this site that disagree. He is truly a special player. Check out this crap that NBATalk said about him last year. Bet they wish they had that back, and the Griz too.

http://www.sportstalk.com/nba/power/rw/index.shtml

------------------
    "Chucky who? I thought we were talking about basketball?" Charles Barkley

4. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Not only best PG but you gotta put Steve up there with Bryant,Answer,Half Man Half Hype,Shaq, etc...... as the best player in the league.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

5. alaskansnowman

I'll jump in on this praise also.

Franchise will not only be one of the best PLAYERS in the league in a few years, he will also be one of the best pg's (if not one of the best players) in league history. He's got everything needed to take it to the next level.

------------------
    PrEsident of The Danforth Langhford FAN CLUB... He IS our future All-Star Small Forward

6. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

He is far better than Kidd and Payton. Who else is close? Payton has done a great job leading the Sonics to the lottery. Jason Kidd couldn't score if the object of the game was to beat up women. Francis is a rebounding god. He can score better than both GP and Kidd. He may not average more assists, but he is leading the Rockets to a winning record in only his second season. His only problem is that he lets every single opposing point guard burn him. Guys like Chucky Atkins score easily on him. Anyway, he has improved his defense slightly, and has made huge defensive plays in big games. He just doesn't play consistent D. Other than that, he blows away the other point guards by a mile.

------------------
    I'm the most positive Rocket fan in the world.

7. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

LOL, I agree, Francis is playing better than any point guard in the league right now.
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by tacoma park legend (edited March 09, 2001).]

8. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Yes, indeed, Franchise has got it all. He's got the 3-point shot, the mid-range jumper, the floater, can pass well, he's a good team leader, he's one of the best leapers I've ever seen, might be the best rebounding PG in the league, and to top it all off he can finish strong with spectacular plays every now and then. O yea, he plays pretty decent defense too. I don't know where you can go wrong with this guy. If only Jason Kidd had a good shot I think he would be the best PG for years to come, but he just doesn't have that ability...that leaves only Francis to be the top PG in the game. And the thing I love most about him is that he is so unselfish and doesn't try and do it all by taking 30 shots a game such as some of the other players in the league. He'll shoot 15-20 shots and still put up pretty good points.

------------------

9. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Damn I forgot about Marbury.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

No question he is top 3. I would probably put him at number 2 behind Payton but only because of Payton's defense. Even so, it is a pretty even match.

Once Francis learns how to play under control all the time, he is going to be terrifying. The thing that amazes me is how great a kid he is. Unlike Payton, Francis is just a great person who is infinately coachable and would seem to be exceedingly loyal.

I didn't really understand what I was seeing when Hakeem was drafted and playing in his early days. I didn't truly appreciate him until he reached his greatness despite being a Rockets fan the whole time.

I do recognize that greatness in Francis, however. He is really just a joy to watch.

------------------
    fArt don't pay the rent.

11. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Francis is one of the top 3 points guards in the game, and is playing the best ball of any of them right now.

Jeff,

I agree on him playing more under control. He's improved drastically but he still has room for improvement. His defense, which many people have criticized him for, is actually pretty good. He plays great on the ball defense, the problem is the rockets big men are horrible help defenders, and when Francis is picked and his man turns the corner, often times he gets no help.Also, the rockets big men don't even try to slow down Francis' man on pick and rolls, which is the play Francis is burned on the most. The rockets team in general is not good at team defense. I have seen him starting to play the pick and rolls better and forcing his man to go baseline, like he did to McGinnis in the Clippers game.

I still can recognize greatness and Payton possesses it. Just seeing him in the Minnesota loss proved to me ,once again, that if you get him fired up he's one of the best. Then again his emotionless face ,in that same game that was make or break for the Sonics, showed me the difference between the two.

------------------

[This message has been edited by tacoma park legend (edited March 11, 2001).]