1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Its official - Parcells to Dallas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by drapg, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

Umm...if your kicker cannot kick a 45 yard FG, then he has no business being in the NFL. If your saying he doesn't have the strength to kick a 45 yarder, then he should not be back. At the very least, you want someone who can kick a 45 yarder with some degree of consistency. If not, then find another kicker. Campo was too stupid to understand that you don't kick a 45 yard FG when they could very easily march down and score a TD in the time that was left(as they had just done previously). It was a bad coaching decision that deserved to be blasted. You go for the first and run the time down to zero. I like that much better than giving them the ball back.

Campo deserved to be fired with his poor decision-making. He made some bonehead calls this season which added to the crap that the Cowboys are.

2. RC Cola

RC Cola Member

I think I wrote what I thought wrong. I meant to say he couldn't to it with consistency, not that far. I think Billy has good range, he just can't be accurate sometimes. Plus with a bad line, it is not easy. Plus with a bad coach, it is not easy. :D

Oh well, I think you got what I meant.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

What I like about the Cowboys is while you would think we would learn from our mistakes and get better as the season went along...we actually got worse as each game passed. It was obvious the other teams were getting better while we were progressing backwards. The last game just capped it all off with the way the Redskins destroyed our offensive line. How on Earth did we ever win the first game with the Redskins? They pushed our offensive line around like it was the hs seniors versus the six-graders.

Another bit of advice...don't let HBO into your pre-season locker room next season. That didn't help the Cowboys one bit. That was just a distraction a 5-11 team doesn't need. I'm sure Jones made the decision to do that. While it was fun to watch, I think the Cowboys actually came away from that thinking they were much better than they actually were. It just proved they were a bunch of boneheads. Take them out to the farm and let them chase around some hogs like Rocky chasing a chicken. Yeah...that worked.

4. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

Obviously as a Cowboys fan I couldn't be more excited about the Parcells' hiring.

As for who will be the GM ... well Jerry will still have the title but he has stated that Parcells will have total control over the staff and will have a big say in personel decisions. Jerry knows that Parcells is more than qualified to make personel decisions.

Jerry also knows that at the rate the Cowboys were going under his decision making there is no way they were going to continue selling out Texas Stadium. Jerry also wants a new stadium, and he knows the voters would never vote for a new stadium at the rate they were going. The only way for Jerry to continue selling out Texas Stadium, and get approval for a new stadium is if the Cowboys make it back to the Super Bowl. Allowing Parcells to do what he does best is the only way the Cowboys will back to where they belong, and that is the Super Bowl.

As for the QB situation in Dallas ... I've heard two scenarios that are very interesting (and very possible).

1st Scenario - Dallas currently has a top 5 pick (6th at worst). It's possible they could trade up with Detroit, and select Byron Leftwich or Carson Palmer (whichever QB Cincy doesn't take). They would then go in free agency and bring in a vet QB. Both Plummer, and Greise could be available. Another possibility for a vet QB could be Mark Brunnell. Brunnell is expected to be cut due to the salary cap. Leftwich/Palmer would sit and learn for a year under Brunnell.

2nd Scenario - Dallas trades down from 5th/6th pick, and picks up an extra 1st rounder. They then take both T. Suggs, and Chris Simms in the first round. Suggs makes an immediate impact while Simms sits for a year learning the game behind Plummer/Greise/Brunnell. Both scenarios have Dallas picking up a QB in free agency.

I have a feeling that Chad Hutchinson will be traded during the off season (possibly during the draft). Quincy will either be cut or be given a shot as the 3rd QB on the roster.

5. NJRocket

NJRocket Member

7:00 est tonight

6. RC Cola

RC Cola Member

Oops. Nevermind what I said earlier then. I was just remembering what I saw yesterday not long after the deal was on TV. However, later I saw they said late Saturday so this is about right.

Sorry.

7. gr8-1

gr8-1 Member

Was Cundiff really that much better than Seder in practice? When I watched the hbo thing, I thought that duel was contrived. I didn't think Seder was gonna lose his job. Another strike vs. hbo. The ravens regressed after they allowed them in.

8. drapg

drapg Member

Live press conference on ESPN now.

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

What an awesome press conference! Bill Parcels is a joy to listen to. He is so comfortable and well-spoken.

I like our new coach. I like him...alot.

10. gr8-1

gr8-1 Member

Someone brought up Simms's name.

11. The Cat

The Cat Member

Me too. I don't want to wear a Cowboys jersey. :(

Oh, and DD, at K-State (top 5 team), at Nebraska, and the Cotton Bowl were pretty damn important games for this team as well.

(yes, Chris Simms is enough to bring me temporarily out of retirement ;))

and gr8-1, the question was "what pick are you going to draft Chris Simms with"? It was pretty funny. He generally brushed aside the question, but mentioned that he had known him since he was 2, etc. I'm stuck in the middle about the Cowboys, actually. I don't want him near a lot of these Texas fans (you know who I'm talking about, RM), and I hate the Cowboys, but it would be nice to see him every week, since I don't have Direct TV... we'll see.

12. don grahamleone

"I have nothing negative left to say about the guy. He is a damn good QB, and like Peyton Manning, he had the misfortune of playing in the same conference with the best coach in the country."-- Aggie fan Physics96 from texags.com on Chris Simms, the best quarterback in University of Texas history.

Chris Simms = first place in single season TD's, first place in completion percentage, first place in efficiency rating, and second place in career victories in the history of the University of Texas.

And yet some "Texas" fans still hate the guy????

13. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Member

Not sure if anyone listened to Skip Bayless {who was filling on for Jim Rome} yesterday, but I thought he brought up a interesting point about a quick fix at QB while they groom either Hutchinson or a new draftee. He thought it would be a long shot but that Parcells could talk Aikman into coming back for the league minimum and help bring some quick stabiolity to the offense. He mentioned that Aikman still wanted to play and that it would be a good fit for both Parcells and Aikman. I believe Hutchinson can be a good QB in the NFL if coached properly and has a decent line to protect him since he seemed to get the snot beat out of him most games this year. I think this is a great move for the Cowboys and I am actually excited to see what they will do over the next few years. I can only hope that JJ stays out of his way and lets him run the operation.........Good Luck Cowboy Fans

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I don't understand that either.

He led us to exactly as many conference and national championships than that one player who's considered a God by most of our fans.

It's really quite sickening the way Simms has been treated at UT and also very refreshing the way he's handled the crap that's been thrown his way.

15. drapg

drapg Member

Aikman was asked this same question on "PTI" yesterday. He said he wasn't interested.

16. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

I love it when Cowboy fans use "we" and "us" and "our" team, QB, etc...:D

17. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

Screw Aikman...I would seriously consider retiring as a Cowboys fan if they tried to bring over-the-hill Aikman back for a "quick fix". We are supposed to be looking toward the future. Aikman is done here regardless of what these people care to speculate about in the media.

If Parcells were to make that move, then we made a big mistake making him head coach. He knows better.

19. drapg

drapg Member

why does Jerry Jones call him Bill "Percells"?

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Cause he's from Arkansas.